or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...) - Page 868

post #13006 of 21790
Soon I can haz MTO Thorpe boots in GG06 last and vintage rioja hatch grain uppers. I'm a bit excited.

post #13007 of 21790
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

GG custom Wigmores today:



First time wearing them with light beige trousers, looks fine IMO...

Being derbies, hose deserve their own name - 'Spiegels'?
post #13008 of 21790
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

I had been adding black polish to the bleached toe, and it was disappearing. Then like a jack-ass, i try to shampoo it off, and stripped the finishing off of the toes. facepalm.gif

They are now back with GG, hoping for some magic...

Call me crazy but I'm going to attempt a DIY bleached black deco finish on the vintage pine chesters I picked up at the sample sale. Had a chat with the new GG patina artist, who was most helpful.
post #13009 of 21790
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.henrik View Post

Call me crazy but I'm going to attempt a DIY bleached black deco finish on the vintage pine chesters I picked up at the sample sale. Had a chat with the new GG patina artist, who was most helpful.

I look forward to seeing the results... lurker[1].gif
post #13010 of 21790
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Beautiful. Is that grey calfskin?

edit nvm was on my cell. looks like vintage rioja? mh 71? very nice icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #13011 of 21790
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.henrik View Post

Call me crazy but I'm going to attempt a DIY bleached black deco finish on the vintage pine chesters I picked up at the sample sale. Had a chat with the new GG patina artist, who was most helpful.

what else did he say? actually apply bleach?
post #13012 of 21790
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

GG custom Wigmores today:



First time wearing them with light beige trousers, looks fine IMO...

Nice, diets in regards to actual colors please.

post #13013 of 21790
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

Nice, diets in regards to actual colors please.

I forget the exact details, but i use all Saphir products. If i recall, I darken the chestnut a little bit with some brown cream, and have been burnishing the toe and heel with brown wax (with light brown wax on the rest of the chestnut upper). I think i even added a touch of dark brown wax on the toe box a bit ago.

Hope that helps...
post #13014 of 21790
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post


I forget the exact details, but i use all Saphir products. If i recall, I darken the chestnut a little bit with some brown cream, and have been burnishing the toe and heel with brown wax (with light brown wax on the rest of the chestnut upper). I think i even added a touch of dark brown wax on the toe box a bit ago.

Hope that helps...

But do you remember what color G&G used on the shaft of the boot?

post #13015 of 21790
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

But do you remember what color G&G used on the shaft of the boot?

OK, I understand now, you were asking about the specs.

Vintage chestnut & dark brown English grain
post #13016 of 21790
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

what else did he say? actually apply bleach?

Bleach (more effective but also more damaging) or surgical spirit and only on the non-moving parts of the leather like toe and heel. Also if you use bleach you need to wash in clean with water and ware for it to dry to see full effect. Bleached leather also soaks up color so work very slowly with acrylic brush without too much dye on it. They don't work with grey dye (Avel/saphir doesn't carry it - tarragon does but GG doesn't work with that).

If I can't get the effect I want I'll just dye them black which I've done before and is super easy to get right.

Btw, T Colledge & Son caries all saphir products at great wholesale prices if anyone needs to stock up.
post #13017 of 21790
thanks for the info, i dont intend to try this but im intrigued by the process would you please keep us posted? this is next level DIY stuff
post #13018 of 21790
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post


OK, I understand now, you were asking about the specs.

Vintage chestnut & dark brown English grain


My fault, but great looking boot. Those two colors work real well together.

post #13019 of 21790
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

thanks for the info, i dont intend to try this but im intrigued by the process would you please keep us posted? this is next level DIY stuff

If you don't hear for me it means I failed miserably 😃
post #13020 of 21790
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiser View Post
 

Can someone help me identify these shoes and where I can buy them in the UK plox?

 

13689020854_f154af91fc_z.jpg?resize=426%2C640

 

thanks you

Bumpity bumps

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...)