I suspect there's a big overlap between people who are interested in trying G&G - still a relatively new maker, and the only "new" maker at their top price point, and people who are also interested in shoe design and construction and have experimented with hand-welted, MTO, MTM and even bespoke from various sources. The common factors of high price and willingness to try something new, apply to both sets. And as ever on SF, there's a fair percentage of "alpha" personality types who do not like to have their favourite chosen brands or styles criticised!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Gaziano & Girling St James II Cedar/Kudu GMTO Last post on 11/9/15 at 6:58pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- Classic Menswear Lounge Last post on 12/14/16 at 11:47am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 8:51 pm in Classic Menswear
- ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. Last post on Yesterday at 11:13 am in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...) - Page 807post #12092 of 222735/21/14 at 10:52ampost #12093 of 222735/21/14 at 10:59amQuote:Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel
No offense taken DW, and I appreciate your help on the issue of my boots (amongst all your other contributions).
In this instance, Valeriy brought up a finished discussion, and because of the communication issue it came off as antagonizing.
It is curious though, a lot of these discussions take place in regards to GG shoes and on this thread. You don't see these discussions happening in many of the other well liked GYW brand threads. I wonder if that has had any effect in swaying people on their choices?
Maybe that's a reflection of how highly regarded G&G is...even among their critics.post #12094 of 222735/21/14 at 11:01ampost #12095 of 222735/21/14 at 11:06amFWIW, have found all this informative and interesting, though also depressing in that a brand like GG or EG likely represents the most I will ever pay for a shoe -- so if the perceived workmanship there is really mostly smoke and mirrors, all I can really do is shrug and know I won't ever do any better on the relative scale of quality.post #12096 of 222735/21/14 at 11:13amQuote:Originally Posted by budapest12
FWIW, have found all this informative and interesting, though also depressing in that a brand like GG or EG likely represents the most I will ever pay for a shoe -- so if the perceived workmanship there is really mostly smoke and mirrors, all I can really do is shrug and know I won't ever do any better on the relative scale of quality.
See that's the problem--there are many makers who charge less than the high end RTW manufacturers and still offer better objective quality than those high end makers. Esp. in your neck of the woods.
And many of them are bespoke makers.
Whether they can achieve the kind of fit that will satisfy someone who can literally try on hundreds of RTW pairs before buying; or whether they can achieve the kind of aesthetic glitz that the manufacturers bring to the table, is another question. But those are both subjective evaluations and only you can decide whether a local, virtually unknown shoemaker with no brand-name cachet can meet your needs.
But if you look, it isn't price that holding you back from better things.post #12097 of 222735/21/14 at 11:17ampost #12098 of 222735/21/14 at 12:43pmpost #12099 of 222735/21/14 at 1:59pm
Wait is there actual proof of this plastic toe or is this supposition?
In any event, G&G is attractive to me primarily for the styling and aesthetics of the leather.
Majority of consumer culture is smoke and mirrors anyhow.
Sad fact is, while I talk about timeless, I am not going to wear my shoes more than 6-7 years simply because styles change and my preferences with it.
Edited by Rincon - 5/21/14 at 2:40pmpost #12100 of 222735/21/14 at 2:18pmQuote:
Who would care about a little Botox here a little silicon there on gorgeous girl sitting across the table?post #12101 of 222735/21/14 at 2:44pmQuote:
Celastic is celluloid acetate impregnated cloth. Celluloid acetate is what ping pong balls and Kewpie dolls are made of--plastic, IOW.Quote:
Or a Timex movement in a Bedat case? Or pvc in a Leonard Logsdail suit?post #12102 of 222735/21/14 at 3:37pmpost #12103 of 222735/21/14 at 4:01pmQuote:
I don't know what the point is...if you buy a Bedat or a Bvlgari and it doesn't have a Swatch movement but instead has a Timex movement, it's still gonna run, keep time (sort of), and it's still gonna look like a $10,000 watch.
Is what it looks like, or the name on the face, all, or even mostly, what's important?post #12104 of 222735/21/14 at 4:55pmpost #12105 of 222735/21/14 at 5:07pm
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › The Look goes on... 1 minute ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 2 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 11 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 11 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 13 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 13 minutes ago
- › Handgrade C&J Selbourne 8.5UK - black and chestnut 15 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 15 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...