or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...) - Page 777

post #11641 of 21791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd I/O View Post


Is that goyser welt purely decorative? It looks like it's floating above the real welt to my admittedly untrained eye.

 

there's no welt.

 

the middle thread sewn together the upper and the insole, the braiding is decorative.  or maybe it serves a purpose, i don't know, but i've requested it because i like that look.  and afaik most if not all norwegian sewn construction have some sort of braiding.

 

the upper is then turn outwards and sewn onto the mid/outsole (or technically double sole outsole), again no welt.

post #11642 of 21791
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

170k sounds a little bit high for C&J but in the ballpark. $100 mil sounds high for revenues. Unless it's a shoe sold at a C&J store, they're selling at wholesale price to retailers. G&G produces wwwwaaayyyyyyy fewer shoes than C&J.

 

Yes, $100 mil is probably way off.

 

According to the Shoe Snob (who has laucnhed a shoe line himself, J.FitzPatrick), retailers will mark up a shoe’s wholesale price 2-3 times over

 

http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2011/05/shoe-pricing-from-cost-of-production-to.html

 

I don't know the percentage of shoes C&J sell at their own shop.  Let's just say 50%.  Assuming the average retail price is GBP350 ex VAT (average of GBP400 for a handgrade and GBP300 for a benchgrade shoe), the revenue is about GBP30M only.  Add those they sell wholesale to other vendors (including BB & RL), assuming the shoes are marked up 200%, then they would get only GBP10M.  So a total of GBP40M only

post #11643 of 21791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowkin View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

170k sounds a little bit high for C&J but in the ballpark. $100 mil sounds high for revenues. Unless it's a shoe sold at a C&J store, they're selling at wholesale price to retailers. G&G produces wwwwaaayyyyyyy fewer shoes than C&J.

 

Yes, $100 mil is probably way off.

 

According to the Shoe Snob (who has laucnhed a shoe line himself, J.FitzPatrick), retailers will mark up a shoe’s wholesale price 2-3 times over

 

http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2011/05/shoe-pricing-from-cost-of-production-to.html

 

I don't know the percentage of shoes C&J sell at their own shop.  Let's just say 50%.  Assuming the average retail price is GBP350 ex VAT (average of GBP400 for a handgrade and GBP300 for a benchgrade shoe), the revenue is about GBP30M only.  Add those they sell wholesale to other vendors (including BB & RL), assuming the shoes are marked up 200%, then they would get only GBP10M.  So a total of GBP40M only

Have you heard of any shoe makers that are similar quality to C&J, but avoid retailers and sell direct to consumers? 

post #11644 of 21791
Vass. I don't know if they avoid retailers per se, but you can buy direct from them. And IMO they are better than CJ

Btw I've purchased directly from Lobb and EG and their direct pricing is in line with their dealer pricing. I would expect most companies, not just shoemakers, to have that policy as to not cut off their dealer network at the knees - if that's the reason for your question
post #11645 of 21791
Oh, wow, Justin's site really is one of the online gems for us shoe nerds. I had forgotten about that excellent markup post from 2011, thanks for this.
post #11646 of 21791
@PCK1

Can't wait to see those pics you took of the GG trunk show, hope you get a moment to post those... lurker[1].gif
post #11647 of 21791
FYI, Vass no longer takes direct purchases if you live in the US (must go through Epaulet or NMWA)
post #11648 of 21791
Has anyone here used black cream polish on their vintage cherry shoos?

I've used Saphir's Bordeaux cream and black wax with awesome results but I'm curious what would happen if black cream was used instead with black wax thereafter...
post #11649 of 21791
^
I suspect a general darkening of the leather. It is my understanding that cream has a decent amount of pigment, while wax has a small amount of pigment.
post #11650 of 21791
Thx!

Thinking to still do a coat or two of bordeaux cream then work in black cream on the toe box and heel.

We'll see what happens!
post #11651 of 21791
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianGP View Post

Has anyone here used black cream polish on their vintage cherry shoos?

I've used Saphir's Bordeaux cream and black wax with awesome results but I'm curious what would happen if black cream was used instead with black wax thereafter...

I would stick with the Bordeaux cream if I were you...smile.gif
post #11652 of 21791

I use mahogany cream and wax on the vintage cherry

post #11653 of 21791
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianGP View Post

Thx!

Thinking to still do a coat or two of bordeaux cream then work in black cream on the toe box and heel.

We'll see what happens!

 

I'm thinking of using blue or black cream to darken the entire shoe to hopefully achieve the dark cherry colour: http://www.styleforum.net/t/236162/gaziano-girling-appreciation-shoo-porn-theard/4890#post_5767841

post #11654 of 21791
Some antibes in action....look slightly better than my flat indoor shots.



post #11655 of 21791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowkin View Post

I'm thinking of using blue or black cream to darken the entire shoe to hopefully achieve the dark cherry colour: http://www.styleforum.net/t/236162/gaziano-girling-appreciation-shoo-porn-theard/4890#post_5767841

That's a nice look!

Here's what I came up with: started with 4 coats of Bordeaux cream then 2 coats of black on the toe box ending where my crease is.

Then I went with a light mirror polish with black wax on the toe box also ending by my natural crease. I let it sit over night then added a coat of clear wax followed by a coat of black wax just up until the end of the broguing. Then, one more black wax coat halfway of the broguing just to achieve a gradual coloring from toe to vamp.



New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...)