or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard - Page 621

post #9301 of 13629
Leffot
post #9302 of 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by badsha View Post

Ugh. Which one of you took the Vintage Cedar Rothschild?

LOL. Don't look at me. I've been watching them (9.5E) for a few days. Decided to pull the trigger today and BAM!, nutting on the website:fu:
post #9303 of 13629
Same here. Within 30 mins of the sale announcement it was gone.
post #9304 of 13629
i bought them all. they will be on B&S this week. keep an eye out.
post #9305 of 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i bought them all. they will be on B&S this week. keep an eye out.
Niiiiiiice............icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #9306 of 13629
lolz
post #9307 of 13629
I tried to buy the Rothschild's too.
post #9308 of 13629

cross post from the shoe care thread :

 

complete color change of some g&g lazyman's from the Barney's sale :

 

not completely there yet but well underway to a burgundy black

 

also darkening the original insipid blue on the Gable

post #9309 of 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGent View Post

cross post from the shoe care thread :

 

complete color change of some g&g lazyman's from the Barney's sale :

 

not completely there yet but well underway to a burgundy black

 

also darkening the original insipid blue on the Gable

Wow... awesome. How do you do that? If I wanted to color some lighter colored shoes green (lighter calf than your first shoe) how do I go about doing that?

post #9310 of 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

Wow... awesome. How do you do that? If I wanted to color some lighter colored shoes green (lighter calf than your first shoe) how do I go about doing that?

 

   first step is an old fashioned nut check .... followed by a deep breath

   darkening the gable was & is a no-brainer. it's simply saphir navy blue dye over the top. works like a cham & buffs to perfection

 

   the lazyman was a fortunate accident. after eyeing the original 'auburn' color for a few weeks, i finally decided i couldn't stomach it

   & started bouncing ideas around in my head. having seen a similar style japanese bespoke in black i decided that's what i would go for.

 

   the accidental part was when i started applying saphir black dye, let it dry then buffed it out . . . . it started to reveal a REALLY rich black burgundy

   the original color was 'bleeding' through because i didn't even try to strip the original color. the pics really don't show the true depth when buffed out.

   when i decided i truly liked the outcome, i began layering saphir creme wax in blacks & dark browns over it. that pair is now totally useable for me

 

   a few things I did learn with this is :

   - i like the result best when i don't attempt to strip the original color. i let it sit for a couple days to let the color ' set '

   - applying the dye with an old t-shirt works MUCH better than the wool dauber that comes with the dye

   - remembering that i can always go darker but lightening probably wasn't going to work aka  slow down & take the time to darken in steps

post #9311 of 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGent View Post

   first step is an old fashioned nut check .... followed by a deep breath
   darkening the gable was & is a no-brainer. it's simply saphir navy blue dye over the top. works like a cham & buffs to perfection

   the lazyman was a fortunate accident. after eyeing the original 'auburn' color for a few weeks, i finally decided i couldn't stomach it
   & started bouncing ideas around in my head. having seen a similar style japanese bespoke in black i decided that's what i would go for.

   the accidental part was when i started applying saphir black dye, let it dry then buffed it out . . . . it started to reveal a REALLY rich black burgundy
   the original color was 'bleeding' through because i didn't even try to strip the original color. the pics really don't show the true depth when buffed out.
   when i decided i truly liked the outcome, i began layering saphir creme wax in blacks & dark browns over it. that pair is now totally useable for me

   a few things I did learn with this is :
   - i like the result best when i don't attempt to strip the original color. i let it sit for a couple days to let the color ' set '
   - applying the dye with an old t-shirt works MUCH better than the wool dauber that comes with the dye
   - remembering that i can always go darker but lightening probably wasn't going to work aka  slow down & take the time to darken in steps

hum, I wonder how it would work over time if you didn't strip the original color. By the way where did you buy Saphire dye on the US side
post #9312 of 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post


hum, I wonder how it would work over time if you didn't strip the original color. By the way where did you buy Saphire dye on the US side

 

   the creases & time will answer the first question.  Ron Rider's boot shop answers the second.

post #9313 of 13629
I ordered a pair of the Rothschilds in 10E UK before the last round of markdowns that just arrived today. Gorgeous shoes, but DG70 last just doesnt seem to work for me, at least in a balmoral. Will pass on at cost if anyone wants. (Approx $800 plus ship and fees)
post #9314 of 13629
Custom MTO shoes to go with suit by Charles Campbell http://www.charlescampbellbespoke.co.uk
Reply
Reply
post #9315 of 13629
That's an interesting MTO, I wonder how do people the tweed part clean though
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard