Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Gaziano & Girling St James II Cedar/Kudu GMTO Last post on 5/22/15 at 4:08pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- The Grad Lounge Last post on 5/14/15 at 3:36am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:35 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 3/17/15 at 5:34am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on 5/23/15 at 7:11am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard - Page 477
Styleforum Top Picks
They are comfortable, especially in warmer climates, they are easy to put on and take off should circumstances or culture require, and we all have our personal tastes - for some, they are aesthetically appealing.
I would ask the opposite question: why would one buy a nice pair of shoes, of any kind (especially an expensive pair like G&G), and treat them so badly as to wear them without socks?
Well, I normally wear socks that do not intrude above the shoeline so odour is not a problem.
My question was not whetehr one can wear loafers in general, sockless...I know that's a yes.
I was wondering if the G&G Antibes would look shabby or weird when worn without socks...as it is a pretty distinct looking shoe, as opposed to a penny loafer.
Apposite that they should be paired with short, very narrow trousers. Really rather makes my point: this is not "classic menswear", but merely a fad among hipster poseurs.
Fashion is for teenaged girls, gentlemen. This is the Style Forum.
P.S. The loafers themselves are delightful.
This is simply traditional menswear under the classification of the larger category of classic menswear. I grew up in Newport, land of sock less loafers and it goes something like this.
Grade school, trad pennies
Prep school, pennies or tassels
College, less pennies, mostly tassels or perhaps low vamp dressier loafers.
Post college and or post grad is where the Gucci bit loafer steps in. Mostly seen at casual social events, hanging around the club, summer casual weddings etc.
Wearing a pair of bit loafers sock less in a business setting is often telegraphing that the youngster thinks he is actually in charge, which sometimes he is.
This is by no means a strict schedule however bit loafers are generally thought of as post grad. In these circles this is not considered fashion but rather tradition.
You get the idea but I am loosing it, bed time now.
The shoe Fiddler references do not have a place in the scenario I am describing.
A modern local tradition it may be, but classic menswear, I maintain it's not. And Gucci horsebits are vile in my opinion, as is anything with a logo on the outside.
But I know this is an unwinnable argument - fashion is an indomitable beast. I'd just add that everything I've said applies especially to G&G's lovely loafers - in my view. Thanks for taking the trouble to debate with care and erudition - that was an excellent post if I may say so. Anyway, good night!
By the way, the penultimate picture in your interesting summary is rather nice, if a little staid. What is it? It looks welted and rather serious - definitely a loafer in need of socks!
Ok....so that's a no. Very helpful thanks. I myself suspected that might be the case which is why I thought it might be an idea to ask.
This is my experience, tried it once. The leather sticking to my skin made it unbearable. I experience no trouble wearing loafers with socks in Florida, year round.
- Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard
- › CCP Drop Crotch Dead End Trousers - 2010, Size: 46, PM/2662 WOCELL/9 41 seconds ago
- › watch pitch perfect 2 online free 1 minute ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 1 minute ago
- › Custom Suiting Toronto 1 minute ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 2 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments Bedford Kaki SS15 size L BRAND NEWS 3 minutes ago
- › How do I buy Vass shoes from the US? 5 minutes ago
- › watch pitch perfect 2 online free 5 minutes ago
- › New 3Sixteen Straight Leg SL-100x 30 x 32 7 minutes ago
- › watch pitch perfect 2 online free 8 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan