Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Gaziano & Girling St James II Cedar/Kudu GMTO Last post on 6/5/15 at 5:03pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- Classic Menswear Lounge Last post on Yesterday at 9:55 pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:57 am in Classic Menswear
- ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. Last post on Today at 1:34 am in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard - Page 477
Styleforum Top Pickspost #7142 of 180612/5/13 at 10:18pmpost #7143 of 180612/5/13 at 10:19pmpost #7144 of 180612/5/13 at 10:21pm
They are comfortable, especially in warmer climates, they are easy to put on and take off should circumstances or culture require, and we all have our personal tastes - for some, they are aesthetically appealing.
I would ask the opposite question: why would one buy a nice pair of shoes, of any kind (especially an expensive pair like G&G), and treat them so badly as to wear them without socks?post #7145 of 180612/5/13 at 10:34pmpost #7146 of 180612/5/13 at 10:41pmpost #7147 of 180612/5/13 at 10:45pmpost #7148 of 180612/5/13 at 11:24pm
Well, I normally wear socks that do not intrude above the shoeline so odour is not a problem.
My question was not whetehr one can wear loafers in general, sockless...I know that's a yes.
I was wondering if the G&G Antibes would look shabby or weird when worn without socks...as it is a pretty distinct looking shoe, as opposed to a penny loafer.post #7149 of 180612/6/13 at 12:44amQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
Apposite that they should be paired with short, very narrow trousers. Really rather makes my point: this is not "classic menswear", but merely a fad among hipster poseurs.
Fashion is for teenaged girls, gentlemen. This is the Style Forum.
P.S. The loafers themselves are delightful.
This is simply traditional menswear under the classification of the larger category of classic menswear. I grew up in Newport, land of sock less loafers and it goes something like this.
Grade school, trad pennies
Prep school, pennies or tassels
College, less pennies, mostly tassels or perhaps low vamp dressier loafers.
Post college and or post grad is where the Gucci bit loafer steps in. Mostly seen at casual social events, hanging around the club, summer casual weddings etc.
Wearing a pair of bit loafers sock less in a business setting is often telegraphing that the youngster thinks he is actually in charge, which sometimes he is.
This is by no means a strict schedule however bit loafers are generally thought of as post grad. In these circles this is not considered fashion but rather tradition.
You get the idea but I am loosing it, bed time now.
The shoe Fiddler references do not have a place in the scenario I am describing.post #7150 of 180612/6/13 at 1:46am
A modern local tradition it may be, but classic menswear, I maintain it's not. And Gucci horsebits are vile in my opinion, as is anything with a logo on the outside.
But I know this is an unwinnable argument - fashion is an indomitable beast. I'd just add that everything I've said applies especially to G&G's lovely loafers - in my view. Thanks for taking the trouble to debate with care and erudition - that was an excellent post if I may say so. Anyway, good night!
By the way, the penultimate picture in your interesting summary is rather nice, if a little staid. What is it? It looks welted and rather serious - definitely a loafer in need of socks!post #7151 of 180612/6/13 at 3:47amQuote:Quote:Quote:
Ok....so that's a no. Very helpful thanks. I myself suspected that might be the case which is why I thought it might be an idea to ask.post #7152 of 180612/6/13 at 5:43ampost #7153 of 180612/6/13 at 7:43ampost #7154 of 180612/6/13 at 7:49amQuote:
This is my experience, tried it once. The leather sticking to my skin made it unbearable. I experience no trouble wearing loafers with socks in Florida, year round.post #7155 of 180612/6/13 at 8:32am
- Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard
Styleforum Top Picks
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 1 minute ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 1 minute ago
- › Engineered Garments FW 15 2 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 2 minutes ago
- › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUN... 3 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 4 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 4 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 5 minutes ago
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong Kong
- › Deals of the Week, September 21, 2015
- › The Buyer's Guide to Fall Jackets
- › Why Flight Jackets Make the Best Autumn...
- › Shirt Jackets: A Study in Indecision
- › Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...