or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard - Page 431

post #6451 of 13623
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Thanks guys, I'll go on living regretted not having ordered the Wigmore

Buy the Wigmore anyway stirpot.gif
post #6452 of 13623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the sheep View Post

Buy the Wigmore anyway stirpot.gif

nod[1].gif
post #6453 of 13623
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Thanks guys, I'll go on living regretted not having ordered the Wigmore

Perhaps you could have the uppers redyed in a complimentary color?
post #6454 of 13623
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

Paul Krause's weblog regarding shoe reconstruction/resizing that involves pattern alternation.  But yes, not worth it IMO for a pair of G&G RTW.

Paul Krause is a heck of a bootmaker.

That said, there is virtually no correlation between the techniques nor the work, nor yet the understanding, required to resize/rebuild a pull-on boot and that required to rebuild/resize a shoe. I have resized pull-on boots on occasion for many decades. It's not easy...it's not always do-able...but its usually pretty straight-forward if it can be done at all.

On the other hand, replacing the quarters on a balmoral boot requires a complete breakdown of the boot into its component pieces. Even the linings will need to be replaced. And all those pieces will have been stretched/distorted during the lasting process.

For instance, the replacement quarters (being new and not stretched) will be of a different size and shape than the lining...requiring the lining to be replaced as well.

Then too, shoemakers often cut lining patterns differently than they cut upper patterns simply to avoid "stacking" seams. Sometimes quarter linings join to vamp linings both under and over requiring that the vamp liner be replaced.

Seam and lasting allowances will have been trimmed to the smallest possible margins...visible lines of stitching (thread removed) will have to be positioned perfectly and restitched in the same holes....

It ends up being a nightmare. And the result...even in the most skilled hands...more often that not, will shout "CLUMSY".

It would be far easier, and, if "time is money", cheaper to simply scrap the old boot entirely and begin again.
post #6455 of 13623


Maiden voyage

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pictures
post #6456 of 13623
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboo View Post

I am interested in Oakham. Should I get the same size as Oxford type shoes? I have st. James 2 which I started to feel roomier around ball joint. I have high instep but narrow foot and small heel.

Yes I would recommend the same size as your St James 2. What size are these?
Reply
Reply
post #6457 of 13623

To get a perfect shine like this, how? I know with wax but mine does not come out this way..

 

700

post #6458 of 13623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

To get a perfect shine like this, how? I know with wax but mine does not come out this way..

700

With lots of layers of polish applied and patience. You can also apply a thicker layer of polish and let it dry for a couple of hours and then use a cotton cloth with a little fresh polish and a drop of water. This works well on shoes already polished. I'm soon launching a new blog which will have short YouTube clips to explain in more detail.

Sorry for the multiple posts before. The new forum design didn't show me I had posted when I hit the submit button. It used to be a red colour but it seems to have changed now. Maybe it's only my iPhone?
Reply
Reply
post #6459 of 13623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A View Post


With lots of layers of polish applied and patience. You can also apply a thicker layer of polish and let it dry for a couple of hours and then use a cotton cloth with a little fresh polish and a drop of water. This works well on shoes already polished. I'm soon launching a new blog which will have short YouTube clips to explain in more detail.
Sorry for the multiple posts before. The new forum design didn't show me I had posted when I hit the submit button. It used to be a red colour but it seems to have changed now. Maybe it's only my iPhone?

With lots, I thought the shine came out the less wax you used? But Ok now I understand, thanks.

 

Hmm maybe only some bugg, can happend sometimes :)

post #6460 of 13623

I'm going to start using a 50/50 mix of 90% rubbing alcohol and water as well, the evaporation is supposed to help with shine.  But my best shines have come with progressively less wax over time and tons of elbow grease.

post #6461 of 13623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhors2 View Post

I'm going to start using a 50/50 mix of 90% rubbing alcohol and water as well, the evaporation is supposed to help with shine.  But my best shines have come with progressively less wax over time and tons of elbow grease.

What do you mean by elbow grease?

post #6462 of 13623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

What do you mean by elbow grease?

laugh.gif
post #6463 of 13623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

What do you mean by elbow grease?

hard work.
--
also, update to the channel separation on my windsors. i used the recommended leather cement, and have worn them a few times doing some good walking around on dry concrete. the channel has very nicely been smoothed down and worn in as if it had never detached.

thanks again for all the help and advice so many of you gave me. would not have been able to take care of that so easily without it.

cheers.gif
post #6464 of 13623
post #6465 of 13623
Oooooh baby those are purty.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard