Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Gaziano & Girling St James II Cedar/Kudu GMTO Last post on 6/5/15 at 5:03pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- Classic Menswear Lounge Last post on Today at 6:54 am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 7:22 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 7/22/15 at 2:19am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on 8/1/15 at 7:13pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard - Page 285post #4261 of 163957/1/12 at 4:14pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #4262 of 163957/1/12 at 4:28pmpost #4263 of 163957/1/12 at 4:41pmpost #4264 of 163957/1/12 at 7:04pm
Just come from this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/191166/shoe-construction-behind-the-veil
It's fascinating and definitely worth a read - the author is knowledgeable and providing some fantastic answers to questions
Having read it I'm curious - does anybody know if GG shoes are gemmed?post #4265 of 163957/1/12 at 7:12pmYes, the RTW line is gemmed.
As are all of the RTW shoes made in Northampton.
You will probably never find a Goodyear welted shoe that is not gemmed. It can be done without gemming but the time/labor involved is so great that one might as well hand welt the shoe if one is going to take the trouble.post #4266 of 163957/1/12 at 7:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gdot
Yes, the RTW line is gemmed.
As are all of the RTW shoes made in Northampton.
You will probably never find a Goodyear welted shoe that is not gemmed. It can be done without gemming but the time/labor involved is so great that one might as well hand welt the shoe if one is going to take the trouble.
Ah, thanks. The author didn't mention any brands so I was simply curious about GG as I'm particularly fond of them. I've got shoes that I've had for years that I assume are gemmed and had no problems with; and from what I read in the essay gemming seems more of an efficiency upgrade than a quality downgrade.post #4267 of 163957/1/12 at 11:40pmThread Starterpost #4268 of 163957/1/12 at 11:45pmpost #4269 of 163957/2/12 at 3:45ampost #4270 of 163957/2/12 at 4:08amThread Starter
same way that you make good wine, awesome beer and great bread - airbourne yeast spoils haha, plus this is what you get for not for not wearing them for over 6 months or polishing them enough etc i think the dark brown ones i wore out in the rain whilst on the p155post #4271 of 163957/2/12 at 4:42ampost #4272 of 163957/2/12 at 4:45amQuote:
Wow... Sorry to hear about that and hope the TLC too care of all the problems.post #4273 of 163957/2/12 at 5:55ampost #4274 of 163957/2/12 at 5:59amThread Starterpost #4275 of 163957/2/12 at 6:01amThread Starter
- Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard
Styleforum Top Picks
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › Wolverine 1000 Mile Addison Boot 1 minute ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE (JULY 31): FINE ART FRIDAY 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 3 minutes ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 5 minutes ago
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Carmina Rain-Last Tomir Soled Cap-Toe/Quarter Brogue 6 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 6 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 6 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...