or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard - Page 198

post #2956 of 13613
Ask him if he is Italian too. devil.gif
post #2957 of 13613
I'll ask him if he know you too...
post #2958 of 13613
Quote:
Originally Posted by claes500 View Post

I was looking at the numbers written on the tongue. My first pair is number 2361 (bought them in dec 2010) and my oakhams are 3183, does this mean that GG has only made 3183 shoes since 2006? And less than 1000 per year in the last year?
I thought they made closer to 2-3 thou per year?

Nah, the number in the tongue is the order number, not the number of a specific pair of shoes. An order can contain just one pair of shoes or 50.
post #2959 of 13613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaves View Post

Nah, the number in the tongue is the order number, not the number of a specific pair of shoes. An order can contain just one pair of shoes or 50.

Ah okey that explains it, thanks!
post #2960 of 13613
Thought I'd share a couple of pictures of MTOs that have just arrived...

This is the first Mayfair we have received and I have to say in Mole Suede with the Dainite sole I'm sure it will prove to be an extremely versatile shoe.
234

A touch on the extravagant side with a St James II in Vintage Cherry and a matching Suede.
234

Lastly a Cannes in an Oak Pigskin...
234

biggrin.gif

Cheers
Reto
Edited by retozimmermann - 4/6/12 at 9:53pm
post #2961 of 13613
That Mayfair may be one of the nicest dubmunks I have seen.
post #2962 of 13613
Love those Nice's! That is exactly the way I would have made them! Perhaps for next summer
post #2963 of 13613
Pigskin is a great choice for a loafer!
post #2964 of 13613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

Pigskin is a great choice for a loafer!


Really? First time I hear that, how come?

post #2965 of 13613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

Pigskin is a great choice for a loafer!

Can't say I agree.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir F View Post



Really? First time I hear that, how come?

If we're talking about Italian Peccary leather, which is very soft & often used for gloves, purses etc then yes it could be a good choice for a driving shoe or the like.

But in terms of the Pigskin often used by G&G - English Pigskin, this is stiff, almost cardboard like & finds wax polish disagreeable with it's natural surface.

Not recommended in my opinion.
post #2966 of 13613
I couldn't profess to know about pigskin from England, or the particular characteristics of it.

But I once had a pair of italian pigskin shoes that I really enjoyed. I couldn't say they held up a long time - but they were soft, comfortable, matte finished and very casual.
post #2967 of 13613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

I couldn't profess to know about pigskin from England, or the particular characteristics of it.

Ah ok. G&G tend to use the English stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

But I once had a pair of italian pigskin shoes that I really enjoyed. I couldn't say they held up a long time - but they were soft, comfortable, matte finished and very casual.

I guess your earlier post recommending Pigskin was based on this short experience then.
post #2968 of 13613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northampton Novice View Post


Can't say I agree.
If we're talking about Italian Peccary leather, which is very soft & often used for gloves, purses etc then yes it could be a good choice for a driving shoe or the like.
But in terms of the Pigskin often used by G&G - English Pigskin, this is stiff, almost cardboard like & finds wax polish disagreeable with it's natural surface.
Not recommended in my opinion.


I see and G&G loafers are made of pigskin?

post #2969 of 13613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir F View Post



I see and G&G loafers are made of pigskin?

I've owned & then quickly sold on a pair of Derbies in 2010. But I strongly suspect G&G continue to use the same Pigskin across all their shoes. It would be a good leather for a structured briefcase or handbag, not shoes IMO.
post #2970 of 13613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northampton Novice View Post


I've owned & then quickly sold on a pair of Derbies in 2010. But I strongly suspect G&G continue to use the same Pigskin across all their shoes. It would be a good leather for a structured briefcase or handbag, not shoes IMO.


So all of the shoes are made of pigskin there oxford modells too? I'm shocked, I didn't even know that there was pigskin shoes, im so lost in this world!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard