or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard - Page 829

post #12421 of 13080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsuo View Post

Are you suggesting these two creases are made by each pen(cil) held parallel to each other across the vamp?

Yes.
post #12422 of 13080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger la Rock View Post

Sadly, not G & Gs, but here is a pair of boots I used this technique on. Great hint thanks, DWF.

As you can see the creasing shows good symmetry between the two boots.

Done with two Bic pens pressed into the vamp just behind the toe cap.

If you're doing it by yourself, put one shoe on, kneel down keeping the shod foot flat on the ground, press the pens into the vamp in the desired pattern, and raise your heel a few times. Repeat for the other shoe. Done.

Very little force or repetitions required. The first creases you put in the shoe will set the pattern. As the creases set so easily, I expect this would only work well with new out of the box shoes. If the shoe has been worn at all, I suspect it is too late.

Good set of instructions--that's exactly the procedure I use for customers picking up bespoke boots or shoes, except I'm the one holding the pens.

And yes, you're right...once worn, too late.

--
Edited by DWFII - 7/2/14 at 5:44am
post #12423 of 13080
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

And yes, you're right...once worn, too late.

 

I (and for what I know, a lot of other people) usually try the shoes in the shop and walk around a bit to evaluate the fit, is my little wandering plus the wandering of eventual previous clients going to vanish the chance to force the creases where I want them?

 

Even when I collect shoes made for me I usually try them on and walk a bit in the manufacturer test room to check them on, is this going to vanish the pencil creasing as well?

post #12424 of 13080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macs View Post

I (and for what I know, a lot of other people) usually try the shoes in the shop and walk around a bit to evaluate the fit, is my little wandering plus the wandering of eventual previous clients going to vanish the chance to force the creases where I want them?

Even when I collect shoes made for me I usually try them on and walk a bit in the manufacturer test room to check them on, is this going to vanish the pencil creasing as well?


It certainly won't help. I would have to say that, if the shoes have been tried on and walked, using the pen technique is probably mostly ineffective.

That's just one of the downsides of RTW...

But bespoke or MTO shoes can always benefit from this creasing technique, right from the outset--the maker made these shoes for you, no one else is going to wear them.

People should understand that this procedure is a way to make the look of the shoe better, it is not a technique that necessarily makes the shoe itself better.

It's not critical, IOW.

--
Edited by DWFII - 7/2/14 at 7:42am
post #12425 of 13080
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


It certainly won't help. I would have to say that, if the shoes have been tried on and walked, using the pen technique is probably mostly ineffective.

That's just one of the downsides of RTW...

But bespoke or MTO shoes can always benefit from this creasing technique, right from the outset...the maker made these shoes for you, no one else is going to wear them.

People should understand that this procedure is a way to make the look of the shoe better, it is not a technique that necessarily makes the shoe itself better.

It's not critical, IOW.

Thanks!

post #12426 of 13080
My little Swedish bird over at G&G tells me that a certain MTO Thorpe pair has heels and soles as I type. I should have some nice shuu porn for this fan thread within a few weeks.
post #12427 of 13080
Trying to convince myself that a vintage rioja Canterbury is redundant to my vintage rioja Wigmore. decisions.gif
post #12428 of 13080
Get them both... devil.gif
post #12429 of 13080
Anyone know if the G&G at leatherfoot come with shoe trees?

And any success asking them to ship with Canada post vs. DHL
post #12430 of 13080
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Anyone know if the G&G at leatherfoot come with shoe trees?
 

 

Not when I bought a pair from them a couple of months ago. Mind you, the shoes were on sale, but I don't think that was the reason.

post #12431 of 13080
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodog View Post

Not when I bought a pair from them a couple of months ago. Mind you, the shoes were on sale, but I don't think that was the reason.

Thanks, not sure why they don't mention anywhere but include trees in photos
post #12432 of 13080
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post


Thanks, not sure why they don't mention anywhere but include trees in photos

 

I checked earlier - trees are not included in the prices but Arne was kind enough to extend the 30% discount to the trees also.

post #12433 of 13080
Not really G&G related but I'm trying to see if anyone is interested in ordering a pair of dark oak Shannons VIII via Skoak. If so, feel free to contact me or check out the Skoak webpage. Thanks!

Here's something G&G related:
photo
post #12434 of 13080
Haha, I see what you did there...
post #12435 of 13080
Hi all, Currently have 6 pairs of Gaziano and Girling (Windsor, Gable, Biarritz, St. Tropiz, Westbury, Savoy). I'm thinking of selling the Windsor and Savoy's as the last just doesn't work for me and because of that I've only worn them a couple times each. Was planning on replacing them with the Nice and Mayfield because they are the same colors and the last work well for my foot. My question to you all is that I'm also looking at the Rothschild in vintage cedar. I'm hesitant because they are the same color as my Westbury and Biarritz. Should I be concerned about having 3 of my G&G's in the same color or are the Rothschild versatile/different enough that it could be considered as a shoe that I would get good use out of? I appreciate your thoughts.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard