or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard - Page 691

post #10351 of 12527
Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasnordin View Post

Without having read all the post I'd just like to add this.
This is what I have been taught.
Quality IS subjective. It is based on your expectations and good quality is simply defined as something that meets and surpasses your expectations,
whereas bad quality is defined as not living up to your expectations.
Whatever you buy, if you are happy with it and it surpasses your expectations is therefore of good quality regardless of price/brand or whatever....

just my 2 cents

An interesting perspective. It won't be well received by those who hold themselves forward as the sole arbiters of quality, but interesting all the same.
post #10352 of 12527
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

An interesting perspective. It won't be well received by those who hold themselves forward as the sole arbiters of quality, but interesting all the same.

I can see the point being made but surely it is about craftsmanship, longevity and value for money?
post #10353 of 12527
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


+1

When quality (or good and evil) is subjective, every one has a different definition and thus there is no definition...and ultimately, anything goes.

This is also known as "relativism."

Now you're being pedantic.

 

Definition of "quality" from the Oxford Dictionary:

noun (plural qualities)

  • 1 [mass noun] the standard of something as measured against other things of a similar kind; the degree of excellence of something:an improvement in product quality
  • 2a distinctive attribute or characteristic possessed by someone or something:
Quality has nothing to do with good, bad or relativism. Quality is to do with meadurable traits, such as one could use to measure characteristics of a shoe, for example.
 
Simply need a good, linear calibration.
post #10354 of 12527
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonius View Post

Now you're being pedantic.

That's simply not true, because, at this point, the issue is not "quality", it is whether a subjective definition of quality has any validity. If it does, then we have no basis for communication. No basis for language.

Words have meanings...as your reference to the Oxford so aptly illustrates. That's the basis of all language and all communication. When we get to the point where it is acceptable to substitute your own meaning for commonly, historically, and Traditionally, accepted meanings, we'll all be speaking in tongues.

Language is the basis for thought. The structure of a language is known to influence thought, philosophy, and world-view.

If we define quality...if we define good or evil... according to our own lights, according to our own self important, self-interested standards we are fundamentally setting ourselves and our opinions above all others. Above commonly accepted definitions. Above Traditional standards. Above any need to interact with other people.

If that's not relativism it's certainly solipsism. And perhaps more reprehensible for that.
post #10355 of 12527
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimH View Post

I can see the point being made but surely it is about craftsmanship, longevity and value for money?

All three of those things are certainly important to me.
post #10356 of 12527
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

That's simply not true, because, at this point, the issue is not "quality", it is whether a subjective definition of quality has any validity. If it does, then we have no basis for communication. No basis for language.

Words have meanings...as your reference to the Oxford so aptly illustrates. That's the basis of all language and all communication. When we get to the point where it is acceptable to substitute your own meaning for commonly, historically, and Traditionally, accepted meanings, we'll all be speaking in tongues.

Language is the basis for thought. The structure of a language is known to influence thought, philosophy, and world-view.

If we define quality...if we define good or evil... according to our own lights, according to our own self important, self-interested standards we are fundamentally setting ourselves and our opinions above all others. Above commonly accepted definitions. Above Traditional standards. Above any need to interact with other people.

If that's not relativism it's certainly solipsism. And perhaps more reprehensible for that.
Good. So now it is established here that quality is something measurable, and the rest is esthetics.
post #10357 of 12527
Thelonius,
do not take this personally but can you please go somewhere else? For example there is a leather quality and properties thread.
post #10358 of 12527
^
+1
DW will entertain all trolling in the Leather Quality thread... plain.gif
post #10359 of 12527

the last two pages are awesome for the G&G thread.

post #10360 of 12527
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

^
+1
DW will entertain all trolling in the Leather Quality thread... plain.gif

I'd rather not, thank you. I hate entertaining trolls...their attention spans are so short and they live under bridges. And just when the dog and porny show is taking a well deserved break, the Thread Police come rolling in.

--
Edited by DWFII - 11/19/13 at 6:38am
post #10361 of 12527
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk-cha View Post

Been a while sine i have really posted any porn anywhere, so here it goes.....

New bespokes for moi, Dark Brown Super rare China Buck Monks Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)





Tan China Buck Chukka's




Laser Medalion Derby - Tan Hatch grain




yowza, these are awesome. nice to see ya round again.

---

i kinda wanna comment on the previous convo, but i dont know enough and i know ill end up being a dick.

so, ill just post my MTO st james II with medallion, on their maiden voyage. smile.gif

THANKS NICK!!!!!! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif



post #10362 of 12527
stitchy - delicious suede, and just what this thread needed - thanks. What colour are those?
post #10363 of 12527
I second that....icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif (5 out of 5 slayers)
post #10364 of 12527
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

yowza, these are awesome. nice to see ya round again.

---

i kinda wanna comment on the previous convo, but i dont know enough and i know ill end up being a dick.

so, ill just post my MTO st james II with medallion, on their maiden voyage. smile.gif

THANKS NICK!!!!!! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif




thanks chap, still around just dont have as much to post anymore, otherwise you get comments like above

loving your suede, polo or cedar?
post #10365 of 12527
Stitchy,

You really like that polo suede huh, very nice, TG73 last I presume.

Love that last, every time it consider using a different last, even the MH71, I keep coming back to it. All my GGs can't end up being TG73, can they? confused.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard