or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Trump is #2 in GOP Field
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trump is #2 in GOP Field - Page 66

post #976 of 8748
Seth Rogen got cucked by his wife on twitter a few weeks ago. He seems to have completely lost his mind.
post #977 of 8748
post #978 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Trump has a pretty good grasp of the politics of the moment, but he's not at all a policy guy. Hillary would make him look like a buffoon if he gets drawn into a policy discussion. Regardless of which side of the issues you personally fall on, it's not hard to see that Hillary demonstrates mastery of policy issues (especially foreign policy) on a totally different level than Trump. I doubt he even has enough grounding to attack her on the things she's actually vulnerable on.

I cannot speak to Hilary's actual mastery of foreign policy. That being said I have two counterpoints. How effective is your mastery on foreign policy when the average voter has a very rudimentary understanding of it themselves? Secondly, trump *may* have a much better understanding of foreign policy than he verbalizes. He has made multimillion dollar deals all over the world, you don't invest in real estate in a country where you don't know a great deal about how the country operates and the people operating it.
post #979 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract View Post

I cannot speak to Hilary's actual mastery of foreign policy. That being said I have two counterpoints. How effective is your mastery on foreign policy when the average voter has a very rudimentary understanding of it themselves? Secondly, trump *may* have a much better understanding of foreign policy than he verbalizes. He has made multimillion dollar deals all over the world, you don't invest in real estate in a country where you don't know a great deal about how the country operates and the people operating it.

Have you actually been following the race at all? Trump literally said during a debate that he doesn't know much about foreign policy, but would hire the "best people" and would know more than anybody by election time. It was a complete joke.


Voters understand the appearance of knowledge, if nothing else. Trump doesn't even know enough to fake it, which is really saying something considering his incredible arrogance about everything else.
post #980 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Have you actually been following the race at all? Trump literally said during a debate that he doesn't know much about foreign policy, but would hire the "best people" and would know more than anybody by election time. It was a complete joke.


Voters understand the appearance of knowledge, if nothing else. Trump doesn't even know enough to fake it, which is really saying something considering his incredible arrogance about everything else.

I've watched every debate and a number of trump speeches. Remember when he said he didn't know too much about foreign policy? Right after that comment he said he would hire the best foreign policy consultants he could and guess what… it had zero effect on his polling numbers. Meanwhile on the other side of the aisle you have Hillary, whose mastery on foreign policy led to the stigma of Benghazi (something which I personally believe was unstoppable and unfairly blamed on the Obama administration) and also voting for the war in Iraq. These two issues are going to be hard for her to shake.
post #981 of 8748
Seth is a fucking Canadian so he can't even vote!

Has anyone run into folks talking about how if Trump had just put all the initial money his father gave him in the S&P, reinvested all dividends, he'd be worth multiples of what he's work today?
post #982 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract View Post

I've watched every debate and a number of trump speeches. Remember when he said he didn't know too much about foreign policy? Right after that comment he said he would hire the best foreign policy consultants he could and guess what… it had zero effect on his polling numbers. Meanwhile on the other side of the aisle you have Hillary, whose mastery on foreign policy led to the stigma of Benghazi (something which I personally believe was unstoppable and unfairly blamed on the Obama administration) and also voting for the war in Iraq. These two issues are going to be hard for her to shake.

This is also during the primaries, the dynamics are quite a bit different. Even the debates are going to be a lot different. Trump can survive his utter ignorance in 15 seconds blips when the other candidates are terrified of attacking him, but how is he going to look in a two hour one-on-one debate focused on foreign policy? It cannot look good. It's a very obvious weakness for Trump. Maybe he could survive it, but it's crazy to spin it as a strength.

Trump's supporters right now are pretty obviously people who aren't all that concerned about policy knowledge, or even specifics. But he's got to extend his support from 30% of Republicans to 50% of the general population. He's not going to be able to do that strictly using these tactics, he's going to have to resemble something approximating a conventional Presidential candidate.

Benghazi is pretty much a known quantity by now. It's pretty much a straight partisan issue, Republicans are frothing about it and Democrats don't care. I don't think beating the drum for another year is going to get any more mileage out of that. It's unlikely to be enough of a thing to drive turnout against Hillary, and very few Democrats are going to stay home because of it. Ditto the Iraq war vote. It's not a strong point for her, but once she's out of the primary, no Democrat is going to cross over and vote Trump. I mean, Trump is talking about seizing oil fields in Iraq and Syria. He's hardly the candidate for the doves.
post #983 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

Seth Rogen got cucked by his wife on twitter a few weeks ago. He seems to have completely lost his mind.

That Cuckold started a charity to raise money for Alzheimer’s, because he wanted to help his wife's mother who has Alzheimer. What a simp.
post #984 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

This is also during the primaries, the dynamics are quite a bit different. Even the debates are going to be a lot different. Trump can survive his utter ignorance in 15 seconds blips when the other candidates are terrified of attacking him, but how is he going to look in a two hour one-on-one debate focused on foreign policy? It cannot look good. It's a very obvious weakness for Trump. Maybe he could survive it, but it's crazy to spin it as a strength.

Trump's supporters right now are pretty obviously people who aren't all that concerned about policy knowledge, or even specifics. But he's got to extend his support from 30% of Republicans to 50% of the general population. He's not going to be able to do that strictly using these tactics, he's going to have to resemble something approximating a conventional Presidential candidate.

Benghazi is pretty much a known quantity by now. It's pretty much a straight partisan issue, Republicans are frothing about it and Democrats don't care. I don't think beating the drum for another year is going to get any more mileage out of that. It's unlikely to be enough of a thing to drive turnout against Hillary, and very few Democrats are going to stay home because of it. Ditto the Iraq war vote. It's not a strong point for her, but once she's out of the primary, no Democrat is going to cross over and vote Trump. I mean, Trump is talking about seizing oil fields in Iraq and Syria. He's hardly the candidate for the doves.

Who said anything about dems or republicans crossing over? Those votes are already called for. It's the independents that matter. These issues will matter greatly when it comes to debating a republican, especially one who publicly denounced going into Iraq.

This is all guesswork by both of us, it will be a very exciting debate.
post #985 of 8748
Just to stay on track with this thread

http://www.wmur.com/blob/view/-/35467724/data/1/-/gncwtrz/-/Republican-GSP-Sept--2015-pdf.pdf

post #986 of 8748
Trump isn't just doing the debates, though. He's going out on a daily basis and taking questions from anybody who will give him air time. When was the last time Hillary did an interview with a hostile journalist?

It's not just Benghazi, it's Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Syria-- not to mention Russia. I think there's enough material for even someone as dumb as Trump to stay on the offensive for an hour. This president's foreign policy has been a disaster and you wonder whether his secretary of state can continue to avoid any responsibility for her role in it forever.
post #987 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Trump isn't just doing the debates, though. He's going out on a daily basis and taking questions from anybody who will give him air time. When was the last time Hillary did an interview with a hostile journalist?

It's not just Benghazi, it's Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Syria-- not to mention Russia. I think there's enough material for even someone as dumb as Trump to stay on the offensive for an hour. This president's foreign policy has been a disaster and you wonder whether his secretary of state can continue to avoid any responsibility for her role in it forever.

The original prompt for this discussion was suited saying that Trump had the biggest advantage of all the Republicans in a debate against Hillary. I'm not saying that Hillary doesn't have weaknesses, just that Trump of all people isn't the most apt to press her on them in a debate format. Trump may well have other unique advantages, but he's not some kind of debate wizard, even in the kindergartner's debate format the Republicans have been running so far.
post #988 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

The original prompt for this discussion was suited saying that Trump had the biggest advantage of all the Republicans in a debate against Hillary. I'm not saying that Hillary doesn't have weaknesses, just that Trump of all people isn't the most apt to press her on them in a debate format. Trump may well have other unique advantages, but he's not some kind of debate wizard, even in the kindergartner's debate format the Republicans have been running so far.

Kindergarten debate? You mean like the three candidate debate where they argued about who had the lowest NRA rating?
post #989 of 8748
what is the big deal with benghazi ? it seems like an unhealthy obsession by a contingent within the R camp. And what is all the criticism re: foreign policy about, i mean has anyone suggested any viable alternative to what obama has done ? he would be opposed in any decision, no matter what it was. even if it was flawed, there were ideas behind the enacted policies. it's really hard to imagine trump having any realistic ideas beyond building a giant wall to keep out the gremlins. he's suggested bombing the hell out of isis which is, for all intents and purposes, the only thing the us has done so far along with other allies ...
post #990 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post

what is the big deal with benghazi ? it seems like an unhealthy obsession by a contingent within the R camp. And what is all the criticism re: foreign policy about, i mean has anyone suggested any viable alternative to what obama has done ? he would be opposed in any decision, no matter what it was. even if it was flawed, there were ideas behind the enacted policies. it's really hard to imagine trump having any realistic ideas beyond building a giant wall to keep out the gremlins. he's suggested bombing the hell out of isis which is, for all intents and purposes, the only thing the us has done so far along with other allies ...

You want to know what the real issue is as a right leaning libertarian? Absolutely nothing except partisan bullshit. It's on a similar level as WMDs in Iraq. It's a great political event to show how incompetent the other side is without having to offer a sound realtime solution that wouldn't have ended in casualties. The only real weird point was when the administration tried to blame a YouTube video that hadn't even gone viral on the attacks. Other than that the whole thing is purely politics and blame game bullshit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Trump is #2 in GOP Field