or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Trump is #2 in GOP Field
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trump is #2 in GOP Field - Page 229

post #3421 of 8748
Random observation on Twitter. Trump supporters feel organic and many are funny as hell. Hill's all seem like paid shills, or else are just total snoozes.
post #3422 of 8748
I think growing up with multiplayer games made me immune to getting my feelings hurt over the internet. I started debating if the wall was racist on Facebook and the Hill/Bernie supports got emotional fast. All of them very upset by the racist wall. I wasn't even trolling either but it ended with one of them posting "Hey, go fuck yourself gringo, my entire family came here illegaly and all they did was improve the gene pool. You wouldn't last two seconds doing the manual labor that undocumented immigrants do to keep southern california running"

So emotional!
post #3423 of 8748
^I am still working through an attempt to explain how a mainstream 1990s Democratic position became the height of racism a quarter-generation later.

It has to be some kind of purity spiral. The Left has accumulated culture war victories at such a rate that they need to mainstream ever more radical ideas to differentiate themselves. The progressive movement doesnt stand still, by definition. See also, tranny bathrooms.

What were seeing with the Trump phenomenon is that maybe progs got out a little bit ahead of themselves. Utterly unhinged college protests, open talk of replacing the country's dominant racial group, etc. That pendulum can come crashing back in a hurry when you miss-time the zeitgeist so badly.

If you start slapping the racist label on people over trivialities, they may decide that they might as well own it.

You've created a monster called the alt-right. I don't know how big they actually are, but it's a little frightening that it's the most energized ideological movement in the US currently.
post #3424 of 8748
/\ Interesting thought /\
post #3425 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post

^I am still working through an attempt to explain how a mainstream 1990s Democratic position became the height of racism a quarter-generation later.

It has to be some kind of purity spiral. The Left has accumulated culture war victories at such a rate that they need to mainstream ever more radical ideas to differentiate themselves. The progressive movement doesnt stand still, by definition. See also, tranny bathrooms.

What were seeing with the Trump phenomenon is that maybe progs got out a little bit ahead of themselves. Utterly unhinged college protests, open talk of replacing the country's dominant racial group, etc. That pendulum can come crashing back in a hurry when you miss-time the zeitgeist so badly.

If you start slapping the racist label on people over trivialities, they may decide that they might as well own it.

You've created a monster called the alt-right. I don't know how big they actually are, but it's a little frightening that it's the most energized ideological movement in the US currently.
And you're a member. So cute.
post #3426 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

One person's "Loot a private citizen's bank account" is another's "Enforce a judicial ruling for illegal discrimination." I don't see it as "vengeful," I see it as using the powers granted the government to enforce laws designed to protect people from discrimination.

Is someone measurably hurt by "having" to sell cakes to anyone who requests one? What's the downside here?

The Civil Rights Act allows for the government to enforce penalties for discrimination. We've run that experiment for 50 odd years now. Is society better off now? That's obviously a matter of opinion, but I rather suspect you're not going to get a lot of traction in popular elections for a platform of legalizing bigotry.

That's because the government will inevitably inject its own agenda into "fairness." Considering that one has little recourse against the government, it makes sense to limit their power to prevent this very thing from happening.

I could argue that stealing money from someone is nearly universally accepted as being inherently wrong. You'd have a much harder time arguing that a private citizen is inherently wrong because they choose not to do business with someone who violates his/her belief system.

The argument coming from your side assumes things happen in a vacuum. A government that can steal money from a person because a lesbian couple had their feelings hurt is almost certainly abusing its power in every other arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

That's the Oregon State government.  Isn't the right in favor of the States having the power to legislate these things for themselves without Federal intervention?  I'm not just being cute.  It seems like it's ok when the State electrocutes somebody who is mentally ill or passes a law that makes it illegal for its own municipal governments to pass laws banning certain types of discrimination but then these kinds of laws are oppressive. 

There are many bigger injustices in day-to-day life than these bakers in Oregon getting sued over a cake.  Which, yes, I think is a silly result.  But I don't cry a river for them either.

See above. Just because a state has exercised a decision independent of the feds doesn't mean that government overreach isn't happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

I will vote third-party.  Easy as that.  I want the Republican party (and Democratic party) to take on a more libertarian bent.  The best way I see is to try to help the Libertarians to get to at least 5%, but realistically would love to see at least 15% polls to get Johnson on the debate stage.  If this was 2012, I would rather he didn't make the debates because Obama would trounce him.  Hillary and Trump are awful debaters though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarraway View Post

You may want to check your ballot, as you are wrong.

We don't have a unlimited number of elections to experiment with this. One party will flood the country with enough people to form a permanent democratic majority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

Well it appears that you you are neither a seer but it nor a student of American history.   We've all seen the consequences of allowing private businesses to discriminate.  These practices tended trickle UP into local, state and finally federal the federal government.  


Land of the free and home of the bigots has a nice ring to it

History would show that all-powerful, oppressive governments are far more dangerous than private businesses being able to enter into transactions with people of their choosing.
post #3427 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post

^I am still working through an attempt to explain how a mainstream 1990s Democratic position became the height of racism a quarter-generation later.

Wait. Wut?
post #3428 of 8748

Johnson is up to 12% today.  At the current rate, he'll be at like 30% by election day.

post #3429 of 8748

Just as long as they aren't bernie voters. The hipsters show up online and in polls, but when they realise they have to actually show up and vote.... 

post #3430 of 8748

Here is a Washington Post article from a gay, Hispanic Republican who is supporting Donald Trump. He describes getting beaten up by protestors at the Trump rally in San Jose.

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/06/10/im-voting-for-donald-trump-so-i-went-to-see-him-speak-protesters-broke-my-nose/

post #3431 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalb916 View Post
 

Here is a Washington Post article from a gay, Hispanic Republican who is supporting Donald Trump. He describes getting beaten up by protestors at the Trump rally in San Jose.

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/06/10/im-voting-for-donald-trump-so-i-went-to-see-him-speak-protesters-broke-my-nose/


Oh my goodness, this changes everything.  An anecdote like this is clearly an indictment of everything the left stands for.  I am shocked by the hypocrisy and will be voting for Trump in November because only he and his supporters understand all that is right, good, and peace-loving in America.

post #3432 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post

^I am still working through an attempt to explain how a mainstream 1990s Democratic position became the height of racism a quarter-generation later.

It has to be some kind of purity spiral. The Left has accumulated culture war victories at such a rate that they need to mainstream ever more radical ideas to differentiate themselves. The progressive movement doesnt stand still, by definition. See also, tranny bathrooms.

What were seeing with the Trump phenomenon is that maybe progs got out a little bit ahead of themselves. Utterly unhinged college protests, open talk of replacing the country's dominant racial group, etc. That pendulum can come crashing back in a hurry when you miss-time the zeitgeist so badly.

If you start slapping the racist label on people over trivialities, they may decide that they might as well own it.

You've created a monster called the alt-right. I don't know how big they actually are, but it's a little frightening that it's the most energized ideological movement in the US currently.

I have a slightly different take on it. I think progressives felt like they had this power with keeping people in line by calling people racist of sexist as a way to attack someone's character, yet they have moved the goalposts so much as far as what "racist" or "sexist" mean and it's simply stopped being as effective as it once was, and the goalposts have moved to such a degree with all these statements in the news, the BLM movements, 3rd wave feminism, and these ridiculous college protests that people are changing their view over what intolerance is. I think the people progressives are calling racist and sexist aren't owning, they just no longer feel like being labeled that by others is something to fear. It's not going to have any social repercussions for them. It's simply stopped being as effective at shutting people up as it once was.

Then they see Trump on TV calling an obviously white woman who was hired in part for labeling herself as native pocahontas, saying Mexico is not sending their best over, women will earn the same amount of money for the same amount of work, we need a wall, and he suffers no repercussions for any of it(as far as the polls go).
post #3433 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post
 


Oh my goodness, this changes everything.  An anecdote like this is clearly an indictment of everything the left stands for.  I am shocked by the hypocrisy and will be voting for Trump in November because only he and his supporters understand all that is right, good, and peace-loving in America.

 

Yes, because the left is immune from using anecdotes to impugn the positions of the right.

post #3434 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalb916 View Post

Here is a Washington Post article from a gay, Hispanic Republican who is supporting Donald Trump. He describes getting beaten up by protestors at the Trump rally in San Jose.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/06/10/im-voting-for-donald-trump-so-i-went-to-see-him-speak-protesters-broke-my-nose/

Thanks for posting this.
post #3435 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post

Trump on TV calling an obviously white woman who was hired in part for labeling herself as native pocahontas

Did he? The way I read it sounded like he thought she attended harvard/was accepted because of her heritage (she didn't go to harvard, just taught there)

 

His quote "she got into Harvard and all that because she said she was a minority"

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Trump is #2 in GOP Field