or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Trump is #2 in GOP Field
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trump is #2 in GOP Field - Page 182

post #2716 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarraway View Post
 
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post



As to the antisemitism in US universities...if you don't believe it exists I can't help you. I have been following a Jewish friend of mine, she's a Ph.D. professor in anthropology, and their association (American Anthropology Association) is in the middle of voting whether to boycott Israeli higher education or not.
 

 

Boycotting a country because of the country's policies != hatred of a religion.

 

Israel cannot pretend to be an inclusive modern (at least somewhat secular) democracy with equal rights for all and then clothe itself in the armor of "anti-semitism" every time someone holds it accountable for its actions.


This has confounded me for years. Is Israel a democratic nation state or is it the representative of Judaism on earth?

post #2717 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheobscure View Post

1) As others have rightly pointed out, criticism (even harsh criticism) of Israel's policies is not tantamount to anti-semitism.

I have already said as much. Straw man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheobscure View Post

4) When it comes to academia and anti-semitism, you can cut through so much bullshit just by asking a straightforward question: how often are Jewish professors hired in competitive hiring situations and how often are they promoted to prestigious positions?

So I guess there's no racism against blacks because Obama? Hurr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarraway View Post

Boycotting a country because of the country's policies != hatred of a religion.

Israel cannot pretend to be an inclusive modern (at least somewhat secular) democracy with equal rights for all and then clothe itself in the armor of "anti-semitism" every time someone holds it accountable for its actions.

Mischaracterization. Holding Israel to a different, higher standard is indicative, and that's clearly the case as the former president of Harvard has been pointing out for over a decade.
post #2718 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

So I guess there's no racism against blacks because Obama? Hurr.

Hurr is right--this is the idiotic knee-jerk riposte.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
There has been exactly one black POTUS; Obama is, to this point, a very important exception. Here's a list of all the black senators in U.S. history, with only three currently serving: http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/history/h_multi_sections_and_teasers/Photo_Exhibit_African_American_Senators.htm

Jewish Americans are very well represented in academia. The most prominent Shakespeare scholar in America (perhaps the most prominent humanities scholar in America) is Jewish. There are innumerable Jewish deans and provosts across America. The last two presidents of Yale have been Jewish.

Obviously, you know how stupid this response is but you'll offer it anyways.
post #2719 of 8748
I could have extended my list but it really only needed the one example, often used by the right wing dunderheads, to demonstrate your argument was exactly the same formulation as theirs. Merely because members of a certain group reach high levels does not mean prejudiced against said group does not exist. Women now equal or exceed men in the number of people admitted to medical and law schools. Are you going to say this is proof women now have it made?

I've merely put forth my opinion, one that does not reflect well on your world, and you've taken exception with it. It's human nature so I get that.

Additionally, as Teger has described one can be of Jewish ethnicity and survive, even thrive, in the academy as long as the correct views are espoused.

Let's face it, the left has always been ambivalent about Jewishness. Not Jews, these days anyway, but Jewishness.
post #2720 of 8748

The left

post #2721 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbernine View Post

The left

And yet you never flinch at terms like "right wing" or "the right." It's just like the folks wanting Harvard to divest from Israel.
post #2722 of 8748
Irvine Jewish woman
post #2723 of 8748
post #2724 of 8748


That's awful but American Jews will still vote for Jew-hating Marxists and bloodthirsty anti-Semites.

Right side of history.
post #2725 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I could have extended my list but it really only needed the one example, often used by the right wing dunderheads, to demonstrate your argument was exactly the same formulation as theirs. Merely because members of a certain group reach high levels does not mean prejudiced against said group does not exist. Women now equal or exceed men in the number of people admitted to medical and law schools. Are you going to say this is proof women now have it made?

1) The black racism / Obama example is a false equivalence because it's the case of taking an exceptional success and pretending that it's reflective of the whole. I.e., the shit that the mouth-breathing segment of the Right loves to trot out disingenuously. 2) The example of women in med schools and law schools is stupid because admitted graduate students are not in a position of power or prestige. They are low on the totem pole. Come back to me when there are near equal numbers of female faculty and high-level administrators at law schools & med schools (as well as partners at law firms and doctors in supervisory roles at hospitals). When that happens, then yes, I'll believe that the problem of sexism has largely--not completely, of course--been eradicated in those particular fields. 1 + 2) That's why I went out of my way to point out that Jewish academics are well represented in faculty positions across the board as well as prestigious roles. Of course, you still have to go to your bullshit mode of fake cleverness.
Quote:
I've merely put forth my opinion, one that does not reflect well on your world, and you've taken exception with it. It's human nature so I get that.

Spare me the wise man bullshit. I'm not knee-jerk defending my own profession. There are lots and lots of valid critiques of academia and I happen to enjoy them. I don't enjoy sweeping, uninformed generalizations about my profession. Especially when they're based on a false premise (critical of Israel = anti-semitic) that's explicitly disavowed but still at the center of the whole position.
Quote:
Additionally, as Teger has described one can be of Jewish ethnicity and survive, even thrive, in the academy as long as the correct views are espoused.

Oh yes, back to Teger. One of your two primary sources of evidence.
Quote:
Let's face it, the left has always been ambivalent about Jewishness. Not Jews, these days anyway, but Jewishness.

Let's face it, you're uninformed. If you actually wanted to learn, I could show you a wealth of scholarship on Jewishness--and not just Jewishness in and of itself but Jewishness as it relates to and informs seemingly goyish topics like my own field of study--and how such scholarship and the scholars who carry it out are valued in the profession, win prizes, get funded through a wide range of sources. . Shockingly enough, I myself dabble in writing and publishing about such topics. But none of this matters to you since all you want to do is spout off.

Yes, there are lots of important and interesting discussion to be had about the complex, even vexed role of Jewishness within version of Leftist thinking--a role that's partly bequeathed from what Jewishness represents to Christianity (i.e., the kernel of particularity that helps to energize a certain mode of universalism even while resisting it). But you don't want to have this kind of meaningful conversation, and at any rate, this is a fucking Donald Trump thread.
post #2726 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheobscure View Post


Let's face it, you're uninformed.

Why do you insist on stating the obvious? confused.gif
post #2727 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post

That's awful but American Jews will still vote for Jew-hating Marxists and bloodthirsty anti-Semites.

Right side of history.

I'm glad you've moved on from telling black people how they should be thinking, behaving, and voting to teaching Jews the right path to Jewishness.
post #2728 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbernine View Post

The left

And yet you never flinch at terms like "right wing" or "the right." It's just like the folks wanting Harvard to divest from Israel.


Well this is simply  false, however, I will in the future try to be more balanced in my displays of disdain for your blanket characterizations of entire populations of the political spectrum 

post #2729 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Not everyone that takes exception is antisemitic, obviously. However, differential treatment does give less than an objective cast to actions. For instance, while Harvard is being pressured to divest any investment it's multi-billion endowment might have in Israel that same treatment is not being applied for pressure to divest from other countries doing similar or worse things than Israel to the Palestines. If Harvard was being pressured to divest from all countries for the same/similar criteria all would be good but this is far from the case. Harvard is just an example as there are others.

Academics (in the humanities and ss-lol) tend to be less rabidly pro-Israel than US general pop and especially the US government, ok. Moving from this to "the leftist academic elites are blatantly anti-Semitic" is bullshit. Your impossible to follow standards of an even mobilization for every cause according to purely analytical objective criteria has thankfully not be followed when it was time to act in South Africa, yes it would be nice if more people were mobilized to pressure the Democratic Republic of Congo and the asshole western companies operating there with impunity but it doesn’t stop the Israeli/Palestinian cause from being important, it just means more should be done for other causes. Now if you want to know why "the leftist academia" by and large doesn't hierarchize causes anymore, read Foucault, it is all there.
post #2730 of 8748
Im sure the palestinians would rather have a few teachers hate them as long as they get billions of yearly american aid, unlimited military support, vetoes in the united nations against anything that hurts them, free reign to occupy territories, be an obligatory ritual for any presidential candidate to kiss their ass, have the media protect them 24/7....

So much antisemitism
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Trump is #2 in GOP Field