or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Trump is #2 in GOP Field
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trump is #2 in GOP Field - Page 109

post #1621 of 8748
Trump may or may not be as "good" as Romney, but as he pointed out repeatedly, he's worth a lot more.
post #1622 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwed View Post


Is it because they like what GOP has accomplished in the last 30 years?


 

What have they accomplished besides getting us run out of of  Beruit with our tail between our legs (oops - that was 33 years ago), arming and funding the mujahadeen, propping up Saddam Hussein, smacking down Saddam Hussein, invading the oh so dangerous Panama, getting the shit kicked out of us in NYC , invading Afghanistan and fighting the mujahadeen//Taliban, taking out Saddam Hussein and occupying Iraq whilst simultaneously causing a gas prices to explode and creating DHS.  oh yeah and passing No Child Left Behind

post #1623 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Trump may or may not be as "good" as Romney, but as he pointed out repeatedly, he's worth a lot more.


Is he?  I mean, there are some reports that suggest his net worth is only in the low hundreds of millions.  Trump tried suing that reporter over such claims, but it was dismissed.

post #1624 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwed View Post


Is it because they like what GOP has accomplished in the last 30 years?


 

What have they accomplished besides getting us run out of of  Beruit with our tail between our legs (oops - that was 33 years ago), arming and funding the mujahadeen, propping up Saddam Hussein, smacking down Saddam Hussein, invading the oh so dangerous Panama, getting the shit kicked out of us in NYC , invading Afghanistan and fighting the mujahadeen//Taliban, taking out Saddam Hussein and occupying Iraq whilst simultaneously causing a gas prices to explode and creating DHS.  oh yeah and passing No Child Left Behind


The invasion of Grenada? The establishment of the Pinochet government?

post #1625 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post


Except many of those similarities are things conservatives like, e.g., defense spending, drone strikes, etc. I'm talking about something entirely different.

 

The point is that both (R) partisan sycophant apologists and (D) partisan sycophant apologists bitch and moan about the other party's transgressions, but shut their yaps when it's their guy doing the exact same thing.

post #1626 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post


The Bernie people are channeling a lot of the same mentality as Ron Paul fanatics.

 

Ron Paul Was Right (1983-2008)

 

post #1627 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post


Is he?  I mean, there are some reports that suggest his net worth is only in the low hundreds of millions.  Trump tried suing that reporter over such claims, but it was dismissed.


It takes a special kind of asshole to sue a reporter for publishing a story that you are worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
post #1628 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post


Is he?  I mean, there are some reports that suggest his net worth is only in the low hundreds of millions.  Trump tried suing that reporter over such claims, but it was dismissed.

That was at least ten years ago. Trump has made various disclosures since he started his campaign that should have been scrutinized if his claims are false.

Of course it's impossible to say exactly what he's worth because many of his assets are property that's more or less unique and not subject to reliable appraisal. I do recall seeing one story checking on his claim that he owns a single store that's worth more than Romney -- and agreeing that it was probably worth 2-3x as much as Romney, at least.
post #1629 of 8748
I think something is brewing behind the scenes if Mitt comes out with his uncharacteristically nasty speech about Trump, and Trump is talking about how he's growing the GOP and if he doesn't run as a Republican he's taking his supporters with him, all within a few days of each other.
post #1630 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post


That was at least ten years ago. Trump has made various disclosures since he started his campaign that should have been scrutinized if his claims are false.

Of course it's impossible to say exactly what he's worth because many of his assets are property that's more or less unique and not subject to reliable appraisal. I do recall seeing one story checking on his claim that he owns a single store that's worth more than Romney -- and agreeing that it was probably worth 2-3x as much as Romney, at least.



The whole thing is irrelevant though.  First both inherited large sums of money, one spent a lot of time in the non-profit and government world, etc etc.  It is apples and oranges.

Secondly, it is irrelevant because it has nothing to do with government.  Do you really think that Trump's form of business acumen will translate in any way to good government?  He can't exactly start a TV show "Superpower apprentice" where multiple countries compete on reality TV.

post #1631 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarraway View Post

The point is that both (R) partisan sycophant apologists and (D) partisan sycophant apologists bitch and moan about the other party's transgressions, but shut their yaps when it's their guy doing the exact same thing.

I agree, but Trump has covered new ground here, especially with people who self identify as far right. It's not the usual hypocrisy of spending. Large swaths of supposedly very conservative people are giving Trump a pass, during the primary, on things that no candidate has ever gotten away with in a republican primary. Spend the better part of a decade on a gun forum and you know where those people stand on issues, specific posters, not just in general. In supporting Trump over someone like Cruz, they are doing something they've never done during any republican primary. Everyone talks about Trump changing the political landscape. This is an example.
post #1632 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post


I agree, but Trump has covered new ground here, especially with people who self identify as far right. It's not the usual hypocrisy of spending. Large swaths of supposedly very conservative people are giving Trump a pass, during the primary, on things that no candidate has ever gotten away with in a republican primary. Spend the better part of a decade on a gun forum and you know where those people stand on issues, specific posters, not just in general. In supporting Trump over someone like Cruz, they are doing something they've never done during any republican primary. Everyone talks about Trump changing the political landscape. This is an example.

 

I agree.  The best I can come up with on why is his "Make America Great Again" slogan is the right's version of "Change we can believe in."  Personally speaking, I know several Trump supporters, and if you asked them why they support him, it is just vague platitudes.  They can't name a single policy position except the wall. 

 

Why do upper-middle class white guys in the upper Midwest care about a wall in the Southwest?  They're afraid immigrants are shifting the political landscape to the left and are going to lead to a permanent Democratic majority.  Except the Republicans haven't had such a dominance in the various states in at least 20-30 years.

 

Why do people who hate Obamacare, gun control, and landgrabs by government supporting a guy who has been pro single-payer, pro-gun control, and pro Kelo?  It just makes no sense.  These are also the same people who supported NAFTA and now want to start a trade war with China.  Why is trade with China scary but trade with Mexico not?

post #1633 of 8748
http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/03/donald-trump-mitt-romney-response-220192
Quote:
"I backed Mitt Romney. He was begging for my endorsement," Trump said at a rally in Portland, Maine Thursday. "I could have said 'Mitt, drop to your knees.' He would have dropped to his knees."
post #1634 of 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

I agree.  The best I can come up with on why is his "Make America Great Again" slogan is the right's version of "Change we can believe in."  Personally speaking, I know several Trump supporters, and if you asked them why they support him, it is just vague platitudes.  They can't name a single policy position except the wall. 

Why do upper-middle class white guys in the upper Midwest care about a wall in the Southwest?  They're afraid immigrants are shifting the political landscape to the left and are going to lead to a permanent Democratic majority.  Except the Republicans haven't had such a dominance in the various states in at least 20-30 years.

Why do people who hate Obamacare, gun control, and landgrabs by government supporting a guy who has been pro single-payer, pro-gun control, and pro Kelo?  It just makes no sense.  These are also the same people who supported NAFTA and now want to start a trade war with China.  Why is trade with China scary but trade with Mexico not?

Trump is the ultimate extrapolation of the political wisdom that people don't really care about policies, they care about feelings and narrative. Each side of the political spectrum had created certain litmus test "issues" that candidates had to espouse support for, but your average low information voter didn't really care about the details.

Trump is basically a personality cult. People like Trump, not anything in particular that he's offering. His supporters are responding to that so strongly that they've willing to bypass the usual theater.
post #1635 of 8748
^ that's true of politics anywhere, the more you get into details the more people are going to disagree with you.
Trump is smart to talk in generalities and even to contradict himself at times to rally more and more people to his cause.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Trump is #2 in GOP Field