• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tank top or fitted t-shirt under dress shirt?

NotchLapel

Reaction score
I had a dress shirt made for me a few days ago. Because the shirt is made of broad cloth, my hairy nipples
laugh.gif
were see through. Should I wear a tank top under the shirt or should I wear a fitted Hanes t-shirt?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i wear a heather grey v neck tee under all of mine.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
i wear a heather grey v neck tee under all of mine.

+ 1, I also wear grey v neck tees except when shirt is white.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
+ 1, I also wear grey v neck tees except when shirt is white.

why? they look better than white v neck under white...

NotchLapel

Reaction score
Wouldn't the grey show under the white? Broadcloth is a thin fabric.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NEVER a tank top

Always a white v necl

Flartchy

Reaction score
Yup, I bought a very nice white Boss shirt a few years ago.. perfect for me.. french cuffs, somewhat spread collar, 100% cotton, etc., then realized I could see my nipples and hairy chest through it. Had to get some white undershirts, which was too bad because I'm in SoCal and wearing an undershirt, dress shirt, and jacket can get VERY hot sometimes.

malat

Reaction score
Most days under my dress shirts, I wear a Uniqlo cotton white (or gray) v-neck t-shirt that looks like this. They are quite soft, and fit close to the body, which is great for wear under my dress shirts and sweaters etc. During my last trip to Japan, I bought nearly all I could find.

http://store.uniqlo.com/jp/store/fea...er_m/silkydry/

Kslim

Reaction score
I don't like to wear anything under my dress shirts.

Flartchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kslim
I don't like to wear anything under my dress shirts.

Nor does anybody who lives in a warmer clime.. but the question is: can people see your nipples through the shirt? If so, you MUST wear an undershirt. Nobody wants to see man-nipples.

PCyclone

Reaction score
Gray under all dress shirts, including white. White t-shirts reflect light and therefore show through, whereas gray ones are closer to skin tone (Caucasian, at least), doesn't reflect light differently than skin, and therefore don't show through.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a fairly cheap (not poor quality), easily available, source of grey v-neck undershirts?

Flartchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PCyclone
Gray under all dress shirts, including white. White t-shirts reflect light and therefore show through, whereas gray ones are closer to skin tone (Caucasian, at least), doesn't reflect light differently than skin, and therefore don't show through.
awesome, never knew this, will have to pick up some grey (I assume light-grey) undershirts. I have always been bothered by the fact that white does seem to show through the shirt, especially where it stops on the upper arms. Great! Love this forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics