• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overcoming being let go from last job

SenorMatador

Reaction score
I thought I'd open up to the collective SF knowledge base.

Got let go from my previous job (it was a revolving door, there were 3 people in the span of a year in my position before me), but I'm trying to get back into the business. Unfortunately, being let go raises all sorts of red flags.

On the good side I have plenty of good references that will back me up from my old workplace and vouch for me.

Current situation: I am on the cusp of a pretty awesome opportunity back in the field I want to work in. I have interviewed separately with at least 6 different people from this place, they have all vocally said they think I have the most potential of the interviewees for growing the position. One of them told my on the sly that the only reason the manager hasn't hired me is because being let go from my last workplace is a black mark on my record. Mind you, the last place I was at is notorious for high turnover.

I have rockstarred the interviews, my references have spoken for me, but the only thing left is the hemming and hawing of the hiring manager over being let go. They also recently re-posted the job on a hiring website, but at the same time they continue to interview me.

What else can I do? Am I on the losing end of a long battle?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you can, your best bet is to get an audience with the hiring manager and explain the situation honestly and plainly. If you felt you weren't given a chance there, say so, and explain specifics of the situation - though be careful not to throw anyone under the bus or just sound like you're griping. You have to do it tactfully and carefully. Nobody likes a whiner.

You might also suggest that you're willing to do a 30-day temp-to-hire or something similar that lets them retain a bit of flexibility - that is, if you want the job that badly.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are using it as a reference? How long where you there, anyway? Pretend it never happened...
lol8[1].gif

Sounds like it wasn't even your fault. 4 people in a span of a year? Place seems disorganized and with no strong leadership.

SenorMatador

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
If you can, your best bet is to get an audience with the hiring manager and explain the situation honestly and plainly. If you felt you weren't given a chance there, say so, and explain specifics of the situation - though be careful not to throw anyone under the bus or just sound like you're griping. You have to do it tactfully and carefully. Nobody likes a whiner.

Exactly what I have been refraining from. The last thing I want to do is ***** and moan, definitely a team player and I can carry my weight. (in a matter of discretion, the last place I was at was really that bad, like bosses always screaming at everyone bad) Thus, I don't go on at length about it, I address it and move on.

SenorMatador

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Why are using it as a reference? How long where you there, anyway? Pretend it never happened...
lol8[1].gif

Sounds like it wasn't even your fault. 4 people in a span of a year? Place seems disorganized and with no strong leadership.

3 people before me lasted on average 4 months.

I was there 6 months, the fact it lasted that long I wear as a badge of honor.

Only problem is that was my first gig out of college, and I need to show I have real-world experience in this industry and for the position they want me for.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SenorMatador

Only problem is that was my first gig out of college, and I need to show I have real-world experience in this industry and for the position they want me for.

I see. Yeah, don't cry about it being managements fault. Just tell them it was your first job, and you made some mistakes, but you learned so much from your first job. And use all the references you can get from that place.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Tough position to be in but as a hiring manager I'd have a hard time considering six months, fresh out of college, as any "real world experience." Consider just leaving it off.

Here's a question: how do you refer to your separation? That you were "fired" or "terminated" or some other label that would indicate a reason other than your performance was not up to the employer's standard? I mean, anyone will believe that you were part of a RIF (reduction in force) these days. Or you could spin the revolving door aspect and say you only took the job as you had just finished college and knew the risk of a short tenure going in.

SenorMatador

Reaction score
Any experience you can get in this business is a huge plus. This place I'm interviewing at is glad that I have some, on top of all my internships.

I just refer to it as me and my workplace parting ways because ultimately we weren't the right fit for each other, and yes I also bring up the revolving door statistic. But any hiring manager can read the writing on the wall that I was let go.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any experience you can get in this business is a huge plus. This place I'm interviewing at is glad that I have some, on top of all my internships.

I just refer to it as me and my workplace parting ways because ultimately we weren't the right fit for each other, and yes I also bring up the revolving door statistic. But any hiring manager can read the writing on the wall that I was let go.

How do you bring that up? Seems like something you have to be delicate with.

SenorMatador

Reaction score
I just quickly go over being let go, and then I say that in my position I was the 4th person brought in after 3 people in the span of a year. Simple, gets the point across.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm... kind of sounds like your throwing management under the bus. I wouldn't want to hear that as an excuse. Good luck, anyways.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So nothing you've read here has convinced you to change your plan of action over this?

SenorMatador

Reaction score
Oh I've definitely decided I needed a new route. I'm not parrying the advice given at all. You guys have helped me out with that.

I'll check back in with you guys with what happens, they're supposed to make a decision shortly.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads