Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Rick Owens Boots + Leather, Number (N)ine Jeans and Hoodie, Doir 21cm Jeans Last post on 5/13/11 at 1:42am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks Last post on 11/29/15 at 2:54pm in Classic Menswear
- Fashon in Ashton Kutcher's movie "Spread" Last post on 12/12/15 at 2:26pm in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Dress shoes with jeans. Last post on 10/28/14 at 3:14am in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- A Passion for Denim: The Story of Rivet & HideLast edited: 12/7/15
- Fok's Picks: The Five Best Denim Stores (That You Can Also...Last edited: 12/9/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
*** The official and awesome DIY thread *** - Page 65
Styleforum Top Pickspost #962 of 13089/28/13 at 8:21pmpost #963 of 13089/29/13 at 6:28pmQuote:
AFL tried doing it before. You can try messaging him. I also remember someone posting an image of a knit pattern but can't remember if it was by AFL or someone else.Quote:Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
^^ Unless you learn to knit and find that you really enjoy it I wouldn't recommend it. Enough (nice) materials to make a sweater can be anywhere from $40-200+, and then you have to factor in the time it'll take to complete. A hat can be done in a weekend, if you're fast. Socks in maybe a week. A sweater would be quite a bit longer, as you might imagine. It's hard, for me at least, to find a pattern that's both interesting and within my skills. Can't make it boring if you're going to be with a project for a long time.post #964 of 13089/30/13 at 12:56ampost #965 of 130810/2/13 at 3:55pmAnybody here have experience dyeing linen?
If so, what kind of difficulties would I have to expect if I wanted to dye a 100% white linen jacket black or dark grey? The jacket in question has a white cotton lining also. Ideally I'd like to dye it in such a way that the whole thing comes out very dark grey/black. It seems like hot dyeing would be best for this, but I'm afraid the jacket might shrink too much. Is there a way to dye it that would have a good chance of success? I don't own it yet, but its available for a very very cheap price (more than 60% less than I've ever seen a jacket of this brand go for). The black versions are always more sought after and expensive. Just wondering if anyone's tried this and can offer advice (or dissuade me )post #966 of 130810/2/13 at 4:05pmLining shouldn't be a problem as both are natural fibers. I've dyed cotton black with a great outcome. Use more than indicated and its better to go for all black as gray would probably be blotched.
I've used Dylon but I've heard this was one of the best fiber reactive dyes.
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/dyes/post #967 of 130810/2/13 at 9:21pmpost #968 of 130810/2/13 at 11:45pmpost #969 of 130810/3/13 at 9:08ampost #970 of 130810/3/13 at 9:16amOnly concern would be the thread. The amount of visible thread depends on the type of jacket (a tailored jacket is going to have about every seam hidden inside...a M-65 type jacket will have a lot of visible stitching), but it is probably polyester thread since cotton thread is not very good...
Polyester thread really won't take the color...so if you have a lot of exposed white stitching and dye it dark, you will have contrast stitching. Maybe dylon is better, but RIT won't touch poly.
The dye works ok on plastic buttons though. I dyed a white jacket orange and the buttons took on a nice orange hue to better match.post #971 of 130810/3/13 at 10:07ampost #972 of 130810/3/13 at 11:59ampost #973 of 130810/16/13 at 5:55pmpost #974 of 130810/16/13 at 8:03pm
- *** The official and awesome DIY thread ***
Styleforum Top Picks
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?
Currently, there are 1156 Active Users (202 Members and 954 Guests)
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 2 minutes ago
- › Jack Erwin Shoes 5 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 8 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 9 minutes ago
- › Church's Appreciation Thread 11 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's... 13 minutes ago
- › Bernie Sanders, trad icon? 13 minutes ago
- › Need Help with Balmain Biker Jeans 13 minutes ago
- › Yanko - Made In Spain Shoes 14 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...