So I am going through with the painting tux with gesso idea, we'll see what happens.
Given that it is my first time working with the stuff (I'm no artist), I figured I'd experiment on a pair of shitty but clean supra's that were given to me by an ex and have been relegated to the dusty netherrealms of my closet ever since.
Considering how absolutely shitastic they looked beforehand, its a great improvement in my opinion. I just wish I had gone lighter with the paint initially so it looks like I'll have to do some sanding.
Think I've got the bug, now all I see are things I want to slather in paint (because Margiela).