Thread is almost always going to be poly since cotton thread kind of sucks....
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Rick Owens Boots + Leather, Number (N)ine Jeans and Hoodie, Doir 21cm Jeans Last post on 5/13/11 at 1:42am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks Last post on 11/29/15 at 2:54pm in Classic Menswear
- Fashon in Ashton Kutcher's movie "Spread" Last post on 12/12/15 at 2:26pm in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Dress shoes with jeans. Last post on 10/28/14 at 3:14am in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- A Passion for Denim: The Story of Rivet & HideLast edited: 12/7/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
*** The official and awesome DIY thread *** - Page 49
Styleforum Top Pickspost #722 of 130811/27/12 at 6:42ampost #723 of 130811/29/12 at 6:03pmpost #724 of 130811/29/12 at 6:16pmpost #725 of 130811/29/12 at 6:20pmpost #726 of 13081/2/13 at 1:46pmpost #727 of 13081/2/13 at 2:17pmpost #728 of 13081/3/13 at 8:19ampost #729 of 13081/3/13 at 8:59amdid some further crotch repairs on my RRLs while I was visiting my parents for the holidays.
I've upped my drive to find a sewing machine so I don't have to wait until I can borrow my mom's any time I need one. I want a vintage all-metal one (no plastic gears...outside parts and knobs can be plastic I guess)...been looking at a few singers and have an ebay offer in on a Necchi.
I need straight stitch, zig zag, and reverse...and some way to drop or cover the feed dogs. If I were to find a great local deal on a singer 15-91 or 201-2, I could deal with being straight-stitch only for now, but zig zag is important (any other decorative stitches beyond that...not so much). The one thing that I can't find on many vintage models but I would really prefer is a free arm. Since I am mostly doing repairs and modifications, it is helpful to be able to fit into tight spaces. On my mom's Bernina Nova 900, you can slide off a plate to switch between a big platform and a small free arm...and I almost always use it with just the free arm.
Unfortunately it looks like this was not common a long time ago. The Pfaff 360 looks good, but I hear that replacement timing belts are almost impossible to find...and there is a Necchi supernova model with a free arm but they seem quite rare.
Anybody have other suggestions on things I should look at? As I look at newer machines, there are lots more free arms, but the quality really falls down (and I am not willing to pay the premium for a bernina nova even though it seems like exactly the machine I need...I'm looking for a $100 machine, not a $350 machine).post #730 of 13081/22/13 at 3:49ampost #731 of 13081/29/13 at 6:58ampost #732 of 13081/29/13 at 6:59ampost #733 of 13081/29/13 at 7:22ampost #734 of 13081/29/13 at 8:08am
- *** The official and awesome DIY thread ***
Styleforum Top Picks
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Currently, there are 1641 Active Users (390 Members and 1251 Guests)
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 24 seconds ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 54 seconds ago
- › Vicuna Topcoat? 1 minute ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 5 minutes ago
- › Help for a gift! 5 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 5 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?