Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Rick Owens Boots + Leather, Number (N)ine Jeans and Hoodie, Doir 21cm Jeans Last post on 5/13/11 at 1:42am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks Last post on 7/27/16 at 6:50pm in Classic Menswear
- Fashon in Ashton Kutcher's movie "Spread" Last post on 12/12/15 at 2:26pm in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Dress shoes with jeans. Last post on 10/28/14 at 3:14am in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash themLast edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
*** The official and awesome DIY thread *** - Page 44post #646 of 13499/17/12 at 5:57pmpost #647 of 13499/17/12 at 9:14pmpost #648 of 13499/25/12 at 11:24ampost #649 of 13499/25/12 at 11:49pmpost #650 of 13499/26/12 at 8:29amJust saw this page last night. Definitely subscribed.
Here are a pair of thrift store Clarks Wallabees made in Ireland (very old, dried out rubber) that I cut off the soles, and had a cobbler put on a Vibram Christy sole a few years ago.
I had never seen this color of Wallabee before this one, and now Clarks makes tons of colors...post #651 of 13499/28/12 at 8:29am
tapering a pair of sweatpants is simple enough right?
pin them, turn inside out and go at it with the sewing machine, and then just cut of the fabric that will then be needless?
know that if you try and taper a tee the machine can rip the fabric apart, but the fabric sweatpants are made of should be substantial enough to not rip apart?post #652 of 13499/28/12 at 11:16amQuote:
Yeah, I usually go this way: 1) turn inside out; 2) draw seam, pin, try on (not turned inside out!) until you like how they fit; 3) turn inside out, sew; 4) either cut off the excess fabric and do something to avoid the frayed edge, or just leave it there.Quote:know that if you try and taper a tee the machine can rip the fabric apart, but the fabric sweatpants are made of should be substantial enough to not rip apart?
Never heard of this. Since I rarely find cheap stuff that fits me, I started buying $4 (disposable) tees and fix the boxy cut so I'm kind of used to it. We're talking about cotton here, hemp as well -- silk is toatally different and you need a different sewing machine.
Also, pay attention to filmier stuff: perhaps in this case the machine may start to act weirdly and rip things up?post #653 of 13499/28/12 at 11:44ampost #654 of 13499/28/12 at 12:52pm
There are a million seam finishes, an easy one for knits fabrics would be a french seam which means the first seam you would sew wrong sides together then flip inside out sew then press. If you have access to a serger do that.
Also since sweatpants are knits you want to stretch the fabric out as you sew it, otherwise you will rip the seam while wearing it.post #655 of 13499/28/12 at 4:50pmlike smash said the key to painting without the cloth stiffening up would be using light layers. the only problem is you'll get a smoother brush stroke which may be unwanted. an even better idea to try out is using a dye as paint with a brush; i haven't tried it myself but it might be something to look into.post #656 of 134910/2/12 at 1:26pmCut a sweater into a scarf, used 100% of the sweater by cutting it like a screw (swirl?) (for lack of a better word). It's about 10ft x 8"
Made a lamp by drilling a hole through a block of wood and coating it in polyester. I stole the fram for the shade from a different lamp, and the material on the shade is just scotch tapepost #657 of 134910/2/12 at 2:30pmQuote:
Once you have sewn where you needed to sew, just sew a few stitches (either zig-zag or even straight ones work) form top to bottom so that the frayed edge doesn't go past them and doesn't fuck up your stitching. I usually do this way.
Or, more professional: turn the frayed edge over itself twice and sew it. The end result is sharper and obviously better looking. Very similar to the bottom of shirts as a concept.
Make sure you don't cut off too much fabric and you have ENOUGH fabric for the 2nd methodpost #658 of 134910/2/12 at 2:43pmpost #659 of 134910/3/12 at 8:49ampost #660 of 134910/3/12 at 9:28am
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 1 minute ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Bresciani socks - size M - L - XL - short + over the calf 3 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 4 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 4 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › The Current Popular Menswear Pieces
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway