or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › *** The official and awesome DIY thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*** The official and awesome DIY thread *** - Page 73

post #1081 of 1129
+ 1 .., the final product is impressive
Edited by Kwaker - 7/31/14 at 6:59am
post #1082 of 1129
................................
Edited by canstyleace - 8/13/14 at 12:07pm
post #1083 of 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan7 View Post

So I got a vintage miltary jacket with the intention of overdyeing it.  Basically I've been wanting a visvim kilgore / wtaps jungle jacket / post overalls bdu jacket and thought it might be a fun, cheap experiment to play around with an original first.  It is a 3rd pattern jungle jacket in ERDL camo. The tag with DSA number fell off so I don't know precisely what year it is.  Robert Duvall's Napalm sniffing Lt. Colonel Kilgore (for whom the Visvim version is named) wears the regular olive drab version in Apocalypse Now.

It was supposed to come out a deep blueish-black with the camo still just visible.   However this was my first time experimenting with cold water fiber reactive dye and I ran out of salt (which works as the fixative) and so I lost most of the colour when I rinsed it afterwards.  I blame the non-metric measures all the dyeing recipes seemed to use - I don't know how much a US 'cup' is, particularly if I go to a store and buy something by weight. Ughhh

I might have another go at some point, after having bulk bought salt.  Or with some good old fashioned ritdye. (I didn't use ritdye first time round as its supposed to be quite harsh on cotton fabric and this thing has been well loved / has some holes.  That and the cold water dyes are supposed to give good colour).

before:



after:



so not a huge difference, but it is darker and has a bluish tinge. 
The other problem is I now really want a fashunz version ie. Visivim shog%5B1%5D.gif

Fit, after:



Nice work! Where did you buy the jacket?
post #1084 of 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post


Nice work! Where did you buy the jacket?

 

Thanks! Got it on Ebay.  There are loads of them on there, just search like "vietnam jungle jacket" or something.  I sized down one as they fit big like a lot of old military stuff.

post #1085 of 1129
Mix shirt (micro-check & red chambray)
jgqqfk.jpg

70s "everything but the kitchen sink" shirt
33fdbpy.jpg

a little 70s Cheap Trick musical inspiration icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
http://youtu.be/BJs_L7yq5qE
Edited by colabear - 8/5/14 at 1:07pm
post #1086 of 1129
y'know, I don't hate them... huh, not bad really!
post #1087 of 1129
I've got a question for anybody who's handy with a sewing machine: what is this stitch that is going around the thumbhole of these gloves to reinforce it, and how do you do it?



Many thanks biggrin.gif

edit: Another question. I need a cheap weekender in a neutral color and this one from everlane looks good to me. However I want dye the brown leather handles and zipper details black. Would just stripping the color and rubbing black dye on work?


Edited by fireflygrave - 8/31/14 at 10:39pm
post #1088 of 1129

I've had this camel/beige jacket from ZARA for some years as my 'beater' jacket...

I was looking for something on a shelf in my bedroom when l accidently dropped my GF nail polished on the floor, and it splattered on a few things around, including that jacket...

l decided to give it a new life by masking the polish splatters with some acrylic paint.

the colours and patterns look randomly applied but l put them mostly on the polish stains...

The result is a little WTFish (and somewhat clownish), but l personnally love it l've enjoyed this jacket ever since, it's been my favourite summer jacket and good conversation starter, some compliments and weird looks too..

Now back to the WAYWT for an outfit with my "paintball jacket" as call it lol

 

 

details (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

post #1089 of 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchild View Post

I've had this camel/beige jacket from ZARA for some years as my 'beater' jacket...
I was looking for something on a shelf in my bedroom when l accidently dropped my GF nail polished on the floor, and it splattered on a few things around, including that jacket...
l decided to give it a new life by masking the polish splatters with some acrylic paint.
the colours and patterns look randomly applied but l put them mostly on the polish stains...
The result is a little WTFish (and somewhat clownish), but l personnally love it l've enjoyed this jacket ever since, it's been my favourite summer jacket and good conversation starter, some compliments and weird looks too..
Now back to the WAYWT for an outfit with my "paintball jacket" as call it lol



details (Click to show)












great job icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Now you can sell this for $28K
http://www.matchesfashion.com/product/217739
post #1090 of 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchild View Post

I've had this camel/beige jacket from ZARA for some years as my 'beater' jacket...
I was looking for something on a shelf in my bedroom when l accidently dropped my GF nail polished on the floor, and it splattered on a few things around, including that jacket...
l decided to give it a new life by masking the polish splatters with some acrylic paint.
the colours and patterns look randomly applied but l put them mostly on the polish stains...
The result is a little WTFish (and somewhat clownish), but l personnally love it l've enjoyed this jacket ever since, it's been my favourite summer jacket and good conversation starter, some compliments and weird looks too..
Now back to the WAYWT for an outfit with my "paintball jacket" as call it lol



details (Click to show)












Quote:
Originally Posted by colabear View Post

great job icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Now you can sell this for $28K
http://www.matchesfashion.com/product/217739
Whaaat? What justifies that price? Lol fashion, fashion...
post #1091 of 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchild View Post



Whaaat? What justifies that price? Lol fashion, fashion...

Sterling Ruby justifies that price but honestly I couldn't really imagine an art collector buying that.
post #1092 of 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflygrave View Post

I've got a question for anybody who's handy with a sewing machine: what is this stitch that is going around the thumbhole of these gloves to reinforce it, and how do you do it?



Many thanks biggrin.gif

edit: Another question. I need a cheap weekender in a neutral color and this one from everlane looks good to me. However I want dye the brown leather handles and zipper details black. Would just stripping the color and rubbing black dye on work?


hi Firefly

That stitch is done by a sewing machine called a serger. Its not a reinforcing stitch.
Its purpose is to keep the cut edges of cloth from fraying.
post #1093 of 1129
I ran out of room so I made a rack out of pipes, just got the idea from googling diy clothing rack. Worked pretty well!



post #1094 of 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post

I ran out of room so I made a rack out of pipes, just got the idea from googling diy clothing rack. Worked pretty well!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



Looks cool ... what was the cost of materials?
post #1095 of 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaker View Post

Looks cool ... what was the cost of materials?

Thanks, it was about $70 all up. I think you could find cheaper steel, the only kind they had at the store I went to was galvanized steel
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › *** The official and awesome DIY thread ***