Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Rick Owens Boots + Leather, Number (N)ine Jeans and Hoodie, Doir 21cm Jeans Last post on 5/13/11 at 1:42am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks Last post on 7/27/16 at 6:50pm in Classic Menswear
- Fashon in Ashton Kutcher's movie "Spread" Last post on 12/12/15 at 2:26pm in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Dress shoes with jeans. Last post on 10/28/14 at 3:14am in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash themLast edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
*** The official and awesome DIY thread *** - Page 69post #1022 of 13484/28/14 at 8:45amQuote:Originally Posted by ghdvfddzgzdzg
was bored w/ my converse and i never liked the lines of color on 'em; did a quick coat of white acrylic paint.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)sorry about the dirty laces
That looks great. I got some jack purcells a while back and don't like them at all to be honest. Will give this a go.
I take it you didn't paint the laces?
edit; nm, can see you didn't. I don't think that would end well.post #1023 of 13484/28/14 at 9:47ampost #1024 of 13485/2/14 at 1:43pmpost #1025 of 13485/2/14 at 3:18pmpost #1026 of 13485/4/14 at 1:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by RXS09
I recently dyed a pair of my Margiela side zips from Grey to Black. This is a bit of a how to, in case anyone is interested in doing the same.
Cost of boots aside, it's a fairly cheap process but it takes time and patience. I used Fiebing's Leather Dye which I bought from Ebay. I bought the 4oz bottle, which was more than enough. The bottle comes with an applicator, which seemed to work just fine. If anyone needs a link, feel free to send me a PM.
I started by wiping down the entire boot with warm water, ensuring that it was completely ridden of any dirt, excess polish, etc. I laid down a decent amount of paper towels as well, in the case that some spilled.
First coat: If anyone decides to do this, be sure that you lightly dip the applicator in the bottle, and apply it in a circular motion. This helps guarantee an even distribution.
Second coat: Not much of a noticeable difference in pictures...
After the second coat, I used a rough rag to wipe off excess dye. (The brand name of the rag escapes me, but they're the same ones I use to work on my bike. The kind of rag that everyone has at least one of laying around in their garage.)
The reason why I opted for a rough rag is that it helps to reduce the shine, as I wanted the boots to have a matte finish. The rougher surface also helps remove excess dye more efficiently than something smoother.
Dried & wiped down:
After they dryed, I also steamed them. I had never done this before, but apparently steaming them was supposed to help remove any remaining gloss. It worked excellently, to my surprise.
Since I did this, they've been worn several times. I'm content with the result, and now I have this overwhelming desire to alter more of my stuff.
What I forgot to mention is that when I did this, I wanted to keep at least one thing from the original boot. I decided to keep the small tab on the back grey.
If anyone has any questions what so ever, feel free to shoot me a PM!
If anyone has any questions what so ever, feel free to shoot me a PM!
couple of months later
Fading to a dark grey where the leather creases. Looks fantastic.
Edited by RXS09 - 5/4/14 at 3:03pmpost #1027 of 13485/18/14 at 7:12amHey all! I didn't even know this thread exisited until I was told by member @silverwarebandit that I should post this here.
For my pattern making class, we had to come up with a garment that we wanted to create from scratch. Meaning we had to draft the pattern ourselves, then sew up a preliminary piece out of muslin, fit it to a model and make corrections to the pattern based on how the first draft fit, so I decided to make a kimono. I cut, pressed and hand sewed the bias tape, which took forever. There were only two criteria for the project, it had to have a collar and it had to have sleeves. I'll actually probably end up removing the lapel because I feel that it looks a lot cleaner without it.
Final fitting on the model.
Great thread by the way!post #1028 of 13485/18/14 at 6:41pmpost #1029 of 13485/19/14 at 6:42amQuote:
Admittedly, I never even researched what a authentic kimono looks like until I just read your post. When we were assigned the project, kimono was the first thing that popped into my mind and this is what I drew for my inspiration board. I guess it's what I thought a kimono to look like, mixed with a little Raiden form Mortal Kombat.
Sorry for the side ways pic.post #1030 of 13485/19/14 at 7:10ampost #1031 of 13485/22/14 at 12:45pmpost #1032 of 13485/26/14 at 11:34pmpost #1033 of 13485/27/14 at 12:37ampost #1034 of 13485/27/14 at 1:51ampost #1035 of 13485/27/14 at 3:07am
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 27 seconds ago
- › The Look goes on... 4 minutes ago
- › ethan's Musing on the Near East 6 minutes ago
- › British shaving brush makers 9 minutes ago
- › Creepy Sartorial Images 16 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 21 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 21 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 28 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 45 minutes ago
- › who is this model please ? 46 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...