• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EG advise against Topy rubber soles

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a leaflet in y shoe box that specifically warned against the use of Topy rubber soles because they prevent moisture from escaping thus causing damage to the soles. FYI.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course, EG would have nothing to gain by issuing that warning.
patch[1].gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FACT ..I do like ,as always, to receive different opinions before taking a decision on the matter and every source(from Berluti ,John Lobb to informed professionals) was reaching the same conclusion:The rubber sole being hermetic does not allow the leather sole to breathe.....
But they all agree that no choice is without consequences...
Even if It is true that they all have a certain commercial interest based on the constant need to partially replace the leather sole they have pointed out the fact that we have to choose between two evils...
Paying the price for walking on leather or potentially damaging the sole...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's three evils!!!!!!!!!!

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just get them resoled with rubber soles and avoid all of this to begin with?

Tibo

Reaction score
May I defend the opposite view ? IMHO, rubber soles are bad for the overall aesthetical balance of the shoe, they make it look heavier and bulkier (specially for shoes with a thin sole such as EG - it's part of what makes them beautiful and unique).

Moreover, I would tend to believe the explanation about leather soles having to breathe. But I recognize that's more of a debating point.

Finally, when buying a pair of EGs I see it more like an investment. Would you buy an expensive car and not service it accordingly ? I wouldn't. Similarly, I know I'm wearing pricy shoes and the 'service' of those shoes is going to be pricy as well. In other words, I don't have problems with the idea of sending them back to EG (even if it's expensive) to be resoled, provided I receive impeccable service and as-good-as-new shoes in return.

Finally, I'm living in a city and mostly walking along streets in a rainy climate, but I don't find leather soles to be so dangerous to walk with (that is, once they are a bit worn, because walking with new leather soles can indeed be tricky -but that's a 3-days problem).

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, Topy helps with grip. It also virtually eliminates the need to have the leather soles replaced, but that also means the uppers will never get the chance to be reshaped on the last it was created in to have creases smoothed out. I think that resoling on the original last is a good thing, provided one does not have to do so too often. Great excuse to have more shoes to rotate
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif
I lean on using the original leather soles.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibo
May I defend the opposite view ? IMHO, rubber soles are bad for the overall aesthetical balance of the shoe, they make it look heavier and bulkier (specially for shoes with a thin sole such as EG - it's part of what makes them beautiful and unique).

Moreover, I would tend to believe the explanation about leather soles having to breathe. But I recognize that's more of a debating point.

Finally, when buying a pair of EGs I see it more like an investment. Would you buy an expensive car and not service it accordingly ? I wouldn't. Similarly, I know I'm wearing pricy shoes and the 'service' of those shoes is going to be pricy as well. In other words, I don't have problems with the idea of sending them back to EG (even if it's expensive) to be resoled, provided I receive impeccable service and as-good-as-new shoes in return.

Finally, I'm living in a city and mostly walking along streets in a rainy climate, but I don't find leather soles to be so dangerous to walk with (that is, once they are a bit worn, because walking with new leather soles can indeed be tricky -but that's a 3-days problem).

I tend to agree.

I have had the Toppy sole added to a couple of shoes, and they just aren't the same. They're a hybrid between leather (dress) and rubber (sports) shoes. The rubber adds somewhat to the thickness of the sole.

However, the rubber makes the shoes pretty "slip-proof". But, I have found that worn brass nails in the heel make the heel very slippery. When the brass nails become worn and flattened I replace the hell with rubber.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I must say that, when I was selling shoes, I saw a LOT of old, Topyd (is that a word?) shoes...lots of old people where I live, and we get lots of snow and ice. I don't recall a single one whose soles had rotted from the breathing issue.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Funny, Tony G. recommends a thin rubber covering over part of a leather sole, even on bespoke shoes, and does not believe it causes any problems. If done right, you can't tell there is any rubber there at all unless you turn the shoe over.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...or slipping over and landing on the seat of the pants of your bespoke suit.
If you wish to best preserve the breathability of sole leather, simply use the rubber to recover the seat of your pants.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had many, many shoes Topy'd over the years, although none of my best-quality dress shoes. I don't bother with Topys on my EGs or Lobbs because I wear them relatively infrequently and am not worried about wear (although I am somewhat worried about slipping and falling on my keester). Pretty well all my Allen-Edmonds, Ferragamos, Ballys, and a few C&Js have had Topy rubber sole covers. This goes back more than 25 years and has involved perhaps 25 pairs of shoes. Not ever has any sole damage occurred because of a lack of breathability; it's just a non-issue, and, in my opinion, is based more on (incorrect) theory than on any empirical evidence--at least if my own "experiment" (experience) is generalizable, as I believe it is.

I've found that the Topy addition does next to nothing to degrade the appearance of the shoes, being as thin as it is, and, in fact, is all but invisible except, perhaps, when one raises his shoes to cross his legs or something like that. Further, the Topy does seem to render the sole virtually indestructible, and makes the shoe stable and safe underfoot.

Interestingly, this issue about the detrimental effects of covering a leather sole with a rubber overlay comes up about every 6 months or so on the forums. Every time, someone points out the (in my opinion flawed) theoretical argument against this practice (a lack of breathability leading to damage to the leather sole), but, if I remember correctly, no one has actually witnessed any sole damage resulting from it.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads