or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Going to Peter Lee this Tuesday for Summer Suit, Pointers?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Going to Peter Lee this Tuesday for Summer Suit, Pointers?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Gentlemen, So I'm going to Peter Lee for the first time to make a summer suit (along with a shirt or two), what sort of things do I have to keep in mind? I just did a search and realise that a fully canvassed suit will cost be around 5500 HKD (starting). Other than that, what should I keep in mind? Some facts about me: I just recently made a suit elsewhere in HK, the shoulder is the biggest issue and I am somewhat bulky up top (for local HKer standards), so too much padding is always an issue, I realise I need to ask for a natural shoulder. To cuff or not to cuff? I am leaning towards cuffing my pants. Shirt: Want to make a nicer quality one. As an aside, I went to Ascot Chang over the weekend (even set up appointment online), but they gave me no attention at all as I looked like a kid (I was in tee + shorts and I look young), dude just sat there and said nothing as I sifted through the fabrics, so I rather just make shirts at PL instead. What I'd like: rounded french cuffs, and extreme cutaway collar is what I'm looking for, other than that, do I have to remind him of things like stitching/unfused collars? Anything I'm missing? Bottom line: Love for all you gurus here to help me out the best you can, that way I can compile a list of the things I need to ask for. I want to get the most out of my suit! Cheers, E
post #2 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongtouski View Post
Gentlemen,

So I'm going to Peter Lee for the first time to make a summer suit (along with a shirt or two), what sort of things do I have to keep in mind? I just did a search and realise that a fully canvassed suit will cost be around 5500 USD (starting). Other than that, what should I keep in mind?

HKD mate!
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongtouski View Post
Gentlemen,

So I'm going to Peter Lee for the first time to make a summer suit (along with a shirt or two), what sort of things do I have to keep in mind? I just did a search and realise that a fully canvassed suit will cost be around 5500 HKD (starting). Other than that, what should I keep in mind?

Some facts about me:
I just recently made a suit elsewhere in HK, the shoulder is the biggest issue and I am somewhat bulky up top (for local HKer standards), so too much padding is always an issue, I realise I need to ask for a natural shoulder.

To cuff or not to cuff? I am leaning towards cuffing my pants.

Shirt:

Want to make a nicer quality one. As an aside, I went to Ascot Chang over the weekend (even set up appointment online), but they gave me no attention at all as I looked like a kid (I was in tee + shorts and I look young), dude just sat there and said nothing as I sifted through the fabrics, so I rather just make shirts at PL instead.

What I'd like: rounded french cuffs, and extreme cutaway collar is what I'm looking for, other than that, do I have to remind him of things like stitching/unfused collars? Anything I'm missing?

Bottom line: Love for all you gurus here to help me out the best you can, that way I can compile a list of the things I need to ask for. I want to get the most out of my suit!

Cheers,

E

Which branch - I wear shorts and tee shirts at the Peninsular Hotel branch without problem of this type, somewhat odd I feel. However don't expect to be able to get a coffee at the Peninsular so dressed!
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post
Which branch - I wear shorts and tee shirts at the Peninsular Hotel branch without problem of this type, somewhat odd I feel. However don't expect to be able to get a coffee at the Peninsular so dressed!

The IFC one, I come in, say Hi, and they just look bewildered. I told them I'd made an appointment and they told me to sit down. Turns out they thought it was someone else of the same name. But nevertheless guy just pulls out Thomas Mason fabrics and I started looking, while he sat there silent.

I asked earlier via e-mail if extreme cutaway before I got there, and I asked again, even showing multiple pictures of the collar to the guy, he says it won't be available unless I bring in a sample. After I left I get a reply back from AC's e-mail, it says "Extreme cutaway collars do not require an extra charge". Go figure.
post #5 of 22
Have fun at Peter's! I'd just recommend talking over all the options of how to make up the suit and shirts with things like full or half canvassed, fused collars etc. Prices will vary depending on the specifics you give him and fabric you use. He can certainly do a natural shoulder with minimal padding, but you just have to ask for it. As long as there's an open dialogue and good communication between you two I'm sure things will come out great.
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongtouski View Post
The IFC one, I come in, say Hi, and they just look bewildered. I told them I'd made an appointment and they told me to sit down. Turns out they thought it was someone else of the same name. But nevertheless guy just pulls out Thomas Mason fabrics and I started looking, while he sat there silent.

I asked earlier via e-mail if extreme cutaway before I got there, and I asked again, even showing multiple pictures of the collar to the guy, he says it won't be available unless I bring in a sample. After I left I get a reply back from AC's e-mail, it says "Extreme cutaway collars do not require an extra charge". Go figure.

Go to AC atthe Peninsula hotel and ask for Nelson. Super nice guy and the rest of them are just as friendly.
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongtouski View Post
The IFC one, I come in, say Hi, and they just look bewildered. I told them I'd made an appointment and they told me to sit down. Turns out they thought it was someone else of the same name. But nevertheless guy just pulls out Thomas Mason fabrics and I started looking, while he sat there silent.

I asked earlier via e-mail if extreme cutaway before I got there, and I asked again, even showing multiple pictures of the collar to the guy, he says it won't be available unless I bring in a sample. After I left I get a reply back from AC's e-mail, it says "Extreme cutaway collars do not require an extra charge". Go figure.

That's too bad. The lady that works there is accommodating and very nice. I was 22 when I got my MTM AC shirts (was a special, I don't think they offer it now) in Sogo. They closed the Sogo operation but I've seen her in IFC with the 2 older fellows.

My shirts didn't hold up (collars lasted 2 years) so I won't go back but the lady was very nice. The repair cost on the collars is 60% of my shirt costs
post #8 of 22
I would make sure to ask for strong, tight stitching on the shirt button holes. My first shirt with from PL was that way but the next order wasn't.
post #9 of 22
Based on limited experience with PL, two shirt orders, you need to be very specific about what you want. Things I take for granted like removable collar stays and gauntlet buttons were not standard.
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongtouski View Post
The IFC one, I come in, say Hi, and they just look bewildered. I told them I'd made an appointment and they told me to sit down. Turns out they thought it was someone else of the same name. But nevertheless guy just pulls out Thomas Mason fabrics and I started looking, while he sat there silent.

I asked earlier via e-mail if extreme cutaway before I got there, and I asked again, even showing multiple pictures of the collar to the guy, he says it won't be available unless I bring in a sample. After I left I get a reply back from AC's e-mail, it says "Extreme cutaway collars do not require an extra charge". Go figure.

I had the same experience once. It was pretty awkward -- the product was fairly good though, and the service was better the next time I went.
post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Based on limited experience with PL, two shirt orders, you need to be very specific about what you want. Things I take for granted like removable collar stays and gauntlet buttons were not standard.
Ok that's good to know, I also agree with what emptym said before about the stitching. My dad was helping me iron them the other day and he said the thread was "shrinking" making it incredibly hard to iron. I guess, the best is to just bring him a shirt I own and show him basically.
post #12 of 22
I had a Minnis flannel suit made by Peter with very minimal padding, and I'm extremely happy with it (will post pictures later). Indeed, go over every single detail that you can imagine. I'll also specify removable collar stays for my next PL shirts. But I do believe that PL is very good value for money, certainly the best I've found so far. As a practice round, you could go to one of the various shirt building websites there are these days and look at the various possibilities. I also sometimes use asuitthatfits' suit builder to try out combinations of options.
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongtouski View Post
Ok that's good to know, I also agree with what emptym said before about the stitching. My dad was helping me iron them the other day and he said the thread was "shrinking" making it incredibly hard to iron.

I guess, the best is to just bring him a shirt I own and show him basically.

My PL shirts iron up pretty easily, bearing in mind the quality of the fabric. It's a shame that PL doesn't have better fabric options. The stitching isn't as fine as some other shirts but it holds up well.
post #14 of 22
But he does CMT shirts, so if you find some good fabrics...
post #15 of 22
Does anyone know if Peter Lee carries Donegal tweed? I'm after a three piece, Chan will be conservatively 15,000 HKD, and naturally I would prefer a lesser spend if PeterLee's quality of construction is acceptable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Going to Peter Lee this Tuesday for Summer Suit, Pointers?