• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much can you alter pants before its too much?

stretch1

Reaction score
I'm a skinny, shorter guy so i generally wear a sz 30 waist, 9 inch rise and around a 7 inch leg opening for my pants. There are currently some very nice corduroy pants on ebay at a very good price in a size 30 waist, but the rise is 11 inches and the leg opening 8.5 I've gotten legs tapered before and I'm sure my tailor would have no problem adjusting the leg opening to a 7, but would he be able to adjust the rise from 11 inches to 9 inches? what would i ask him to do exactly?

thanks, learning as always

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If something is quite far from fitting, then the only logical choice is not buy it. To have a tailor simply rebuild any item of clothing is crazy - in that case you may as well get the tailor to make you pants from scratch. Anything more than tweaks - then dont buy - never ever. Ignore that eBay auction and wait for other opportune moments.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt a tailor can change the rise of trousers.

People seem to measure trousers quite differently on ebay, so who knows how that 11" rise will compare to the 9" rise you're used to...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
dude I got the same stats as you and probably 90% of my wardrobe (casual and formal) has passed through the tailor at some point so I speak from experience... there's only so much you can do with things like shirts and pants. Shirts are generally easy to taper the body and sleeves so I used to just buy it if the neck fit and I liked the fabric... generally that works out fine. As for pants, you can take in or let out the waist about 1 inch max, after that it gets messed up. As for the rise, for casual I go with 9.5 and formal 10.5, but that's just me. I've played with shortening rises and I'd say 1 inch is about the max to go otherwise the whole fit goes funky. I've taped legs down by a good 1.5 inches on the diameter so taht's no problem (I do 11 thigh, 8.5 knee, 7.5 hem for most wool and cotton dress pants and then 10.5, 8, 7 for casual like jeans or khakies). I tailor almost everything but I've learned now to stick with minor tweaks like a little slimming or tricks like moving buttons (cuffs and plackets) to get the right shape.

on the particular pants you're looking at, I say avoid for now. search and try on everything because there's stuff out tehre that fits, no doubt. Eg Uniqlo has perfect slim shirts for like $30, hell it used to cost me $25 just to tailor a shirt to make it fit.

PS - go to a tailor, ie someone who actually makes suits, not a drycleaners or some alterationists like that.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
If something is quite far from fitting, then the only logical choice is not buy it. To have a tailor simply rebuild any item of clothing is crazy - in that case you may as well get the tailor to make you pants from scratch. Anything more than tweaks - then dont buy - never ever. Ignore that eBay auction and wait for other opportune moments.

I disagree. I will never find OTR suits with a pants drop to accomodate my waist size. Okay, except for Joseph Abboud, but that's only because they're 36s jacket fits me. Anyway, the only option is to recut the pants, buy custom, suit separates, or thrift and recut the pants. I've used option #4 pretty much exclusively. I've got some really nice clothing that fits like MTM for less than $600. Granted, they have some wear, but I'm going to get at least a few years out of them. By the time I need to replace them, I should have a real job and can afford MTM.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The rise is the most difficult to adjust that much. If you reduce the rise by taking off the waistband and lowering, the pockets are too close to the waistband. If you reduce by taking in the crotch at the bottom of the seat, there is a limit to this. Trouser will be baggy. Risky purchase.

Sounds like you want tailored trousers to fit you like jeans, not recommended.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should never try to make such major alterations - the idea is to do minor tweaks not try to get them recut.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Link? I'll buy them. I prefer higher rise trousers.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
The rise is the most difficult to adjust that much. If you reduce the rise by taking off the waistband and lowering, the pockets are too close to the waistband. If you reduce by taking in the crotch at the bottom of the seat, there is a limit to this. Trouser will be baggy. Risky purchase. Sounds like you want tailored trousers to fit you like jeans, not recommended.
Noob question: Would there be any oddities resulting from reducing the waist size of suit trousers from 35 to 33? The seat might have to be taken in a fair degree as well.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem reducing the waist 2"

More than 2" the side seams come too far to the back.

Bananafish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
The rise is the most difficult to adjust that much. If you reduce the rise by taking off the waistband and lowering, the pockets are too close to the waistband. If you reduce by taking in the crotch at the bottom of the seat, there is a limit to this. Trouser will be baggy. Risky purchase.

Sounds like you want tailored trousers to fit you like jeans, not recommended.

Couldn't you just wear the pants lower on your waist and have the thighs tapered and both the crotch and seat taken in? I just bought a pair of higher waisted trousers (10.3" rise) and this is what I'm planning to do as I normally wear my trousers at 9"/23cm.

What are all of your thoughts about alterations on heavier wools and fabrics that are patterned (ie. checks, windowpanes, etc) ? I have a few pairs of expensive Italian trews that I'd like to take in as I prefer a slimmer fit than most, but don't want to risk ruining them even though I have faith in the aptitude of my tailor.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
the other issue you'll probably run into when taking in the waist by 2 inches is that the back pockets suddenly look really close together and it makes it look like you're squeezing the ol' butt cheeks together.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads