• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The SW&D Crockett and Jones Thread

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crockett and Jones, the venerable English shoe and bootmaker, has a pretty good following over at the Men's Clothing board. However, the brand seems to be expanding distribution to outlets that would be more on SW&D's radar (likely to take advantage of the big increase in interest in men's high end shoes). Like Alden, the company makes shoes and boots that can be work both in business and casual settings, with wool pants and with denim.

I've noticed C&J expanding their offerings at stores like Barneys to include more "fashion forward" items. For example, they launched this suede chukka on a red dainite sole at Barneys this year.

http://www.barneys.com/Hartland/5010...efault,pd.html

The brand has also started to distribute to J Crew. The various J Crew stores in NY have a number of models stocked, including short wingtips on dainite soles, black captoes on danite soles, regular brown captoes, etc. The fall line at J Crew seems to include wingtip boots in both pebble grain and seude as well as a chelsea boot.

I personally bought the tan pebble grain "Coniston" boot from J Crew a few months ago. Sitting on a dainite sole, the boot is great for rainy spring days. I wear these with denim and chinos. Here is a picture of mine below:

In addition, Crockett and Jones is another large manufacturer of cordovan shoes; most notably, they make Ralph Lauren's cordovan wingtips, loafers, PTBs, chukkas, etc. Most often these are marketed under the Darlton or Marlow lines.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

It's a sunny day here, so I'm going to try to get a nice outdoor photo of my Darlton cordovan tassels to post later in the day or tomorrow.

In addition to RL, I believe Crockett and Jones makes branded shoes for Paul Stuart, among others. If you guys know of any other, please post them here.

C&J shoes are well constructed and just look damn good. I know some people own these shoes on these forums; let's consolidate the info and create a good thread for visitors to learn more about them.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the Severn & Chelsea 5.
S6Dk9.jpg
rfn5I.jpg

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a pair of Chelsea 5's and a pair of split-toes whose name escapes me. I like C&J but don't quite get the degree of love it gets on MC. They're nice shoes but not dramatically better than other offerings at the same or slightly lower price point...

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
C+J as SW+D is a pretty big stretch, but ehhhhh.... I wouldn't pick a pair of Conistons over an Alden boot, but C+J is unfadeable for mid priced, sleekly lasted shoes. I've dreamed about C+J's since I saw them in the Paul Smith store in Tokyo about 10 years ago, and I finally got a pair recently, some Edgewares, 348 last. Not SW+D:
163423_961705432600_15904009_49918886_5041345_n.jpg
Want to get a couple other pairs of handgrade laceups soon.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
C+J as SW+D is a pretty big stretch, but ehhhhh....
yeah, the line can blur a little but they have a place in both sub-fora. The Coniston boot is a perfect example. I have one pair that I dress up with wool trousers and another that has a commando sole that I wear with denim. They look appropriate in either situation
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I wouldn't pick a pair of Conistons over an Alden boot
I would have seconded this notion 6 months ago but my opinions of Alden and C&J have changed. I think C&J makes as good a product as Alden, If not better. C&J's lasts are hands down better than Alden's, imo

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some Cliffords about a month ago. Have received SO many compliments on them.
Shoe_F08_splash.jpg

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
I bought some Cliffords about a month ago. Have received SO many compliments on them.
Shoe_F08_splash.jpg

nice shoe. this is were the line starts to cross. this is clearly a MC item. is this your pic btw? if so, very nice
bigstar[1].gif

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
nice shoe. this is were the line starts to cross. this is clearly a MC item. is this your pic btw? if so, very nice
bigstar[1].gif

Not mine! Haha.

Yeah, it is a little MC...but I mean anybody 21+ has to incorporate a little MC sometimes...even if you're SW&D at heart, haha.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may join this club sooner than later since Barney's carries them now. I was unsure about buying online due to sizing/last uncertainties.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As promised

Crockett and Jones for Ralph Lauren
"Darlton" Tassel Loafer in dark brown cordovan
J Crew Argyle Socks not quite otc

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like some blue suede tassel loafers.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Brown suede and green calf boots from Barney's.
cjgreen2-1.jpg

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, "Keswick" they're called.

Was gonna buy a pair on B&S but the seller flaked. they're pretty awesome.

so instead ordered some trickers with the same concept.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad peeps are on the C+J tip, nice traditionally made shoes with modern lasts, great price.

Way better then Alden IMO, I've handled and worn both extensively as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads