• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Architects on Board?

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously have been considering moving out of state and going to school for architecture, right now I've got a damn near a full ride for b-school, but it's wearing the **** out of me (the fact that it is so easy).

I'm halfway through, would it be better to just finish and go for my masters in architecture? Or just move now...

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
My sister did architecture in undergrad and grad in 4 years, she was very good and got in with some of the top firms. Ultimately, she found it was very unsatisfying in that her designs were always being "destroyed" to cut costs, or in appeasing somebody who knew nothing about design from the client side. She felt like a cog in a machine, the very opposite reason one might get into architecture. She got out of architectural design and got into sustainability advising with a LEED certification, and is now the director of operations of Brightworks in SF. Still though, she's always under pressure and it's difficult finding people who care enough about going "green" that they're willing to add a single dollar onto initial costs, despite the ROI.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

This explains your cynicism.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While not an architect myself, I worked at one of the largest architecture firms in the world for about 4 years in the late 90's. Most of the architects seemed unhappy in that every one of them wanted to be a designer but for about 95% of them, all they designed was where the urinal went in the basement men's room. On top of that, the pay sucked and the hours were terrible (lots of nights and weekends). Most of them wished they had never gotten into the field to begin with. Do not recommend without serious research beforehand.

Pinhas

Reaction score
Don’t do it!

Its one of the most un-appreciated professions out there; unless you have true passion and remarkable skill you will hate your job within the first year. Also Arch school is a true pain ********** and you will not finish it unless you have the passion and sill I already mentioned.

I spent thousands of dollars on materials, books and tools (on top of the tuition), stayed up doing overnights at least twice a week and lost touch with the world for a few years.

No one knows what architecture truly is until they go through the experience; when people hear what I do, they whistle in respect and admiration but they really have no idea. It’s a profession with a certain "aura" around it but to be truly successful and happy as an architect you MUST have your heart in it. Be ready for long hours, low pay, insane and stupid clients, contractors, vendors, interior designers and abusive bosses who will expect you to put in crazy amount of work, because if you won’t, they will find a fresh grad that has no choice but to do it.

Think long and hard before you go to Arch school!

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
One of the few professions where being the secretary may be a more desirable and better paid position.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
Seriously have been considering moving out of state and going to school for architecture, right now I've got a damn near a full ride for b-school, but it's wearing the **** out of me (the fact that it is so easy).

I'm halfway through, would it be better to just finish and go for my masters in architecture? Or just move now...

Why? What is it that draws you to architecture?
By the way, even the very best architecture schools are NOTHING like the profession and are generally poor preparation for the field; being seduced by architecture school is not a good position from which to make a decision.

In any case, finish b-school first. There is no reason to give up a degree halfway through...you can always try architecture school in a couple of years.

Originally Posted by mordecai
One of the few professions where being the secretary may be a more desirable and better paid position.

Or, as in the case of one of our locals, one interviews for the position of secretary; boss rejects candidacy but invites candidate to dinner; boss and candidate marry, become millionaires, meet US Presidents, world leaders, Hollywood stars, etc....

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A degree in both can come in useful.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nvm

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too, wanted to be an architect. I figure I'll get my architecture jollies by designing my own house in 20 odd years. (Well... the big picture ideas.... I'll get a real architect to do the important stuff)

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kungapa
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008...-architecture/

Man, I'll gladly except that stereotype. You know what is the coolest thing in the world? Looking at ancient works and ancient architecture. I'm serious, it gives me a high. If I could find a job in a museum that didn't force me to take on the debt of another 6-years of schooling, I would. Architecture is basically functional art, on a giant scale. And the older, the better. (Or at least cooler)

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
Why? What is it that draws you to architecture?
By the way, even the very best architecture schools are NOTHING like the profession and are generally poor preparation for the field; being seduced by architecture school is not a good position from which to make a decision.

In any case, finish b-school first. There is no reason to give up a degree halfway through...you can always try architecture school in a couple of years.

Lately I've just been bored with school and have subsequently stumbled back into drinking quite heavily, and I'm like what am I doing, but in the end whether I'm putting an accounting degree to work or an architecture degree to work, it is still an office job...I know this.

I just really want to go to school for it; I should put this idea to rest.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lately I've just been bored with school and have subsequently stumbled back into drinking quite heavily, and I'm like what am I doing, but in the end whether I'm putting an accounting degree to work or an architecture degree to work, it is still an office job...I know this.

I just really want to go to school for it; I should put this idea to rest.

I'm sad to read this.

No, do not put the idea to rest: amplify it, cultivate it, try to reinforce it with direct experience. But do not use it as an escape from your current reality. Rather, try to integrate it into reality. Doing so will force you to focus your thoughts on both fields and others more clearly.

Of course you know this (these are all clichès) but you need to find what you are most passionate about, and try to pursue that. All fields come with doldrums, I'm sure. The effort is to not let these doldrums then revise your original dreams and intentions. If you are truly passionate about architecture it will come, because you will naturally allow it to do so.

However, again, this is no reason to abandon your current degree path, unless you absolutely despise it and see no future at all in it. In fact, I would advise that completing your current degree might be the first step in proving to yourself that you do indeed have the discipline to pursue the (difficult and often frustrating, challenging, but also rewarding) path of architecture.

In either case, please, try to curb the drinking. That is a slow killer no matter the field.

Again, I apologize for the clichès; I hope that some of what I am trying to say comes through despite them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads