• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dying industries in America

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SFers should be happy about the last one! http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/...stries?ps=cprs
dying_enl.jpg

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
But not the fourth.
frown.gif

^why not?

If the likes of J Crew, Gap, Banana Republic...etc...etc all die off, we'd all be better off.

Everybody in bespoke clothing, tailored exactly to fit your bodily idiosyncracies

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
^why not? If the likes of J Crew, Gap, Banana Republic...etc...etc all die off, we'd all be better off. Everybody in bespoke clothing, tailored exactly to fit your bodily idiosyncracies
Apparel manufacturing, not apparel retailing. J Crew, GAP, Banana Republic--THEY ARE THE PROBLEM!!! They manufacture **** in China paying slave wages and hawk it like junk to losers in North America! I'm also for Not the 4th
frown.gif
, also not the 6th and 7th.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^What he said.

On the plus side, the forecasted declines in revenues for mills and apparel manufacturers seem to be much less dire than what they were last decade, so maybe there's hope.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Record stores? Are they even around anymore?

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think CD's coutn too... and yes there are a few still left.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I can't believe the market for trailer parks is in such decline.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nowadays, apparel manufacturing in America is not done by free Americans. Emphasize "free" and "American". Most of the workers are undocumented and you can see US made quality through shoddy stitching and uneven pattern matching. The classic example of what I'm talking about is AA (made in downtown LA), who also makes uniforms for US Army. I used to buy tons of US made outdoor equipments, from HID lights to knives and hiking bags, and I can tell you that made in USA means diddly squat these days. Then, you have prison labor, comprised of mostly immigrants and untrained natives, churning out "made in USA" denim trousers with pride and love.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I can't believe the market for trailer parks is in such decline.

It is trailer dealers, but that surprises me, as well.
I know the major player in financing mobile and manufactured home purchasers has been teetering for a couple years. I think I just read where it had been acquired and the plan is to put it back on solid financial footing, so this may be a temporary downturn.

With mortgages to purchase a stick-built house tougher to obtain, I'd be surprised if manufactured housing doesn't make a comeback.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
Nowadays, apparel manufacturing in America is not done by free Americans. Emphasize "free" and "American". Most of the workers are undocumented and you can see US made quality through shoddy stitching and uneven pattern matching. The classic example of what I'm talking about is AA (made in downtown LA), who also makes uniforms for US Army. I used to buy tons of US made outdoor equipments, from HID lights to knives and hiking bags, and I can tell you that made in USA means diddly squat these days. Then, you have prison labor, comprised of mostly immigrants and untrained natives, churning out "made in USA" denim trousers with pride and love.

You're an idiot.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I know the major player in financing mobile and manufactured home purchasers has been teetering for a couple years. I think I just read where it had been acquired and the plan is to put it back on solid financial footing, so this may be a temporary downturn.

With mortgages to purchase a stick-built house tougher to obtain, I'd be surprised if manufactured housing doesn't make a comeback.

Do you think we're going to see a return to "real" underwriting practices, like 20% down and 36/28 (I think that's the %) ratios?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Do you think we're going to see a return to "real" underwriting practices, like 20% down and 36/28 (I think that's the %) ratios?

Qualifying ratios are definitely back in vogue. I don't think they'll be precisely defined, but I don't think we'll see 50+ backend ratios like we did in the fury of ninja loans.

As to downpayment: no, not 20%, although we are seeing risk-based pricing, in rates and up-front fees depending upon downpayment. In the old days, about the only pricing difference was in the mortgage insurance rate.

I closed a deal a couple weeks ago for a "golden" buyer: they went 80-10-10 and got nicked on the 80 with a bunch of up-front fees because of the existence of the 10 second. That would never have happened three years ago: the pricing would've been the same as if they'd put down 20%.

Things are just going to be different; it isn't necessarily a bad different. I think most people in mortgage industry learned their lesson. Or they are hiding out while they figure out a way to game the system again.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Qualifying ratios are definitely back in vogue. I don't think they'll be precisely defined, but I don't think we'll see 50+ backend ratios like we did in the fury of ninja loans. As to downpayment: no, not 20%, although we are seeing risk-based pricing, in rates and up-front fees depending upon downpayment. In the old days, about the only pricing difference was in the mortgage insurance rate. I closed a deal a couple weeks ago for a "golden" buyer: they went 80-10-10 and got nicked on the 80 with a bunch of up-front fees because of the existence of the 10 second. That would never have happened three years ago: the pricing would've been the same as if they'd put down 20%. Things are just going to be different; it isn't necessarily a bad different. I think most people in mortgage industry learned their lesson. Or they are hiding out while they figure out a way to game the system again.
We looked into a really beautiful house about a month ago. When I ran the numbers I realized I'd be cutting into my safety fund too much as I figure it's going to cost me 30-50k out of pocket to unload our current house. So just to feel things out I asked the agent to see if the seller would hold a private mortgage on 10% so I wouldn't have to come up with 20% down. I had done my research and knew this owner had several homes on the market. They were willing to do it but the rates were no good and I wasn't happy with the fact he'd not come down due to holding the note. Just very interesting to see he'd be willing to buy paper to move a house. Thanks for your insight.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

With mortgages to purchase a stick-built house tougher to obtain, I'd be surprised if manufactured housing doesn't make a comeback

I know little to nothing of trailer homes.

Are most them financed by a mortgage company?

Or are they owner financed? By the seller that is?

I doubt many new mobile homes are paid all cash.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads