or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read - Page 28

post #406 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post


That's not too surprising.  Shell cordovan runs slightly larger than their calf/suede counterparts.  Shell cannot be stretched as tightly around the last as calf skin.  Hence, it fits just a bit looser.  Hopefully that is what this was.

I picked up the black calf NST derby and the chocolate suede plain toe boot which were the best options available in my size.  I had them shipped home to which actually saved me money vs. NY sales tax.  Details to follow.


I now wear shell Modified last in a half size larger than my first pair from Moulded. My shoes sizes in other brands have not changed in the same period. Go figure.
Edited by kolecho - 7/8/12 at 10:56pm
post #407 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolecho View Post


I now wear shell Modified last in a half size larger than my first pair from Moulded. My shoes sizes in other brands have not changed in the same period. Go figure.


At least you have some shell Modified  .  .  .   some of us are still waiting.  Any photos of your shell Modified?

post #408 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrmj View Post

word, I'm trying the forest last from epaulet, just put the order in.

Please give us your impressions of the forest last once the shoes arrive.
post #409 of 1025
My PCT Shell #8 in 9.5EEE are too big and almost unwearable - Wonder if I can get them re-lasted as a 9EEE... I really love the way they look but even with an additional stuffed insole and tongue pad - can't get them comfortable.

I think sizing in ML from Moulded has evolved - there is a difference in fit between the old FootBalance Duck Cotton lining and the new custom make-up fully leather lined shoes. I will only buy 9EEE going forward and will not order special make-up pairs from Alden - need to try on before pulling the trigger.
post #410 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike147 View Post

My PCT Shell #8 in 9.5EEE are too big and almost unwearable - Wonder if I can get them re-lasted as a 9EEE... I really love the way they look but even with an additional stuffed insole and tongue pad - can't get them comfortable.
I think sizing in ML from Moulded has evolved - there is a difference in fit between the old FootBalance Duck Cotton lining and the new custom make-up fully leather lined shoes. I will only buy 9EEE going forward and will not order special make-up pairs from Alden - need to try on before pulling the trigger.

 

Is 9.5EEE TTS for you?

 

Going by the posts on the Alden thread, they will not re-last the shoes.  If someone knows differently, please post.

post #411 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post


That's not too surprising.  Shell cordovan runs slightly larger than their calf/suede counterparts.  Shell cannot be stretched as tightly around the last as calf skin.  Hence, it fits just a bit looser.  Hopefully that is what this was.

I picked up the black calf NST derby and the chocolate suede plain toe boot which were the best options available in my size.  I had them shipped home to which actually saved me money vs. NY sales tax.  Details to follow.

350x263px-LL-a79bde4f_NST54007A.jpeg

350x289px-LL-332c0574_DSC04903.jpeg

Suede PTB boots look like they should be nice. Will look forward to some photos of them. Enjoy them.
post #412 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by vezatron View Post

Please give us your impressions of the forest last once the shoes arrive.

Forest last is very nice. It has what I think is an elegant high, rounded toe box. I don't think it has nearly the arch support of the ML, though. Also, it really only comes in a medium width for all practical purposes. It's is, as I understand it, one of the few Carmina lasts that's offered in wide (and possibly narrow), but that's MTO. I have a pair of 10.5UK wide boots on order for fall delivery, so we'll see what happens. Otherwise, I really need an 11UK (vs. 11D ML and 11D/10.5E Barrie) to get the necessary width. A few photos of a pair I have are here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/241469/carmina-shoe-p0rn/360#post_5344314.
post #413 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike147 View Post

My PCT Shell #8 in 9.5EEE are too big and almost unwearable - Wonder if I can get them re-lasted as a 9EEE... I really love the way they look but even with an additional stuffed insole and tongue pad - can't get them comfortable. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I think sizing in ML from Moulded has evolved - there is a difference in fit between the old FootBalance Duck Cotton lining and the new custom make-up fully leather lined shoes. I will only buy 9EEE going forward and will not order special make-up pairs from Alden - need to try on before pulling the trigger
.

tbh, what is it all about with this DIY experiments. imo, if you don't have the experience in fitting a shoe/boot see an expert and call it a day. every decent cobbler should be able to give you an evaluation on your issue. ever thought of this?
post #414 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood View Post

Forest last is very nice. It has what I think is an elegant high, rounded toe box. I don't think it has nearly the arch support of the ML, though. Also, it really only comes in a medium width for all practical purposes. It's is, as I understand it, one of the few Carmina lasts that's offered in wide (and possibly narrow), but that's MTO. I have a pair of 10.5UK wide boots on order for fall delivery, so we'll see what happens. Otherwise, I really need an 11UK (vs. 11D ML and 11D/10.5E Barrie) to get the necessary width. A few photos of a pair I have are here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/241469/carmina-shoe-p0rn/360#post_5344314.

Arch support drives my love of the modified last. Will I be disappointed in the Forest?
post #415 of 1025
I don't think there's going to be quite as much arch support. Here's a side by side photo. Carmina Forest in 10.5UK (R) and ML is 11D (L). I think a lot is going to depend on what kind of fit you get out of the Carmina size you are trying. 10.5UK is pretty snug on me, and so the arch is pretty firm. I hope it works out for you. It's a very nice shape and they make fine shoes.

408
post #416 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood View Post

I don't think there's going to be quite as much arch support. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Here's a side by side photo. Carmina Forest in 10.5UK (R) and ML is 11D (L). I think a lot is going to depend on what kind of fit you get out of the Carmina size you are trying. 10.5UK is pretty snug on me, and so the arch is pretty firm. I hope it works out for you. It's a very nice shape and they make fine shoes.
408

do you know what arch support is/means?
post #417 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by vezatron View Post

Arch support drives my love of the modified last. Will I be disappointed in the Forest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood View Post

I don't think there's going to be quite as much arch support. Here's a side by side photo. Carmina Forest in 10.5UK (R) and ML is 11D (L). I think a lot is going to depend on what kind of fit you get out of the Carmina size you are trying. 10.5UK is pretty snug on me, and so the arch is pretty firm. I hope it works out for you. It's a very nice shape and they make fine shoes.
408

Arch support on Forest last is just as good as Modified last in my experience.
post #418 of 1025

Here's something to whet your apetite

 

CAPTOERAVELLOCORDOVAN.jpg

 

Ravello captoe Modified Last for Anatomica

post #419 of 1025
Terrific, thanks for the responses. I'll pull the trigger.
post #420 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

do you know what arch support is/means?

Perhaps you'd do best to consult a local podiatrist, an expert in such matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolecho View Post

Arch support on Forest last is just as good as Modified last in my experience.

Great to hear your experience. I hope everything works out for vezatron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

Here's something to whet your apetite

350x232px-LL-8c189e78_CAPTOERAVELLOCORDOVAN.jpeg

Ravello captoe Modified Last for Anatomica

Really nice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read