Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by SYSTEM, 6/5/12
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by SYSTEM, 6/5/12
- itemAlden Indy Boot 403 Brown Chromexceltagged by SYSTEM, 6/5/12
- categoryBootstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 5:50 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Readpost #1 of 11713/31/11 at 11:01amThread StarterI love Aldens, specifically their dress boots. I have owned boots and shoes on the Barrie, Plaza, Trubalance, Hampton and Aberdeen last. I always thought they were fairly comfortable. Then I visited Moulded Shoe, LLC in NYC and tried on the Modified Last. My definition of what is comfortable has changed dramatically. The Modified Last is simply sublime in its fit - apparently I have "strange feet" and this special last fits perfectly. And it has a strangely cool look about it (some call this orthopedic, but I disagree after seeing them in person). I know I am not alone. To make a long story short, I then set out to find who sells Modified Last shoes (really, dress boots) in shell cordovan. To my chagrin, I found a terrible irony: Alden does not allow U.S. retailers to order special makeups in shell cordovan. Moulded Shoe has an awesome #8 captoe boot, but only because it was "grandfathered in" (they've been selling Aldens since the 40's). Basically, I found that only the Japanese and French market (to my knowledge from my limited research) are privy to shell cordovan Modified Last shoes. I'm writing this to see if there is interest in Shell Cordovan makeups in the Modified Last right here in the U.S., the home country of The Alden Shoe Company. I'd like to start a list below of those who would like to see Alden lift the unofficial ban on retailers to order special makeups in Shell Cordovan. If there is sufficient interest, I will be drafting a letter to Alden with an attached petition. Moulded Shoe has agreed to back us - the owners have stated they, too, are exceedingly frustrated with their inability to order special makeups in Shell. Perhaps, at very least, we can work with them to get at least one boot made. To understand what this means, in dollars, I will be purchasing a pair of shell from an awesome Alden Modified Last retailer, Anatomica. The price will be near $1200 for the pair. That means a $500 + premium (basically I'm forfeiting a pair of calf...). If you don't know what the Modified Last is, here are some pictures to whet your appetite. They are from Anatomica and Moulded Shoe. If you google search, you'll find more. But these show the possibilities.post #2 of 11713/31/11 at 11:01amThread Starter
30. Knowledge is King
31. Porcelain Monkey
54. progressive rake
Keep them coming. I will be cross-posting at Superfuture and Ask Andy. Anywhere else I should post?
Edited by Roguls - 6/2/12 at 3:54pmpost #3 of 11713/31/11 at 11:07ampost #4 of 11713/31/11 at 11:12ampost #5 of 11713/31/11 at 11:15ampost #6 of 11713/31/11 at 11:21amThread StarterQuote:Nitty Gritty sells this derby in #8:
Ah, I'll add Sweden to the list of countries other than the U.S.
Those PT boots are amazing dcg.post #7 of 11713/31/11 at 12:15pm+1 on Modified Shells Moulded Shoe 'owns' the Alden US modified market and thus, selection and pricing is very limited and pricey (minimum $450 per style). I own 5 pairs of Modified Aldens; 2 x 5921 (snuff and black suede, rubber sole), 2 x #591 (discontinued nubuck black and brown, rubber sole), and 1 x #542 (brown calf, leather sole); all in either 3E or 4E. I'm awaiting a special markup (ordered thru Moulded in December) for a chocolate suede long wing, metal eyelids, with rubber sole. The cost is ridiculous (for a suede shoe) but unfortunately, there is no other available option for purchasing this style shoe. Again, sign me up... TA Massachusetts (home of the Alden mother ship)post #8 of 11713/31/11 at 12:17pmQuote:To my chagrin, I found a terrible irony: Alden does not allow U.S. retailers to order special makeups in shell cordovan. Moulded Shoe has an awesome #8 captoe boot, but only because it was "grandfathered in" (they've been selling Aldens since the 40's).
Basically, I found that only the Japanese and French market (to my knowledge from my limited research) are privy to shell cordovan Modified Last shoes.
Does anyone know why Alden does this? What's their reasoning?post #9 of 11713/31/11 at 12:23pmpost #10 of 11713/31/11 at 12:37pmpost #11 of 11713/31/11 at 1:01pmpost #12 of 11713/31/11 at 1:24pmThread Starterpost #13 of 11713/31/11 at 1:41pmYes, yes, yes!
I understand the "ban" has a lot to do with protecting the Japan distributors.
Japan has very high import tariffs on leather shoes, something like 30%. Having specific models for Japan would effectively prevent an influx of "direct imports". In Japan, the Modified last has been the mainstream. Sometimes, you do find some Chukka boots, PTB, LW in the Barrie last. And they just introduced the 403 to the Japanese market not too long ago. So I don't subscribe to the argument that the Modified last fits the average Japanese foot better as the only reason. I think it has more to do with marketing and protection of regional sales.
Oh, I think they are starting to do the same "exclusive model" thing with Hong Kong, in the Truflare last.
BTW, in Modified last, I have 7 pairs of boots and 6 pairs of shoes from Moulded.
Another 6 pairs, all in Cordovan from Japan.post #14 of 11713/31/11 at 1:42pmpost #15 of 11713/31/11 at 2:53pm
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Canada goose Windermere parka anyone have? 10 seconds ago
- › MA-1 Jackets Thread 3 minutes ago
- › ethan's Musing on the Near East 3 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Beautiful Dsquared runway leather jacket 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Rug and Carpet Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 14 minutes ago
- › East Sicily Tailors 14 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...