• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

P.Johnson in Sydney

dingdongbell

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum. I've done some reading and I realised...there are so much I need to learn!!!

I need a new suit. I have a budget about 2k. My friend recommended P.Johnson in Sydney. I know nothing about tailor make suit. Could you guys please give me some tips? I very much appreciate your help.

Thanks!

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dingdongbell
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum. I've done some reading and I realised...there are so much I need to learn!!!

I need a new suit. I have a budget about 2k. My friend recommended P.Johnson in Sydney. I know nothing about tailor make suit. Could you guys please give me some tips? I very much appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Ask Phat Guido. You might be able to reach him better via his BROG.
mostexerent.tumblr.com

dingdongbell

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys.

I guess my question will be similar to most armature out there - Given my budget, which one would you guys recommend?

Thanks again.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best thing is to shop around. Ask questions, compare prices, see who you end up having a rapport with. And then decide from there.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say take your friend's advice. P Johnson gets a good wrap here, and they sound like they are a friendly mob. Talk to them, discuss what you like/don't like and you'll likely end up with a stylish result.

I would avoid walking into any old shop saying "I have 2k to spend on a suit" as you will get ripped off and end up with some ill-fitting OTR orphan.

As for Zink, Pernac and Bentex which have been suggested, I haven't heard much about any of them.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
I'm going to suggest an alternative route. If you're not an odd shape, OTR with alterations is probably your best bet. I would recommend Herringbone or MJ Bale in Sydney... their suits start at around the $1k mark and I believe Herringbone have a sale until April 1 so you could get something even cheaper. It's a shame Ethan isn't still around as he's very good with fitting.

The rest of the $$$ you can spend on shoes / ties/ shirts, or even another suit.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
I would say take your friend's advice. P Johnson gets a good wrap here

Really? I haven't been impressed with P Johnson for Phat Guido but what do I know...

Originally Posted by TheWraith
Shop around and compare prices and speak with a variety of people. Best advice possible.

I second this advice! Don't pick a tailor just because your friend or some one on the internet says so...

dingdongbell

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your help guys.

Could someone please tell me the main differences between a tailor make suit and a suit you can buy from Hugo boss etc...

Thanks

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tailor will make you a MTM (made to measure) suit for you, which is based on a pre-existing paper pattern that is tweaked to cater to a series of your measurements to make you a suit that fits very well; or a bespoke suit, which is based on your measurements and a new paper pattern drafted based completely off those measurements. You will be fitted several times until the suit is just right and fits you perfectly. Keep in mind, even with the best MTM and bespoke, there's still some trial and error and experimenting before they get it just right. That's all part of the experience and the wonders of bespoke tailoring. MTM is cheaper than bespoke also.

dingdongbell

Reaction score
Thanks very much.

In terms of look, will there be a significant difference? (Given the body shape is ordinary lol)

E.g. would MTM or Bespoke look a lot nicer compare to those "pre-made" suit.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, good MTM and bespoke will always look better than an OTR (off the rack) suit. But, if you're someone who is easy to fit (ie. not a strange shape that finds it hard to find a good fitting OTR suit), then perhaps OTR is for you after all. Depends on your budget, your time contraints etc. etc. I've given you a fair few options to look at. Shop around, compare prices, take it from there. And, above all, have fun with it
smile.gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dingdongbell
Thanks very much.

In terms of look, will there be a significant difference? (Given the body shape is ordinary lol)

E.g. would MTM or Bespoke look a lot nicer compare to those "pre-made" suit.

It all depends on how well an "off the rack" (OTR) suit fits.

Happily, most Herringbone and MJ Bale suits fit me very well off the rack, and the only things that need to be adjusted are the sleeve and trouser length.

Some other suit brands, however, are either too tight on me, or fit me like a sack.

If you can find an off-the-rack brand that fits you well - and if you like the product that they sell (cloth, pattern etc), then you're probably just as well off buying from them rather than experimenting with made-to-measure stuff.

If, however, you want to experiment with styles, or off-the-rack stuff doesn't fit you well, or if you really want a particular cloth that you can't find in anything off-the-rack, then try made-to-measure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads