or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 5246  

post #78676 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddock View Post

Yesterday in Macclesfield:


I'd be interested to hear explanations for why folks felt this worked. It seems a bit cacophonous to my eye, but as I've already explained, I'm trying to deduce the essence behind working rule-breaking fits. Personally, I don't think this worked. Fit is great, but I don't care for much else. But many clearly disagreed, and I'd like to know why.

What is cacophonous for you? That might help us help you understand.
post #78677 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post

Do like. A lot. I don't thumb as much as I should, but I did thumb this.
If I had one piece of input, it would be that I think the texture of the jacket could have been bolder. Looks like a medium to fine worst. I would have preferred a grosgrain or hopsack, to stand up to the texture elsewhere.

Thanks, G. I had originally planned on wearing a navy linen jacket, but I noticed an errant thumb print on the lapel, so that went to the cleaners today. It isnt an especially textured linen, but probably a little more in the direction you suggest.
I do quite like mixing textures, though. So I like the contrast, such as it is, between the pants, jacket, and tie.
post #78678 of 78717
AND...



STITCHY!
post #78679 of 78717

@sugarbutch 

That's kind of a creeeeepy cake, sir. 

post #78680 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post


I'd be interested to hear explanations for why folks felt this worked. It seems a bit cacophonous to my eye, but as I've already explained, I'm trying to deduce the essence behind working rule-breaking fits. Personally, I don't think this worked. Fit is great, but I don't care for much else. But many clearly disagreed, and I'd like to know why.

 

Your question should be answered by someone else and - of course - it's ok if you don't like it. But I don't understand why you think it's a "rule-breaking fit". Could you explain that, please? Just because of brown shoes?!

post #78681 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post


You'll note that I gave this a thumbs-up...
I beg to differ. Of course this depends on how your brain registers the patterns, but this is how mine does:

 

I'm with SB on this one. In fact, when I wear a neat I never wear a square with a small repeating pattern. If I want to wear a square with a small repeating pattern, I make sure the tie is solid or striped or something. That said, this is my beginner approach to this topic and I do believe that a pro could probably mix a neat tie with a small patterned square, but I don't think it works in this case.

 

Interestingly enough, I believe this reason is one of the primary reasons Manton eschews squares with "tie" patterns to them entirely.

 

YMMV

post #78682 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
 

@sugarbutch 

That's kind of a creeeeepy cake, sir. 

Happy B-Day, @in stitches.  I agree, Noodles.  Especially the way the flame on the T candle blocks out part of the A.  

post #78683 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

@sugarbutch
 
That's kind of a creeeeepy cake, sir. 

confused.gif
post #78684 of 78717

@sugarbutch 

Shoot, I just noticed that your avatar is scurrier...:nest:

post #78685 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

AND...


STITCHY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post

Happy B-Day, @in stitches
.  I agree, Noodles.  Especially the way the flame on the T candle blocks out part of the A.  

Thanks, guys! And thanks, kulata, i missed you in the multi quote. Sorry.

---

SB - perfect combo.
post #78686 of 78717
Do you people have some childhood issues with candles that you need to work out?
post #78687 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

[...]
I beg to differ. Of course this depends on how your brain registers the patterns, but this is how mine does: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


[...]

 

This is very interesting.  Thanks.

 

I tend to notice the columns and rows before I notice the diagonals.   I wonder if some Gestalt-oriented psychologist has data on which initial response is more common?  Perhaps it's like Wittgenstein's duck/rabbit.

 

Quote sugarbutch:
All the more reason to wear your pants at your natural waist as we discussed yesterday. teacha.gif (And don't listen to your personal tailor, I guess?)

 

Yes.  I’ve learned over the years that if I want bad advice I should go to the internet.  At least it has the virtue of being free …

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #78688 of 78717
post #78689 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

[...]

I beg to differ. Of course this depends on how your brain registers the patterns, but this is how mine does: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



[...]

This is very interesting.  Thanks.

I tend to notice the columns and rows before I notice the diagonals.   I wonder if some Gestalt-oriented psychologist has data on which initial response is more common?  Perhaps it's like Wittgenstein's duck/rabbit.
Quote:
All the more reason to wear your pants at your natural waist as we discussed yesterday. teacha.gif (And don't listen to your personal tailor, I guess?)

Yes.  I’ve learned over the years that if I want bad advice I should go to the internet.  At least it has the virtue of being free …

Cheers,

Ac

It also looks the same to me with the other orientation...

post #78690 of 78717
 
Originally Posted by sugarbutch
It also looks the same to me with the other orientation...

[...]

 

Understood.  I recognized the repetition of pattern and scale, I just didn't immediately notice the similarity of angle when the tie is interpreted on the diagonal.  That's what I was thanking you for.  :)

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III