or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 5212  

post #78166 of 78722

Well, if a suit is more formal than an odd jacket and trousers, thae in a vacuum, a suit jacket should be more formal than an odd jacket. By wearing a suit jacket outside the suit context, you're already playing with fire. Mixing it with casual trousers like chinos increases the discordance.

post #78167 of 78722
@DonCologne, solid work on your last look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsalmon View Post

Please explain regarding the pants. Is it the color or the material? I like to wear cotton pants when it rains so that I can wash them, and because the rain will not damage them. Thanks for your help.

It's two things for me. First is the material, which seems a bit thin. I find that outside of extreme summer heat I prefer cotton trousers of any kind to be heavier as they will hang and drape better. A nice 10-11 ounce cotton trouser would probably work a lot better, could hold a decent crease, etc. In winter I'd look at moleskins.

Second is the color. Generally speaking I do not like grey chinos. I've yet to see a pair that looked nearly as good as grey wool trousers in a similar color. Chinos to me should be in the stone / khaki / tan / olive range.
post #78168 of 78722
Without going to deep into this....your pants tell me it's casual Friday and the top half tells me it's meeting Monday. Make sense?
post #78169 of 78722
Thanks everyone, I see the dissonance. Would a navy hopsack blazer work with chinos, do you think? I'm trying to look like a lawyer while wearing cotton pants, which may be a fool's errand.
post #78170 of 78722
Khakis and a navy blazer (aka the California Tux) is a perfectly fine look. I am not sure how lawyerly it is, though. If you are going to do it, however, you want cotton trousers that hang a bit better and can hold a crease.
post #78171 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFV View Post



Does the sometimes-always-never buttoning pattern apply to ladies? Just curious...
post #78172 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

Khakis and a navy blazer (aka the California Tux) is a perfectly fine look. I am not sure how lawyerly it is, though. If you are going to do it, however, you want cotton trousers that hang a bit better and can hold a crease.
Okay, thanks. Ironing would probably improve things. These are Brooks Brothers chinos.
post #78173 of 78722
Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post
Originally Posted by Kylerton View Post

How come no one likes the horsebit loafers around here? 

I own five pair of horsebit loafers and love them.  Many people think they're too casual for suits, but I disagree.  Suits can be worn casually.  If they are worn casually, I think the shoes should be casual too to match.  But haters gon' hate.  

 

I have at least one pair of horsebits (can't remember if more!) and only wear them casually. But they are dark brown suede, so they would be difficult to do formally. However, black calf horsebits do have a niche within a certain laid back but suited style. It might be perceived as a bit 80s retro, but hey, that's no bad thing in my book.

 

Originally Posted by CousinDonuts View Post
Does the sometimes-always-never buttoning pattern apply to ladies? Just curious...

 

That particular jacket is most definitely cut for both buttons to be done up. It would look all kinds of wrong if only one were buttoned. More generally, most ladies' jackets are cut shorter than men's, naturally shifting the buttons upwards. However, there's an upper limit to how high the button stance can move to compensate for this (due to the desire to create some kind of neckline), so the buttons frequently end up in a similar position to the semi-mythical men's paddock jacket cut that's been discussed on this board before, where the cut is such that both buttons need to be done up for it to look right. It's not a hard & fast rule, but one based on the proportions that result. If you have a ladies' jacket that's cut more like a man's jacket, then the proportions alter and more mens' styling cues enter. For example, some of the stuff that Edward Sexton cut for Annie Lennox and Twiggy fit this paradigm IIRC. Also, again IIRC, Tilda Swinton's suit in Constantine. By the way, while we're on this topic, welcome to Kylerton; always good to see a healthy range of styles in the thread.

 

 

 

Lovely sunny day, so got to wear a couple of new linen purchases. Actually I got the trousers last year but this was the first chance I've had to wear them:

 

WS1Yzpt.jpg

post #78174 of 78722

 

post #78175 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post
 

 

I have at least one pair of horsebits (can't remember if more!) and only wear them casually. But they are dark brown suede, so they would be difficult to do formally. However, black calf horsebits do have a niche within a certain laid back but suited style. It might be perceived as a bit 80s retro, but hey, that's no bad thing in my book.

 

 

That particular jacket is most definitely cut for both buttons to be done up. It would look all kinds of wrong if only one were buttoned. More generally, most ladies' jackets are cut shorter than men's, naturally shifting the buttons upwards. However, there's an upper limit to how high the button stance can move to compensate for this (due to the desire to create some kind of neckline), so the buttons frequently end up in a similar position to the semi-mythical men's paddock jacket cut that's been discussed on this board before, where the cut is such that both buttons need to be done up for it to look right. It's not a hard & fast rule, but one based on the proportions that result. If you have a ladies' jacket that's cut more like a man's jacket, then the proportions alter and more mens' styling cues enter. For example, some of the stuff that Edward Sexton cut for Annie Lennox and Twiggy fit this paradigm IIRC. Also, again IIRC, Tilda Swinton's suit in Constantine. By the way, while we're on this topic, welcome to Kylerton; always good to see a healthy range of styles in the thread.

 

 

 

Lovely sunny day, so got to wear a couple of new linen purchases. Actually I got the trousers last year but this was the first chance I've had to wear them:

 

WS1Yzpt.jpg

Always elegant .. congratulations

post #78176 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Welcome to StyFo, Kylerton. You should join us for the next meet-up here in the city.

Would love to -- do you know when that is? I saw one in Oakland for next week. 

post #78177 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFV View Post

Welcome @Kylerton! Even if we do have a great width of variety in dressing among the existing members it's always interesting with more of the sort. I'll give my fiancée a tip about your site, as she usually works in a suit, and sometimes like to combine it with typical menswear accessories: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Thanks @EVF! your fiance looks awesome in a suit, would love to work with her. 
post #78178 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 


I think that's what their kickstarter is for! Crossing my fingers it works out well for them!

Quote:
 Originally Posted by chocsosa View Post
 


you guys in San Fran?.. do you have a physical store?.. would love to stop through my next time in the city..

@chocsosa We are in San Fran yeah -- been working out of a temp space since last July. and @ridethecliche is correct, we signed the lease to a storefront and the kickstarter is to build it out! 

post #78179 of 78722

yet another tie dimple attempt failed. still working on it guys. 

 

post #78180 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsalmon View Post

Please explain regarding the pants. Is it the color or the material? I like to wear cotton pants when it rains so that I can wash them, and because the rain will not damage them. Thanks for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsalmon View Post

Thanks everyone, I see the dissonance. Would a navy hopsack blazer work with chinos, do you think? I'm trying to look like a lawyer while wearing cotton pants, which may be a fool's errand.


i know this has been beaten to death, but it just looks off. pants are rumply-ish cotton (which is fine for chinos) and SC is very clean crisp wool. they are visually fighting each other.

imo, and im a bit of a bitch about this, chinos/khakis are really really hard to do with a wool SC. you need to have either a super luxe chino that essentially drapes like wool or a very deconstructed almost cotton looking wool SC for them to make sense together for me.

i understand the rain dilemma, its a real bitch. imo, the best thing to do is to either bite the bullet and get your nice pants wet and then press them, or dress down the top half along with the bottom.

my 2 cents.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III