or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 5174  

post #77596 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

^ Completely legit point. There are definitely aspects of judging the style and coherence of fits that are lost without referencing the wearer's complexion. SB didn't like my last tie but it was a great example of a color that would look terrible on him but fits my blond/blue/fairish complexion quite well.

This one?

http://www.styleforum.net/t/234255/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iii/76400_50#post_7091761

If so, the color was not the source of my meh.
post #77597 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Shirt is too tight. Generally speaking, your jackets and shirts are too snug.

Dude has big arms.
post #77598 of 78723
True enough, but I'm thinking more of the chest and waist. If he can't find suitable shirts off the rack, perhaps MTM.
post #77599 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinDonuts View Post

Dude has big arms.
it's the gaping front that's off putting to me. One of those buttons could pop off and take an eye out.
post #77600 of 78723
Mate, please give it a rest about the shoes. I lile them, other people like them and obviously AAS likes them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

You know I can't let that go, AAS. Even if we look past the orphaned-suit-jacket aspect of it, there's a pretty bad incoherence with the tattersall vest. And then the scarf takes it even further in the direction of slick. Finally, leaving aside the incoherence, the vest is too light for the other elements. It's just out of place.

I bet you're wearing those damned shoes, too...
post #77601 of 78723
You are bursting out of your shirt.
post #77602 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcobinad View Post

Today's outfit even if the weather forecast today is not the best. Enjoy your weekend guys ! smile.gif




Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


IMG_3796_zpsd0efd11b.jpg
You are bursting out of your shirt.
post #77603 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzsol View Post

You are bursting out of your shirt.

LOL, I expected such commentary !
post #77604 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post


You know I can't let that go, AAS. Even if we look past the orphaned-suit-jacket aspect of it, there's a pretty bad incoherence with the tattersall vest. And then the scarf takes it even further in the direction of slick. Finally, leaving aside the incoherence, the vest is too light for the other elements. It's just out of place.

I bet you're wearing those damned shoes, too...

 

Here's the look without the scarf.  I think it looks much better without it in retrospect.  I think the cream vest isn't great with the white of the shirt, but the checks in both pull them together.  They're both red/navy check.  I wore the brown/cream silk knot to try pull in some more cream in the outfit.  I think this is one of my better 5 pattern ensembles because it uses so few colors.  

 

About the shoes... I was in a horrible car accident last week and both my feet were severed from my legs.  I heard Clags had a similar accident.  He has taken to carrying his shoes in his hand to compensate.  I'm just going to keep it above the knee.  

 

 

post #77605 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcobinad View Post

LOL, I expected such commentary !
But look at that third button, it will pop anytime soon and the sleeves! Come on man, that shirt isn't comfortable by any stretch.
post #77606 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post

Here's the look without the scarf.  I think it looks much better without it in retrospect.  I think the cream vest isn't great with the white of the shirt, but the checks in both pull them together.  They're both red/navy check.  I wore the brown/cream silk knot to try pull in some more cream in the outfit.  I think this is one of my better 5 pattern ensembles because it uses so few colors.  

About the shoes... I was in a horrible car accident last week and both my feet were severed from my legs.  I heard Clags had a similar accident.  He has taken to carrying his shoes in his hand to compensate.  I'm just going to keep it above the knee.  

It looks a lot better than before, and it works colour wise, but you're still wearing an orphaned 'city' suit jacket with one of the most traditionally 'country' patterned vests. Put on a tweed sport coat and some corduroy trousers and you have yourself a great outfit. I think DonC has a similar vest if you're looking for inspiration. You're better off selling that jacket, as the pattern is much too subdued for a sport coat. Try to take this into account when shopping next time.
post #77607 of 78723
^ This.
post #77608 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post

But look at that third button, it will pop anytime soon and the sleeves! Come on man, that shirt isn't comfortable by any stretch.

Fantastic Kul rotflmao.gif
post #77609 of 78723

Get this Drake´s PS toady from Exquisite Trimmings my favorite PS and tie dealer.

 

 

See details (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

post #77610 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFV View Post


Ok, since you asked for feedback.

The suit is decent fitting, not great, but passable. There is a type of pulling at the chest that suggests the buttoning point might be slightly high. Your pants seem a bit long. Cream and brown don't work very well with your complexion I'm afraid. It's either that or the lighting in the room where this pic is taken is horrible, because it makes you look kinda pasty. The lapels could be wider. The tie is too pale for this ensemble, which, together with the other elements of the fit, makes the colour scheme seem washed out.

I think you'd look good in colder colours, i.e. blue, grey etc. Or if you do brown suit, you cold try to break it off with light blue shirt and maybe a navy tie. You also look like you have a sense of flair. If that's the case, look to @Tirailleur1@barims@TTO@LabelKing and other people with original dress styles for inspiration.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Agreed. The warm brown isn't working here. Also given your head size and apparent height, I'd look for jackets with wider lapels. The shirt color is an excellent match with the jacket, but the tie is very discordant with everything else.
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Isolation: I disagree with Clags on the shirt. That yellowish cream shirt combined with the brown isn't a pleasing combination. I second EFV's suggestion of a cooler color shirt.

Donuts: The close-up of the fabric on the SuitSupply site suggests that it's sufficiently textured to work as an odd jacket. Maybe more obviously non-suit buttons would help.
 

 

Thanks a lot for the comments.

 

With the outfit, I see what you mean and I have to say when I wore it and first saw it together I did have an inkling that the tie is just difficult to pair with the jacket but it was chosen by my partner (we'd just bought it the other day) and I wanted to get it to work. I felt like my other suits are a bit too city for the tie so from my options it felt like the brown linen was my best match in the whole rusticating/city scale thing. It felt to me like for the tie and suit to work together cream was the best color I could have chosen? Well anyway. As for me looking pasty, I actually just look kind of pasty, for an Asian anyway, though I think the color with the camera did emphasize that.

 

If you don't mind I'd like to repost some outfits as well as several I have saved if you guys don't mind commenting on it? I think it'd be useful to get feedback on the whole as to my approach. I am very sure I'm messing up a lot, but I've been kind of scared off really posting them since I KNOW they are mostly failures, without knowing specifically which things are the problems and why, and possibly what I can do to fix it, but you guys have been helpful and if you don't mind I'd love to hear some more comments on the follow outfits, both specific and generic.

 

As for the flair thing, yeah, I dress in a context that is def not CBD and has a wide range of formality, and in fact a lot of my outfits are more streetwear/casual so I haven't been able to post here, but I am sure you people are familiar enough and have good enough of an eye to comment anyway so I'll include some of those outfits. Thanks for your recommendations I'll go ahead and look them up. As to colors, yeah I do tend to prefer cooler colors, it's just I've always tended towards to gray (and in fact, black, which I know styelforum dislikes but, I'll be honest, I think it looks good on me, and I infact just bought a hopsack black blazer, I guess I'll post that later after it's done altering), and seeing lots of great outfits in stuff like tweeds and browns I've wanted to try, but I think you're right. Earlier I posted as much, I feel that due to complexion and hair color, something like tweed just tends to look quite poor on an Asian guy especially a younger one.

 

Sorry for all the photos, I spoilered them in case people are not interested, but I would really appreciate it if anyone has time to click through them and give me their opinion on my thought process. I am well aware that I don't know my stuff, and I don't want anyone to think my blatant disregard for SF wisdom is a sign that I know better, it's just personally I like to fully comprehend concepts through trial and error or demonstration to really get a sense of it, as opposed to just following rules of thumb somewhat blindly. I am sure I would eventually understand through both ways, but the former is more interesting for me, and I feel that's important. I'm alright with looking silly and making mistakes, and I'm alright with being told so.

 

Here are some outfits that I think are more or less acceptable. Probably should properly comb my hair, adjust my belt, tuck in that pocket square a bit more, etc, but I think these are fairly safe choices for various levels of formality that work alright. I hope I am mostly correct?

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

And here are some outfits that I think styleforum in general would probably find it ridiculous/hilariously bad in some way, but I'll be honest when I put them together I liked them, and I still like at least part of their aesthetic, but I've been unsure how to improve on them because I feel like most of the comments I'd get would be to just "don't try this" (especially my obsession with waistcoats), which is fair enough, I am sure most posters here are experienced enough with either seeing others or having themselves tried too hard with more ornate accents or outfits and end up ridiculous, but I really like trying new things. In particular (and I don't have too much of it photographed here) I really like darker trousers which it seems SF doesn't really like. I posted before, but I feel like for my complexion it's more appropriate as it's more neutralized with my hair color, and as opposed to darker trousers on lighter haired/skinned people sucking in the focus, it'd be fine and allow more focus on the chest area, my shirt, tie, jacket, etc. 

 

Well anyway here are some:

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Here I had a dark navy shirt I never get to wear and tried to make use of it. I don't... think it works that well. I feel like the pant's color stood out most of all so it just drew everything to that area which I don't want. I think a simple solution is to not wear a dark navy shirt, but aside from that, wearing washed jeans with this will probably be okay, it'll be lighter than the top but not enough to be so stark a contrast. Like I said I actually generally like darker colors. It feels more natural to me. In fact contextually it makes more sense too, I am basically generally out during the night or after midnight in something like bar/party enviroments that are casual but dressed up.

 

 

 

I'll be honest I like this look a lot, but I assume everyone will hate it:

 

 

This one too I assume everyone will hate, I already posted in on the MC Casual thread. I liked it though. People say it makes me look tryhard, which I don't care about tbh. I assume if someone looks dandy but nails it perfectly nobody would say much against it, so I can only assume it's because I didn't pull it off, not because it's not okay to dress slightly flashy, but I don't know exactly what I should be doing about this, and what's ineffective about it. (ignore the chain I had my keys lol I don't have a pocketwatch kk)

 

 

This is an earlier version of the same outfit, as you can see I just really like the aesthetic and am drawn to it, and I've been trying to find ways to make it work but obviously I am just not that experienced.

 

 

 

Some more outfits with black slacks and my black suit, which I think looks good for me, and I know it's generally seen as a bad choice so I want to see if people think it's an exception for me.


 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

The tie here I think is terrible, and in general when I took this I just didn't have many good ties. I also just used the same jacket and square from before but I just wanted to see how black trousers and gray jacket would look. I think it's okay..?

 

 

 

 

Thanks. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III