or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 5090  

post #76336 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

As usual Sander wins the internet today.

How do you feel about peak lapels that point way above the shoulders?
post #76337 of 78717
Depends. Are you referring to Sander's? I think those are nice.
post #76338 of 78717

Yellow Tie for teh Friday Challenge. In truth, I forgot I owned this tie. I bought it some months ago, with the intention of wearing it once the weather brightened, and forgot all about it. It was only through the search for a (different) yellow tie today that I rediscovered it. So sugarbutch, for picking this theme, I salute you!

 

uAolBRz.jpg

post #76339 of 78717
I thought we got rid of the people who literally hold fast to dress rules they read on the internet. 
post #76340 of 78717
Yellow tie done right ^
post #76341 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirailleur1 View Post
 
I thought we got rid of the people who literally hold fast to dress rules they read on the internet. 

:hide:

 

I did have a more interesting fit in mind, but it didn't work with that tie. And since I rediscovered it, I wanted to wear it. I might do the more interesting yellow tie fit tomorrow instead.

post #76342 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post

Stop.

Shantung time.

We have a lot of beautiful new summer ties in shantung, grenadine etc and I'm torn which one to wear, hence the grumpy look. Suit is a bit shorter than I'd like but not a short as it seems in these pictures with arms crossed.



according to @PCK1  you are dressing for a season that has already passed. outfit is ruined. you have failed. 

post #76343 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post
 

:hide:

 

I did have a more interesting fit in mind, but it didn't work with that tie. And since I rediscovered it, I wanted to wear it. I might do the more interesting yellow tie fit tomorrow instead.

that wasn't for you. I was addressing the silly argument about brown ties. 

post #76344 of 78717
Although I don't wear brown ties, I have nothing against seeing them year round. You can do a lot with textures and fabrics to make them fit the seasons.

That rust one Sander is wearing is awesome and in shantung. Perfect for the season.
post #76345 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirailleur1 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post
 

:hide:

 

I did have a more interesting fit in mind, but it didn't work with that tie. And since I rediscovered it, I wanted to wear it. I might do the more interesting yellow tie fit tomorrow instead.

that wasn't for you. I was addressing the silly argument about brown ties. 

 

Oh, right, sorry.

 

Regarding that argument, I do think there's a lot of seasonality in colours. Some shades work better in specific seasons due to both the nature of the colour itself (some shades thrive in sunshine and look drab in lowlight) and the sociocultural assocations it's built up over the years. However, it's a massive & unwarranted step to then say that you shouldn't wear certain colours in certain seasons. It's more that you need to be aware of the impact of the atypical colour within the overall fit. For example. to take Sander's fit, it's a generally "spring" palette - the blue of the suit is brighter than navy, the shirt has a summery look, and the brown of hte tie is a shade or two lighter than chocolate, in a summery material, plus has light colours in the stripes. Add that to a bright white square, and despite having some dark brown in the tie, the overall look is light, fresh and undeniably vernal. So it works well.

 

And sometimes you might want to deliberately introduce an element of aseasonality for the contrast it provokes.

 

In short, like most things, it's forethought & execution that matters most.

post #76346 of 78717
Seasonality in color got people that live around the equator loling.
post #76347 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

As usual Sander wins the internet today.

blush.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

Oh, right, sorry.

Regarding that argument, I do think there's a lot of seasonality in colours. Some shades work better in specific seasons due to both the nature of the colour itself (some shades thrive in sunshine and look drab in lowlight) and the sociocultural assocations it's built up over the years. However, it's a massive & unwarranted step to then say that you shouldn't wear certain colours in certain seasons. It's more that you need to be aware of the impact of the atypical colour within the overall fit. For example. to take Sander's fit, it's a generally "spring" palette - the blue of the suit is brighter than navy, the shirt has a summery look, and the brown of hte tie is a shade or two lighter than chocolate, in a summery material, plus has light colours in the stripes. Add that to a bright white square, and despite having some dark brown in the tie, the overall look is light, fresh and undeniably vernal. So it works well.

And sometimes you might want to deliberately introduce an element of aseasonality for the contrast it provokes.

In short, like most things, it's forethought & execution that matters most.

Very well put, I think. We even have a plain brown shantung in our new collection, and this brown is definitely colder than the more coppery tone I have here. I still think it works really well as a subtle summer tie. In general I like warmer tones better (coppery brown, not grayish, same goes for suede shoes) but colder ones are much easier to coordinate. Warmer colors draw more attention to themselves, so it easier to "overload" an outfit with them.
post #76348 of 78717
post #76349 of 78717
Not keen on that shirt with that suit, Sotiris
post #76350 of 78717
Nice to see pB hanging out here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III