Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:53 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 11:17 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate It
Last edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest?Last edited: 5/10/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 5030post #75436 of 787214/15/14 at 5:55am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #75437 of 787214/15/14 at 6:03am
Knock yourself out!
I have plainer ties. Some nice ones too; Drake's, Richard James, PRL. As you can see over the year, as I've posted plenty of fits with those kinds of ties, so I know how to work that angle, pretty much. Sometimes though I like to try something different, to see if it works. If it doesn't fair enough. If it does, great. I don't lose any sleep over it though.
BUT I APPRECIATE THE FEEDBACK FROM EVERYONE. I do. I mean it. From the bottom of my tie drawer.post #75438 of 787214/15/14 at 6:04ampost #75439 of 787214/15/14 at 6:15amThat's a hard tie to make work because it's going to look washed out against most outfits, ETB.
I think you'd need like a light colored linen jacket or something for it ...
Lighter ties aren't my strong suit but I think lighter linen > navy anythingpost #75440 of 787214/15/14 at 6:30amQuote:
Cool; appreciate that - while I don't have a light linen jacket (its never that warm in Ireland) I could pair it with a lighter grey next time out.post #75441 of 787214/15/14 at 6:47ampost #75442 of 787214/15/14 at 6:51am
ETB, I'm going to offer my input but I'll be brief since I've already said plenty. Everyone else is trying to pair their loud ties with casual fits. They all have the right idea even though none seem executed just right. Loud tie with worsted city suit does NOT work IMO. Why? It's too discordant. Your fit as a whole does not look like it's in harmony.
Since Vox's epic post on this subject has been thrown around here lately, here are some quotes from him:Quote: VoxPerhaps you do not seek discordancy itself, but the desire to “stand out” from the “crowd.” You know, just a touch of crazy. Just a tad, just a little, discordant. A “twist” on the traditional.
But, what if it is the crowd that is touch crazy, just a tad, just little, discordant?
This is the paradox for the self-expressionist: standing out is simple. It is doing it distinctively well that is unlikely...and by definition; it can only be a game of the few.Quote: VoxIs there an alternative? Perhaps.
How about harmony?
Belonging, order, and respect can, unfortunately, be conformity, ossification, and servility…but, they don’t have to be.
I think this next one is especially good IMO:
Make up your mind, at least to the extent that allows you to pick a jacket, a suit, a shirt, a tie, and have them all look like they belong together. You must make a decision before you can be good at doing either: discordancy or harmony.
This premise will not be popular on this forum. The vast majority of you seem deluded into believing that you will look good by over-laying, festooning, "twisting," something "boring" (you think) with a bit of something "interesting," something with "personality," something that "sets you apart." Nothing could be further from the truth. You are diluting, you are marring, you are sinking into a type of mediocrity, of conformity, in coat and tie dress that is little different than the low-cost, mass-merchandized world from which most of you are trying to escape.
If you really are a dandy, an iconoclast, you can only be successful at it by committing full on...like LabelKing does. If you hold back, then all you are doing is dressing weakly. You are unlikely to be good, and you will never be excellent.
And before you ask, yes I include today's tie in this category.post #75443 of 787214/15/14 at 6:51amQuote:
Early betting action would be heavy on Holdfast and SugarButch, I think.
Also, I was about to write something like "TL;DR version of L2BR's post = study LabelKing's gallery of fits" but Vox was also nice enough to do that himself.
I think it was maybe NORE or NOBD who also peacocked pretty well... but I didn't look through that thread much so I may be listing the wrong SF person.post #75444 of 787214/15/14 at 6:58am
Thanks for the feedback everyone... this outfit looked much better in my mind than in real life.
And in retrospect when I look at the pictures, I realize that a solid PS would have worked better ... and jeans, well... hmmmm maybe not the best choice.post #75445 of 787214/15/14 at 6:58amQuote:Originally Posted by calypso
Inspired by Claghorns tie, I tried this kombinatonen today ... I suspect all kindz of SF rules are broken here...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Stop with the jeans or take it over to SW&D.post #75446 of 787214/15/14 at 7:00amQuote:
Thanks. I'd love to go bag free on vacation, but I'm often asked very nicely to carry a few items for my wife. There's no way she's going to fit a DSLR and two guide books in her spring purse.post #75447 of 787214/15/14 at 7:00amQuote:
FWIW, I think that jacket may be too "sharp" for the tie (it certainly is for the jeans). However, clags' two recommendations are much more pressing for this fit. I applaud the effort however.post #75448 of 787214/15/14 at 7:02ampost #75449 of 787214/15/14 at 7:11amQuote:
I don't recall any denim and tie fits ever being received well around these parts. Am I wrong? I'd like to see some "good" examples. I feel like everyone gets all Michael Scott when the put on a pair of jeans. *inset dancing gif*post #75450 of 787214/15/14 at 7:15amQuote:
That composite thread is useful as all hell.Quote:Originally Posted by EFV
Another jeans fit from me. RL Polo BD shirt collars doesn't roll very good, so I kept it unbuttoned:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...
- › Carmina GMTO 10 seconds ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 13 seconds ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 25 seconds ago
- › Motorcycles 52 seconds ago
- › Comfortable casual shoe/sneaker for walking in Europe this summer 1 minute ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › NIB VASS Double Monks, Oxblood, 43 (US 10D), F-Last, Lasted Trees 4 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 5 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 6 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan