Cool; appreciate that - while I don't have a light linen jacket (its never that warm in Ireland) I could pair it with a lighter grey next time out.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:59 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 5030post #75436 of 787174/15/14 at 6:30ampost #75437 of 787174/15/14 at 6:47ampost #75438 of 787174/15/14 at 6:51am
ETB, I'm going to offer my input but I'll be brief since I've already said plenty. Everyone else is trying to pair their loud ties with casual fits. They all have the right idea even though none seem executed just right. Loud tie with worsted city suit does NOT work IMO. Why? It's too discordant. Your fit as a whole does not look like it's in harmony.
Since Vox's epic post on this subject has been thrown around here lately, here are some quotes from him:Quote: VoxPerhaps you do not seek discordancy itself, but the desire to “stand out” from the “crowd.” You know, just a touch of crazy. Just a tad, just a little, discordant. A “twist” on the traditional.
But, what if it is the crowd that is touch crazy, just a tad, just little, discordant?
This is the paradox for the self-expressionist: standing out is simple. It is doing it distinctively well that is unlikely...and by definition; it can only be a game of the few.Quote: VoxIs there an alternative? Perhaps.
How about harmony?
Belonging, order, and respect can, unfortunately, be conformity, ossification, and servility…but, they don’t have to be.
I think this next one is especially good IMO:
Make up your mind, at least to the extent that allows you to pick a jacket, a suit, a shirt, a tie, and have them all look like they belong together. You must make a decision before you can be good at doing either: discordancy or harmony.
This premise will not be popular on this forum. The vast majority of you seem deluded into believing that you will look good by over-laying, festooning, "twisting," something "boring" (you think) with a bit of something "interesting," something with "personality," something that "sets you apart." Nothing could be further from the truth. You are diluting, you are marring, you are sinking into a type of mediocrity, of conformity, in coat and tie dress that is little different than the low-cost, mass-merchandized world from which most of you are trying to escape.
If you really are a dandy, an iconoclast, you can only be successful at it by committing full on...like LabelKing does. If you hold back, then all you are doing is dressing weakly. You are unlikely to be good, and you will never be excellent.
And before you ask, yes I include today's tie in this category.post #75439 of 787174/15/14 at 6:51amQuote:
Early betting action would be heavy on Holdfast and SugarButch, I think.
Also, I was about to write something like "TL;DR version of L2BR's post = study LabelKing's gallery of fits" but Vox was also nice enough to do that himself.
I think it was maybe NORE or NOBD who also peacocked pretty well... but I didn't look through that thread much so I may be listing the wrong SF person.post #75440 of 787174/15/14 at 6:58am
Thanks for the feedback everyone... this outfit looked much better in my mind than in real life.
And in retrospect when I look at the pictures, I realize that a solid PS would have worked better ... and jeans, well... hmmmm maybe not the best choice.post #75441 of 787174/15/14 at 6:58amQuote:Originally Posted by calypso
Inspired by Claghorns tie, I tried this kombinatonen today ... I suspect all kindz of SF rules are broken here...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Stop with the jeans or take it over to SW&D.post #75442 of 787174/15/14 at 7:00amQuote:
Thanks. I'd love to go bag free on vacation, but I'm often asked very nicely to carry a few items for my wife. There's no way she's going to fit a DSLR and two guide books in her spring purse.post #75443 of 787174/15/14 at 7:00amQuote:
FWIW, I think that jacket may be too "sharp" for the tie (it certainly is for the jeans). However, clags' two recommendations are much more pressing for this fit. I applaud the effort however.post #75444 of 787174/15/14 at 7:02ampost #75445 of 787174/15/14 at 7:11amQuote:
I don't recall any denim and tie fits ever being received well around these parts. Am I wrong? I'd like to see some "good" examples. I feel like everyone gets all Michael Scott when the put on a pair of jeans. *inset dancing gif*post #75446 of 787174/15/14 at 7:15amQuote:
That composite thread is useful as all hell.Quote:Originally Posted by EFV
Another jeans fit from me. RL Polo BD shirt collars doesn't roll very good, so I kept it unbuttoned:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #75447 of 787174/15/14 at 7:17amQuote:
We'll I haven't been around very long, so that may very we'll be the case. However, the current thread "leaders" have been staging street wear invasions, so I suspect a decent jeans fit would be well received at this point. Times change.
Edit: ^ there you gopost #75448 of 787174/15/14 at 7:28amSince we're on the topic, I think jeans done well (with a tie) will almost always have the following two additional components. 1. Deconstructed jacket be that a flannel wool or linen/cotton. 2. Boots.
I think the other items are flexible but obviously casual. However, I cannot think of a better shoe to bridge the gap than boots.post #75449 of 787174/15/14 at 7:29amAbove pic is still too dad wash for my liking.
I prefer these two to it:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/336406/show-me-your-best-sport-jacket-with-blue-jeans-and-list-the-brand-model-and#post_6143602post #75450 of 787174/15/14 at 7:37am
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 3 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Thrift Thread Maker Label Guide 12 minutes ago
- › German watches-- still around, any good? 28 minutes ago
- › RLPL Westley Blue Basket Weave Linen Sport Coat 30 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 33 minutes ago
- › Herring Shoes - Experiences? 35 minutes ago
- › Gun Appreciation Thread 40 minutes ago
- › Buday Shoes - Hungarian Shoemaker 42 minutes ago
- › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know 56 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding