or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 5026  

post #75376 of 78723
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Sorry, HF, not feeling it. I dont love either, but the roll neck looks better than this imo.
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post
 

HF, I think the biggest issue with this fit is that you're wearing a chalk stripe suit, the epitome of business/city suits. Why not try the shirt with a plain light/medium grey suit if you're going for the futuristic look? Maybe something with a little mohair in it?

 

Thanks. It's very interesting hearing that; I would have thought the turtle would have been more controversial. I wonder if getting a higher band on the Nehru might alleviate some of the issue...

 

I have to say, I have a feeling that I will still wear it with formal suits anyway, just because it feels good on me and I like the look. But that doesn't mean I'm ignoring the feedback; keep it coming as it's useful to know the balance of popular opinion, regardless of whatever I finally decide. :fonz:

 

Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post
 

HF, I think the biggest issue with this fit is that you're wearing a chalk stripe suit, the epitome of business/city suits. Why not try the shirt with a plain light/medium grey suit if you're going for the futuristic look? Maybe something with a little mohair in it?

 

The idea of a light/medium grey suit is good. I was thinking about trying it with a plain navy 2B too. I also have a checked grey mohair/wool DB awaiting alteration and was going to try that with it too, so that chimes with your suggestion too.

 

To Ac - yes, they can tell I'm wearing a shirt. I see what you mean now.

post #75377 of 78723
@Holdfast i agree with your retro-future assessment, but I still like it. It looks like you should be giving a sermon on the body electric. bigstar[1].gif minus the bow.
post #75378 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post
 

HF, I think the biggest issue with this fit is that you're wearing a chalk stripe suit, the epitome of business/city suits. Why not try the shirt with a plain light/medium grey suit if you're going for the futuristic look? Maybe something with a little mohair in it?

This was my thought -- soft shouldered DB is the right idea, but it needs to be a more out-there fabric. Maybe a fancy stripe, a la the less reputable Hong Kong tailors, so you look like a Mafia underboss in a 1984 William Gibson novel.

 

If you like it enough to get a second, I think cream could be cool.

post #75379 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post

@Holdfast i agree with your retro-future assessment, but I still like it. It looks like you should be giving a sermon on the body electric. bigstar[1].gif minus the bow.

 

LOL, yes, I get what you mean.

 

I actually wished I had a black suit to wear with it today. First time I've thought that!

 

Other options apart from that and the ones mentioned by Monkeyface above, that I think might work: tan or tobacco linen suit, possible mid-blue blazer in a similar sort of fabric. Or mid slim grey trousers and a black leather jacket perhaps. I've been meaning to get one... :stirpot: 

 

Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post

 

... needs to be a more out-there fabric. Maybe a fancy stripe, a la the less reputable Hong Kong tailors, so you look like a Mafia underboss in a 1984 William Gibson novel.

 

ooh... now this idea I Iike!!

 

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think I was unconsciously chanelling some kind of Blade Runner-esque vibe by pairing it with a suit. I do love that movie. Was there something similar in Gattaca too? Can't remember.

 

Anyway, now this theme has been made conscious to me, through your and AAS's posts, I think I have some ideas of how to deploy it in a more directed way within that theme next time.


Edited by Holdfast - 4/14/14 at 7:32am
post #75380 of 78723
HF, it's not something I would do, but I think it probably works for you. I think a taller band would balance out the proportions a bit better, though.
post #75381 of 78723
Already summer in Aix...

post #75382 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post
 

 

LOL, yes, I get what you mean.

 

I actually wished I had a black suit to wear with it today. First time I've thought that!

 

Other options apart from that and the ones mentioned by Monkeyface above, that I think might work: tan or tobacco linen suit, possible mid-blue blazer in a similar sort of fabric. Or mid slim grey trousers and a black leather jacket perhaps. I've been meaning to get one... :stirpot: 

 

 

ooh... now this idea I Iike!!

 

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think I was unconsciously chanelling some kind of Blade Runner-esque vibe by pairing it with a suit. I do love that movie. Was there something similar in Gattaca too? Can't remember.

 

Anyway, now this theme has been made conscious to me, through your and AAS's posts, I think I have some ideas of how to deploy it in a more directed way within that theme next time.

 

I think Gattaca had spearpoint collars, but a nehru collar would definitely fit with the spirit of that movie.

post #75383 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar ezzahi View Post

Already summer in Aix...


Nice look. Is this a suit or SC? If the latter what type of trousers are you wearing?
post #75384 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapeyron View Post


I could see myself wearing some of these drake's florals. when attending summer weddings, though.


Me too. I would welcome a shift away from the banality of the (much loved) solid grenadine...
post #75385 of 78723
Too early for this jacket?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

0615583E-0BBB-403B-B51A-CCFA6A3547BF_zpstd0rav9k.jpg
post #75386 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post
 

 

Thanks. It's very interesting hearing that; I would have thought the turtle would have been more controversial. [...]

 

Could this be one of those European/American differences which occasionally crop up here?  I used to sail as a young man, and I can testify that in the U.S. a navy DB with a cream turtleneck was pretty common at yacht clubs here during the autumn, so that look is familiar to me.  I've never seen a Nehru collar with a DB in real life, on the other hand.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #75387 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post
 

 

Relevant image, from December last year:

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
qWMf02k.jpg

 

Yes, this is why I'd asked to be honest.

 

In all honesty, I think the nehru collar is an out of place/foreign concept to an american audience more so than is to a british one. I don't think that it's solely the reason people were unhappy with your fit, but I'm not totally surprised by the reception.

post #75388 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHT652 View Post

Nice look. Is this a suit or SC? If the latter what type of trousers are you wearing?
Thanks! It's a twill of cotton Cucinelli jacket. I wear it with a pair of jeans and a pair of EG Rye.
post #75389 of 78723
Today, a lovely sunny day...


AppleMark

More & Details (Click to show)



Suit - Gieves & Hawkes

Tie - Marinella

PS - PSmith

Shirt - Canali

Shoes - J Lobb



AppleMark

AppleMark

AppleMark

AppleMark
post #75390 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Do you think a turtleneck would have gone with or is that incongruous as well due to the formality?

Me personally, I would never wear any knitwear under a suit ever, partly cos I live in a hot place, partly cos I hardly own any knitwear and partly cos my name is not Cyril Figgis. But as HF demonstrated with his later photo, although I'm not a fan, his roll neck works much better than the grandad shirt.

@HF I have NEVER seen a band collar shirt at a wedding. On the odd occasion I see one worn formally, like Samuel L Jackson with a black version and black tie at the oscars, it makes the wearer look either like they're trying too hard to be trendy, or that they're just clueless, none of which obviously applies to you, so while I admire your spirit of adventure and experimentation I would consign this one to the 'oops' department!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III