Thanks man. I'm not really a suit guy but SF influence has got me making a navy birdseye suit and I hope it comes out great
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 3:23 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 5025post #75361 of 787194/14/14 at 5:57ampost #75362 of 787194/14/14 at 6:17ampost #75363 of 787194/14/14 at 6:17ampost #75364 of 787194/14/14 at 6:20ampost #75365 of 787194/14/14 at 6:22ampost #75366 of 787194/14/14 at 6:27am
Hmm, I always think of Nehru collars as being very formal, given their use in weddings. Interesting.
Is this question meant for me?
If so, I'm not sure I get the question. If you mean at the collar, then yes, the band is high enough to appear above the jacket, same as a normal shirt's band would be.post #75367 of 787194/14/14 at 6:30amQuote:
Do you think a turtleneck would have gone with or is that incongruous as well due to the formality?post #75368 of 787194/14/14 at 6:38amQuote:Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Do you think a turtleneck would have gone with or is that incongruous as well due to the formality?
Relevant image, from December last year:post #75369 of 787194/14/14 at 6:41ampost #75370 of 787194/14/14 at 7:06amQuote:If so, I'm not sure I get the question. If you mean at the collar, then yes, the band is high enough to appear above the jacket, same as a normal shirt's band would be.
Yes, thanks, it was meant for you. I hit "reply" rather than quote. Sorry. I was merely wondering whether someone standing behind you would know you're wearing a shirt.
Acpost #75371 of 787194/14/14 at 7:08am
HF, I think the biggest issue with this fit is that you're wearing a chalk stripe suit, the epitome of business/city suits. Why not try the shirt with a plain light/medium grey suit if you're going for the futuristic look? Maybe something with a little mohair in it?post #75372 of 787194/14/14 at 7:10am
Thanks. It's very interesting hearing that; I would have thought the turtle would have been more controversial. I wonder if getting a higher band on the Nehru might alleviate some of the issue...
I have to say, I have a feeling that I will still wear it with formal suits anyway, just because it feels good on me and I like the look. But that doesn't mean I'm ignoring the feedback; keep it coming as it's useful to know the balance of popular opinion, regardless of whatever I finally decide.
The idea of a light/medium grey suit is good. I was thinking about trying it with a plain navy 2B too. I also have a checked grey mohair/wool DB awaiting alteration and was going to try that with it too, so that chimes with your suggestion too.
To Ac - yes, they can tell I'm wearing a shirt. I see what you mean now.post #75373 of 787194/14/14 at 7:13ampost #75374 of 787194/14/14 at 7:20amQuote:
This was my thought -- soft shouldered DB is the right idea, but it needs to be a more out-there fabric. Maybe a fancy stripe, a la the less reputable Hong Kong tailors, so you look like a Mafia underboss in a 1984 William Gibson novel.
If you like it enough to get a second, I think cream could be cool.post #75375 of 787194/14/14 at 7:21amQuote:Originally Posted by An Acute Style
@Holdfast i agree with your retro-future assessment, but I still like it. It looks like you should be giving a sermon on the body electric. minus the bow.
LOL, yes, I get what you mean.
I actually wished I had a black suit to wear with it today. First time I've thought that!
Other options apart from that and the ones mentioned by Monkeyface above, that I think might work: tan or tobacco linen suit, possible mid-blue blazer in a similar sort of fabric. Or mid slim grey trousers and a black leather jacket perhaps. I've been meaning to get one...
ooh... now this idea I Iike!!
You know, the more I think about it, the more I think I was unconsciously chanelling some kind of Blade Runner-esque vibe by pairing it with a suit. I do love that movie. Was there something similar in Gattaca too? Can't remember.
Anyway, now this theme has been made conscious to me, through your and AAS's posts, I think I have some ideas of how to deploy it in a more directed way within that theme next time.
Edited by Holdfast - 4/14/14 at 7:32am
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Blue Blazer still foundational? 55 seconds ago
- › Bodega - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 3 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton,... 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › What would you wear today? 4 minutes ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 5 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 7 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 7 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts