or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 5015  

post #75211 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheGroom View Post

I have learned to assume you have the best of intentions, and that your comments are always meant in a friendly way, stitchy.

smile.gif

usually that is true!
Quote:
And, any of us that don't wish our wilder (or Wilde-er) choices criticized, should not post them here. I know there are many of us that only post fits that will be met with general approval, and reserve our other fits. I find that, even if I post something I know will be poorly received, there will be criticisms that help me make it better, to my own standards, as well as those of others.

i take no issue with that at all. perfectly reasonable.
Quote:
I took no offense at the inclusion of my ties (though was surprised you felt as strongly about the purple, but no matter). I knew they wouldn't be liked.

glad you took no offense!

the purple tie was also one included with purpose.

its an example of a tie that had it not been for the self patterned geometric squares, could have been ok. that was a situation where an otherwise ok, if bold, tie, was ruined by one too many components. a simple purple tie with dots can be great. i have owned 2 myself. since sold simple for lack of use. but self patterned geometric squares all about, bad.
post #75212 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Haha, it's fine. I definitely agree with you on the green repp-ish tie. It's like CD's green jacket. I just need to figure out a way to use it because I like it in-spite of it's gaudy-ness.

I wish yellow wasn't a SF-unapproved color :/

you could use it for a headband while playing irish cops and robbers!
post #75213 of 78717

I wonder how long it will be till everything goes full circle and those ties are SF fashionable again...

post #75214 of 78717
I would like to clarify that my meaning was don't post if you are not interested in constructive criticism. I like loud, and I know many can appreciate it. Though, I will say that I see "that tie/PS/shirt doesn't work," more often than "I would try that tie with blank and blank." Not an all encompassing statement, but something I've noticed, anecdotally.
post #75215 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFV View Post

Hmm, I thought the 1st one I posted looked matte. I believe some of SF:s more dandified posters could pull it off. Lets agree to disagree. I'd like to see pB slaughtering Stitchy's list now. I believe my Etro tie wouldn't make his cut.

did not look matte to me. either way, it was certainly loud and pastel-ey and that alone killed it for me. perhaps gianni could do it, but i think his ties have a different bold and vintage quality that together with his vibe are able to work.

in any case, we can disagree, and the point of the post was for me, much greater than any specific tie or two that were in the list, good or bad, as im sure there are some that did not like some of the good ties either.

pB list would have zero ties in it. everything sucks!
post #75216 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheGroom View Post

I would like to clarify that my meaning was don't post if you are not interested in constructive criticism. I like loud, and I know many can appreciate it. Though, I will say that I see "that tie/PS/shirt doesn't work," more often than "I would try that tie with blank and blank." Not an all encompassing statement, but something I've noticed, anecdotally.


I think it's easy for people to forget that both SF-SWD and SF-CM have a specific aesthetic in mind. If you were to go to AAAC or other forums with certain fits, they might love them there, but that isn't the ideal that SF aspires to.


That's all from me on this. I'm more interested in seeing what others have to say.


 

ANDDDD (Click to show)
Titsworth paid me to shut up.
post #75217 of 78717
Stitchy, I absolutely got what you were after and I agree with the point you're making. It wouldn't be proper WAYWRN form if it didn't spark at least one discussion that's off track though.
post #75218 of 78717
I just caught up on the thread and I see a recurrent theme in the posts of those who feel slighted or highlighted, and that is: "okay, I wont post when im wearing that," which is very different to: "ok, I'll think over my tie collection and see what I can do"
The first is an openness to learn, the second is akin to your wife telling you she doesnt like you watching porn, when she catches you in the act, and you responding with "ok, I'll do it when you arent around"
That might be the truth, but it wont win you any points.
I dont believe Stitch or L2BR are saying, dont post those ties, they are saying, dont wear those ties. If you think those ties have merit and are okay to wear, defend them.
post #75219 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFV View Post

Stitchy, I absolutely got what you were after and I agree with the point you're making. It wouldn't be proper WAYWRN form if it didn't spark at least one discussion that's off track though.

cheers.gif

I'm glad you were the one to make sure that SF ways were adhered to.
post #75220 of 78717
SJ - In the spirit of what I truly believe to be a well-dressed man perhaps I mean that, however, far be it for me to tell people what to or not to wear.
post #75221 of 78717
Well, I've only been here for 3 years this month (still relatively noob-ish), but some things are catching on.
post #75222 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

I think it's easy for people to forget that both SF-SWD and SF-CM have a specific aesthetic in mind. If you were to go to AAAC or other forums with certain fits, they might love them there, but that isn't the ideal that SF aspires to.

A friend of mine posted a picture of Tim Gunn on my facebook page. When I told her what I thought of his outfit, she was outraged. How dared I criticize the host of whatever fashion show he's hosting and the head designer of Liz Claiborne!

Well, really, he dresses like shit. Or does he? Probably not, according to AAAC.

What makes someone dress well?

1. Skill, knowledge. You have to know how things should fit you. What flatters your figure and what doesn't. Most of us here agree on that.
2. Knowing your rules and history. That's where some of us tend to disagree. But, just like in art, a creative person not only breaks the rules, he masters them first. One may have no idea about the rules of men's clothing, yet attempt to create his own style. He will fail miserably, because he makes no historical and cultural associations. Without the experiences of amazing dressers from the past or present, without their rules we lose our ties to the culture we're dressing for. Yet, once we learn the rules, we may be bold in our decisions to break them. Tastefully. And thus, create new rules and new art. We will be able to show something that everyone had seen before in a new light. That's why MaoMao's fit from a few pages back is beautiful and some questionable pictures from the last pages are, frankly, crap.
post #75223 of 78717

Yeah, to be totally honest I don't know that much about the country vs city stuff, which is why I shut up and listen when people talk about that in general. I've also stopped trying to defend most of my pairings and such, because that's stuff I can learn from. The collar thing is still 'meh' to me though I understand that there's a reason why people like spread collars as they do look THAT much better.

 

I wasn't criticizing what people here say or saying that the poster would fit in better somewhere else, I mean, I'm sure there are forums where people in Polo T shirts and jeans and penny loafers are the pinnacle of high fashion. This is not one of those places.

I was simply saying that there are certain aesthetic frame of references that these forums tend to have and that was that.

 

I agree with everything you said though and have unfortunately been on the crap end of the spectrum a bit much and am working to change that. Everything is a process. I wasn't kidding when I replied to stitch a few weeks ago and said that resistance was futile.

 

If someone has a resource for the country vs city etc thing, I'd love to read it.

post #75224 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFV View Post

Well, I've only been here for 3 years this month (still relatively noob-ish), but some things are catching on.

For what it's worth, you are one of the people I had in mind when I said we still have a number of new-ish knowledgeable posters who dress very well.

smile.gif
post #75225 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJen View Post

I just caught up on the thread and I see a recurrent theme in the posts of those who feel slighted or highlighted, and that is: "okay, I wont post when im wearing that," which is very different to: "ok, I'll think over my tie collection and see what I can do"
The first is an openness to learn, the second is akin to your wife telling you she doesnt like you watching porn, when she catches you in the act, and you responding with "ok, I'll do it when you arent around"
That might be the truth, but it wont win you any points.
I dont believe Stitch or L2BR are saying, dont post those ties, they are saying, dont wear those ties. If you think those ties have merit and are okay to wear, defend them.

Well stated. Also, don't act surprised or hurt when you get called out for wearing those ties. And don't waste your breath grousing about the limitations of the SF aesthetic. It is what it is so either A) accept it and try to work within its framework or figure out how to successfully navigate its outer limits, B) be prepared to take some heat when you post up your non-approved "unique inspirations" or C) find somewhere else you feel might be more accepting of Your Freewheeling Style ©.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III