i dont like the jacket either, but its not busy at all. its plain jane green, i just dont like it. no h8 CD.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:01 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 10/5/16 at 11:38pm in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 5004post #75046 of 787174/10/14 at 1:15pmpost #75047 of 787174/10/14 at 1:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by Cotton Dockers
Thanks for the thumbs yesterday, really appreciate it.
Well, @tchoy rejected by green jacket challenge idea, but I thought I would break this one out anyway seeing as The Masters starts today:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I eschewed a tie today as I don't normally wear one on Thursdays, but does anyone have any thoughts as to what tie (if any) would work with this getup?
That's a tough one. Pink, royal/light blue come to mind, but might be hard to pull off with the blue shirt and probably wouldn't be ideal. Maybe a brown or burnt orange knit?post #75048 of 787174/10/14 at 1:18pmpost #75049 of 787174/10/14 at 1:27pmpost #75050 of 787174/10/14 at 1:31pmpost #75051 of 787174/10/14 at 1:38pmQuote:Originally Posted by YRR92
You're moving in a nice direction, but you got some details that aren't quite coherent with each other. The suit and shirt are nice. But then, the tie and square come in. How conservative/formal is this outfit? The suit makes me want to say "extremely." The wool tie, silk square, and sports watch, on the other hand, are each about as casual as a tie, hank, and watch can get, so I want to say "casual." I don't really know which it is.
I admit to a bias against half-windsor knots, but why tie a very relaxed tie in one? Similarly, why wear a very relaxed (slightly unseasonable) tie with a very businesslike suit? I know why I would do that: wanting to be a little more relaxed than the suit is. I understand that. Personally, I am not as serious as that suit, and you may not be either.
Adding some things that are a bit dégagé, like a casual tie and a sports watch, does not make the suit any more relaxed, and it doesn't make the outfit overall any more relaxed. In fact, you might come across as more laid-back if you hand worn, say, a white linen square (or no square) and a dark silk tie, because it would create a coherent, "effortless" whole. Instead, the combination feels a bit labored, an impression which is compounded by the half-windsor knot (sorry, they're too uptight for me), and the folded silk hank (always puff silk).
If you look at people who successfully mix various levels of formality, they rarely mix extremes -- or if they are mixing extremes, their overall goal is to create something outrageous.
All that said, I like your glasses frames, and I do like every item of clothing here separately. You have a nice eye for individual items of clothing. I also think that square and that tie could play well together in the right context.
EDIT: DaDudeson, I don't "get" the 'stache, but I see you out there doing your thing and I feel that.
The tie and jacket sing together (and I would steal either in a heartbeat) but the shirt is wrong. It's not a genre of shirt that SF likes, for one thing. For another, I don't think it's a great example of the breed (sorry, it just doesn't speak to me). More importantly, it doesn't belong with an odd jacket. Maybe with a navy blazer, but it's really more at home with a business suit. I'm also not sure about the square, but I think there are two-and-a-half kinds of okay square:
1. White linen.
2. Printed silk in a puff.
2.5 Solid cream silk (kind of okay).
Thank you YRR92 for the comments. I agree with everything you've said and I really should've worn a silk tie and white PS.
My office at times is very business casual and I do find myself as the only one usually wearing suits, so at times, to my detriment I've tried to make my look more casual by inserting certain casual elements.
I will admit I need to acquire more formal watches and as for the tie knot, these suit supply ties really make for iffy FIH or even DFIH so the half windor was the only knot that actually looked as it should. They are not my favorite but had to make do.
Thank you for the honest critique and I will continue to fine tune my direction of coherent fits.post #75052 of 787174/10/14 at 1:39pmpost #75053 of 787174/10/14 at 1:40pmpost #75054 of 787174/10/14 at 1:43pmpost #75055 of 787174/10/14 at 1:45pmpost #75056 of 787174/10/14 at 1:46pmQuote:
There are a few places to get fun, casual, cotton pocket squares in vibrant colours, and interesting patterns, for under $20. I'm sure the quality is less than one that costs £50, but I think for a less versatile item, that's as much a whim, as anything, going for the inexpensive option is probably a good way to go.post #75057 of 787174/10/14 at 1:50pmpost #75058 of 787174/10/14 at 1:51pmpost #75059 of 787174/10/14 at 1:52pmQuote:Originally Posted by ImTheGroom
There are a few places to get fun, casual, cotton pocket squares in vibrant colours, and interesting patterns, for under $20. I'm sure the quality is less than one that costs £50, but I think for a less versatile item, that's as much a whim, as anything, going for the inexpensive option is probably a good way to go.
Where are these places?post #75060 of 787174/10/14 at 1:52pm
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 36 seconds ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 1 minute ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Fashion Week Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread 7 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 8 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 9 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 9 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...