Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:12 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4998post #74956 of 787174/9/14 at 10:30pmpost #74957 of 787174/9/14 at 11:52pmQuote:Originally Posted by YRR92
Pliny -- I have to admit, I didn't get the anti-gray jacket bias, until it clicked for me that all the ones I know and love are, like, Harris tweed. Patch pockets aren't right for every tweed, and I don't love them on dense patterns like most of what you have. The Sandringham you have there, the brown windowpane, that could look cool with patch pockets, but I wouldn't know what trousers to wear with it.
I think a ticket pocket would do it. You could tuck it in if you wanted it to be stealthy.
the Sandringham (tan w/ blue overcheck) would go with lite wt mid-gray flannels IMO. I'm going to look around for a soft Moonbeam-like navy with a white or ecru box check- SB made a good point about that single thread check on the FrescoQuote:
Manton- in 'How to wear a white shirt' threak 'White is thought to be the perfect background for a variety of ties, a "blank canvas." But this is not so. Many colors look absolutely terrible with white: yellow, orange, rust, lavender, purple, nearly all greens' unquote
.. 'terrible' is Mantonian hyperbole, but I think he has a point - white shirts are formal, so non-classic colors look out of placepost #74958 of 787174/10/14 at 12:11ampost #74959 of 787174/10/14 at 12:19am
I want to form a rap supergroup called "Hegelian Dialectics"
As far as white shirts, make it an oxford cloth, not necessarily BD though that helps, and place it in a casual suit or casual jacket context, and I think it'd work fine. Assuming the purple tie is also as casual.post #74960 of 787174/10/14 at 1:40ampost #74961 of 787174/10/14 at 1:43ampost #74962 of 787174/10/14 at 2:01ampost #74963 of 787174/10/14 at 2:09amQuote:
1) Orphaned jacket can rarely be used as a sports coat. Come to think of it, this could be a good idea for a future Friday Challenge.
2) Garish patterned tie needs sedate everything-else (viz. Clags, St.F 2014:4), perfect width matching to jacket lapels, subtle colour coordination with at least one other element of the fit, and occasionally, fire.
3) Pocket square should complement tie in some difficult-to-pin-down-but-nevertheless-obvious-when-seen way.Quote:
That Bill Blass would be the ideal tie for a world-famous be-bop alto saxophone player. Are you one?Quote:Originally Posted by ImTheGroom
Love the whole thing, @StanleyVanBuren!
Please help me out here. Why do people put an "@" in front of things? Or a "#"? Is this some kind of arcane internet-voodoo technique allowing one, ultimately, to make money?
Also, why does everyone except me have a tumblr? Does anyone actually read anyone else's tumblr? If I made a tumblr, and filled it with "@" and "#" markings, might I get laid?post #74964 of 787174/10/14 at 2:11ampost #74965 of 787174/10/14 at 2:32amQuote:Originally Posted by BriceT1000
You, my friend, are a husky guy even while & after dropping all of the weight (congratulations by the way). It appears to be your natural build so try a 3-button jacket if you haven't already. I highly recommend this. It will bring your visual weight down a bit. I would try a little bit wider (not too wide) tie with a prince albert knot (double 4-in-hand). This is personal but I think some here may agree that there is very limited circumstances where a windsor knot is necessary and if you find yourself in one, wear a bow tie instead. I am sort of an anti-windsor. Also, with all of the lavenders and blues, don't confuse colors with character. You can only look sharp in more vibrant pattern/color combos if you have built your competence with the basics.
If you don't have a big budget the best favor you can do for yourself is to find some items that are flattering and fit nicely, then have a good tailor take care of the rest for you. I am not sure about where you are located but I know that here in Denver there is a shop or two that specializes in carry luxury menswear that is secondhand for great prices. I am talking Isaia, Zegna, Versace etc. Try to snoop out a shop like this in your area if you aren't comfortable with Ebay or cruise our for sale forums.
Yes I am a stocky guy, I always struggle with getting jackets that fit due to being 5'10'' but very broad. I figured that 2 buttons would be better for my height buy will try some 3 button and see how they look.
I live in rural southern scotland so access to shops and tailors are somewhat limited. On the other hand 6 of the maybe 20 shops in the village are woollen mills that selo Harris Tweed and cashmere.post #74966 of 787174/10/14 at 2:33am
@Gianni Cerutti, that's completely insane, but somehow it works for you! The jacket is beautifully cut and the tie is extraordinary. I would say that the pocket square is perhaps a little too close in colour to the tie (if it's possible to make any comments about colour here...). Is your tie on Viagra BTW?post #74967 of 787174/10/14 at 2:45amYou mean when it's not about other important stuff like how great Texas is, or how tall certain posters are?Quote:Originally Posted by Claghorn
Point me in their direction and I will . Though that may be a fair point on all solids + crazy shirt. Still, it wouldn't be a look for the faint of heart. Or someone still getting the feeling for classic menswear.
Dressing well, understanding what looks good, being able to make marketable clothing, and being able to make clothing which look good are four different talents. In your case, there is a tremendous amount of overlap. For a variety of reasons, this isn't true for a lot of folks out there.
re: the other conversation going on here.
Guys, this thread isn't Help Me Dress 101. Not a huge deal for a post or two, but this has been going on for a couple of pages. This thread benefits when it is nice and image heavy with solid analysis in between. Not bickering over early 90's "fun" ties.post #74968 of 787174/10/14 at 3:40ampost #74969 of 787174/10/14 at 3:56ampost #74970 of 787174/10/14 at 4:13am
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 4 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 7 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 11 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 17 minutes ago
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 19 minutes ago
- › MTM Suits - EliteSuits 21 minutes ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 23 minutes ago
- › A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions. 24 minutes ago
- › I'm getting my first MTM suit made and I'm wondering if my tailor... 24 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding