Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Is this style suitable for 30 years old men who wants to look like fun. Last post on 8/26/13 at 9:34am in Classic Menswear
What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4998post #74956 of 787234/9/14 at 8:51pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #74957 of 787234/9/14 at 8:52pmpost #74958 of 787234/9/14 at 8:55pmpost #74959 of 787234/9/14 at 9:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by theberg510
Right ok. As I'm sure you can tell I am knew to this. I work in a hotel so do not want to spend a lot of money when the likelihood is my clothes will get ruined by food or drink or hard use. However, I'm bored with the black suit/white shirt/solid coloured tie every day. I have been looking on here for inspiration but without the feedback and reasons why and how you gents put your outfits together I would just continue blundering along throwing in a pocket square etc. and I believe that things should be done properly so thank you all for your input and many apologies for my rambling.
You, my friend, are a husky guy even while & after dropping all of the weight (congratulations by the way). It appears to be your natural build so try a 3-button jacket if you haven't already. I highly recommend this. It will bring your visual weight down a bit. I would try a little bit wider (not too wide) tie with a prince albert knot (double 4-in-hand). This is personal but I think some here may agree that there is very limited circumstances where a windsor knot is necessary and if you find yourself in one, wear a bow tie instead. I am sort of an anti-windsor. Also, with all of the lavenders and blues, don't confuse colors with character. You can only look sharp in more vibrant pattern/color combos if you have built your competence with the basics.
If you don't have a big budget the best favor you can do for yourself is to find some items that are flattering and fit nicely, then have a good tailor take care of the rest for you. I am not sure about where you are located but I know that here in Denver there is a shop or two that specializes in carry luxury menswear that is secondhand for great prices. I am talking Isaia, Zegna, Versace etc. Try to snoop out a shop like this in your area if you aren't comfortable with Ebay or cruise our for sale forums.post #74960 of 787234/9/14 at 9:37pmQuote:
They never do this. My shirts are flawless. Everywhere I go, people tell me how wonderfully my collars close. That lighting is creating shadows which exaggerate the overlap effect. If I had better lighting and a better camera, you'd be able to see how top notch my collars are. But I have better things to do than set up a dslr and tripod to take a picture.
Anyway, it's pretty awesome; they are fantastic. Perhaps you have flies in your eyes.post #74961 of 787234/9/14 at 10:20pmpost #74962 of 787234/9/14 at 10:30pmpost #74963 of 787234/9/14 at 11:52pmQuote:Originally Posted by YRR92
Pliny -- I have to admit, I didn't get the anti-gray jacket bias, until it clicked for me that all the ones I know and love are, like, Harris tweed. Patch pockets aren't right for every tweed, and I don't love them on dense patterns like most of what you have. The Sandringham you have there, the brown windowpane, that could look cool with patch pockets, but I wouldn't know what trousers to wear with it.
I think a ticket pocket would do it. You could tuck it in if you wanted it to be stealthy.
the Sandringham (tan w/ blue overcheck) would go with lite wt mid-gray flannels IMO. I'm going to look around for a soft Moonbeam-like navy with a white or ecru box check- SB made a good point about that single thread check on the FrescoQuote:
Manton- in 'How to wear a white shirt' threak 'White is thought to be the perfect background for a variety of ties, a "blank canvas." But this is not so. Many colors look absolutely terrible with white: yellow, orange, rust, lavender, purple, nearly all greens' unquote
.. 'terrible' is Mantonian hyperbole, but I think he has a point - white shirts are formal, so non-classic colors look out of placepost #74964 of 787234/10/14 at 12:11ampost #74965 of 787234/10/14 at 12:19am
I want to form a rap supergroup called "Hegelian Dialectics"
As far as white shirts, make it an oxford cloth, not necessarily BD though that helps, and place it in a casual suit or casual jacket context, and I think it'd work fine. Assuming the purple tie is also as casual.post #74966 of 787234/10/14 at 1:40ampost #74967 of 787234/10/14 at 1:43ampost #74968 of 787234/10/14 at 2:01ampost #74969 of 787234/10/14 at 2:09amQuote:
1) Orphaned jacket can rarely be used as a sports coat. Come to think of it, this could be a good idea for a future Friday Challenge.
2) Garish patterned tie needs sedate everything-else (viz. Clags, St.F 2014:4), perfect width matching to jacket lapels, subtle colour coordination with at least one other element of the fit, and occasionally, fire.
3) Pocket square should complement tie in some difficult-to-pin-down-but-nevertheless-obvious-when-seen way.Quote:
That Bill Blass would be the ideal tie for a world-famous be-bop alto saxophone player. Are you one?Quote:Originally Posted by ImTheGroom
Love the whole thing, @StanleyVanBuren!
Please help me out here. Why do people put an "@" in front of things? Or a "#"? Is this some kind of arcane internet-voodoo technique allowing one, ultimately, to make money?
Also, why does everyone except me have a tumblr? Does anyone actually read anyone else's tumblr? If I made a tumblr, and filled it with "@" and "#" markings, might I get laid?
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 23 seconds ago
- › Australian Members 3 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 minutes ago
- › Best pizza in NYC? 4 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 4 minutes ago
- › Free en vivo!!! NFL Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs Atlanta Falcons Live... 8 minutes ago
- › Direct NFL: Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs Atlanta Falcons Live Stream... 8 minutes ago
- › Watch NFL Live Stream NFL Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs Atlanta Falcons... 9 minutes ago
- › Watch Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs Atlanta Falcons Live Football Video... 9 minutes ago
- › ~!@FOX LIVE@!~Tampa Bay Lightning vs Florida Panthers Live... 9 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)