Well, should I be trying to win your business, or be invited to dinner at your house, I will wear a burgundy tie, with dots, or stripes.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:03 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4997post #74941 of 787194/9/14 at 8:11pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #74942 of 787194/9/14 at 8:11pmQuote:
Point me in their direction and I will . Though that may be a fair point on all solids + crazy shirt. Still, it wouldn't be a look for the faint of heart. Or someone still getting the feeling for classic menswear.
Dressing well, understanding what looks good, being able to make marketable clothing, and being able to make clothing which look good are four different talents. In your case, there is a tremendous amount of overlap. For a variety of reasons, this isn't true for a lot of folks out there.
re: the other conversation going on here.
Guys, this thread isn't Help Me Dress 101. Not a huge deal for a post or two, but this has been going on for a couple of pages. This thread benefits when it is nice and image heavy with solid analysis in between. Not bickering over early 90's "fun" ties.post #74943 of 787194/9/14 at 8:11pmpost #74944 of 787194/9/14 at 8:14pm
Pliny -- I have to admit, I didn't get the anti-gray jacket bias, until it clicked for me that all the ones I know and love are, like, Harris tweed. Patch pockets aren't right for every tweed, and I don't love them on dense patterns like most of what you have. The Sandringham you have there, the brown windowpane, that could look cool with patch pockets, but I wouldn't know what trousers to wear with it.
I think a ticket pocket would do it. You could tuck it in if you wanted it to be stealthy.post #74945 of 787194/9/14 at 8:17pmpost #74946 of 787194/9/14 at 8:18pmQuote:
should either of those happen, you will not be judged by your tie. but in here, you will be. weird right?
side bar, there is crazy that is ugly and crazy that is not ugly. that is important to know.post #74947 of 787194/9/14 at 8:25pmpost #74948 of 787194/9/14 at 8:39pm
ITG thinks they aren't ugly. Everyone else disagrees. This is what the last two (three) pages has been about, right? Having summed all that up, let's apply what NickP said about wearing bold shirts to wearing less than sedate ties(if you missed it due to being apoplectic about garish ties/someone criticizing your garish ties, it was that the British will often wear shirts we'd consider inappropriate for a tie in an all solid context). If a tie is ugly, it's ugly. It can be bold and ugly and sedate and ugly. But if you want to make a loud tie look alright, the safest course is probably to make everything else as sedate as possible.
I'm wearing one of my louder ties today. It's a fairly boring fit overall; I doubt there is a poster here who leans so heavily on navy jackets and gray pants, but they are easy and they allow me to explore my extensive tie collection without worry. Because it's loud, I made sure everything else was very low key.
Pantapost #74949 of 787194/9/14 at 8:45pmpost #74950 of 787194/9/14 at 8:48pmpost #74951 of 787194/9/14 at 8:49pmpost #74952 of 787194/9/14 at 8:51pmpost #74953 of 787194/9/14 at 8:52pmpost #74954 of 787194/9/14 at 8:55pmpost #74955 of 787194/9/14 at 9:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by theberg510
Right ok. As I'm sure you can tell I am knew to this. I work in a hotel so do not want to spend a lot of money when the likelihood is my clothes will get ruined by food or drink or hard use. However, I'm bored with the black suit/white shirt/solid coloured tie every day. I have been looking on here for inspiration but without the feedback and reasons why and how you gents put your outfits together I would just continue blundering along throwing in a pocket square etc. and I believe that things should be done properly so thank you all for your input and many apologies for my rambling.
You, my friend, are a husky guy even while & after dropping all of the weight (congratulations by the way). It appears to be your natural build so try a 3-button jacket if you haven't already. I highly recommend this. It will bring your visual weight down a bit. I would try a little bit wider (not too wide) tie with a prince albert knot (double 4-in-hand). This is personal but I think some here may agree that there is very limited circumstances where a windsor knot is necessary and if you find yourself in one, wear a bow tie instead. I am sort of an anti-windsor. Also, with all of the lavenders and blues, don't confuse colors with character. You can only look sharp in more vibrant pattern/color combos if you have built your competence with the basics.
If you don't have a big budget the best favor you can do for yourself is to find some items that are flattering and fit nicely, then have a good tailor take care of the rest for you. I am not sure about where you are located but I know that here in Denver there is a shop or two that specializes in carry luxury menswear that is secondhand for great prices. I am talking Isaia, Zegna, Versace etc. Try to snoop out a shop like this in your area if you aren't comfortable with Ebay or cruise our for sale forums.
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › things that are making you happy 1 minute ago
- › *** Official Norwegian Rain Bergen by T Michael Thread ******** -... 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 minutes ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 4 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 6 minutes ago
- › 2016 50 Book Challenge 10 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 12 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...