SB, I like the overcheck, pink shirt, and red PS all picking each other up.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:08 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 10/5/16 at 11:38pm in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4946post #74176 of 787174/1/14 at 6:33pmpost #74177 of 787174/1/14 at 6:54pmpost #74178 of 787174/1/14 at 7:20pmpost #74179 of 787174/1/14 at 7:44pmpost #74180 of 787174/1/14 at 8:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by ridethecliche
If they sold this guy as an SC, I would be OH SO ON IT!
(Yes, even this cheapskate can make an exception from time to time.)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
hell no. that pattern is much better as a full suit than a SC. ask terror squad and braddock.post #74181 of 787174/1/14 at 8:26pm
I don't wear suits though. Those pants alone would be pretty hard to pair with an SC.Quote:
The napoli is also a drop 6. If I got a 40R suit, I'd have pants 3 sizes too big...post #74182 of 787174/1/14 at 8:39pmQuote:
That's what tailors are for
The Washington is slimmer and a great cut if you don't mind the peak lapels with a 3/2 roll and ticket pocket. I own a Washington suit myself and wear it quite often.post #74183 of 787174/1/14 at 8:48pmQuote:
you can make excuses all day, but that is not a super easy SC either, to have to pair it with a shirt, tie, PS and pants. its best as a suit.
here is a lesson that took me a while to learn, just because its pretty does not mean that its useful.post #74184 of 787174/1/14 at 9:04pmQuote:
I think it'd go well with cream or light grey flannel trousers and brown suede shoes.
And it's not much of an excuse as much as a fact. I really want a windowpane SC and I don't wear suits to work because it would be hella out of place.
Anyway, no point wasting time over hypotheticals.post #74185 of 787174/1/14 at 9:50pmQuote:
We...have...to pair it with a PS? Oh my Stitchy, how you've changed. And beautiful =/= useful is an important lesson indeed.
I think it wouldn't be difficult though, especially with the check being gray. Light cream will work. Several shades of gray will work. I have a number of shirts, ties and squares that would work with that jacket + gray trousers. But then again, my wardrobe is basically built around blue jackets, so I guess it depends on the person and what they already own. The reason that I like that as a jacket and not as a suit is that as a suit, I think I could wear it once a month. As a jacket, probably 2 or 3 times a month.post #74186 of 787174/1/14 at 10:06pm
I do agree that stitches words are wise indeed. Beautiful =/= useful.
Clags, I also have an affinity for blue jackets. Though I really want a rust colored jacket as well. I find that louder things tend to go better with my skin tone (i.e. pastels) so I'm trying to reconcile my love for bright colors while remaining within the realm of tasteful CM. The advantage here is that I have less money than sense, so I have to think and contemplate quite a bit before purchases, meaning that lately I've been buying less and mulling more!post #74187 of 787174/1/14 at 10:30pmQuote:
i didnt say that its impossible to use, i said its not very easy or versatile. you named possible shoes and pants, which may or may not even work, i have not seen them. remember, just because in your mind something works, doesnt mean it will irl. when you are only giving yourself 1 or 2 options, if they dont pan out, you are SOL. and you are still missing the tie, and potentially a PS.
edmorel gave me a kick ass long post of advice a year or so ago when i was getting into kopping mode level infinity, and i wish i had the quote handy. but basically, at a beginners stage, and yes you are a beginner, you should be buying things that go with everything. not things that only go with specific other things, which essentially leaves you with a wardrobe of one fit only items. if you have only 3 SCs and 3 ties and 3 pants, you should be able to wear everything with everything, giving you 3 x 3 x 3 fits (is that math right?). not the same 9 items that leave you with 3 to 5 fits.
that being said, that pattern is a loud and busy pattern, and for a SC, it would be fairly limited. i would not call that a beginners item, imho. try to keep that in mind as you build your wardrobe.
hell, in my wardrobe, 2/3 of all my suits and SCs are solids, as are all my pants, and most of my ties are pretty sedate. im essentially still a beginner with a few outlying "fun" (gasp !) items.Quote:Anyway, no point wasting time over hypotheticals.
oh. well then, lets just shut down styfo!Quote:
lawlz. well, i know he wears PS, so thats why i said that. but yeah, i have turned a corner with that business.Quote:And beautiful =/= useful is an important lesson indeed.
its a bitch to adhere to though. cost me some good money until i locked that one down.Quote:I think it wouldn't be difficult though, especially with the check being gray. Light cream will work. Several shades of gray will work. I have a number of shirts, ties and squares that would work with that jacket + gray trousers. But then again, my wardrobe is basically built around blue jackets, so I guess it depends on the person and what they already own. The reason that I like that as a jacket and not as a suit is that as a suit, I think I could wear it once a month. As a jacket, probably 2 or 3 times a month.
see above part of post plox.
PS - cream pants are not the kind of thing most people will wear very often either, and that suit can be worn 2 times + a month easy, and its better as a suit, and im right, and suck it everyone else.post #74188 of 787174/1/14 at 11:00pmYeah. It isn't right for RTC. But I bet I could work that seamlessly into at least a dozen different fits (and I'm not just talking about changing up the tie). At some point down the line, the same may be true for RTC.
Sticking to my guns about it as a jacket--it's easier as a suit, of course, and looks nicer, but if you wear that more than once a month, it stands out a bit too much in your rotation. I only wear my windowpane suit 2-3 times a year because it very much stands out as THAT suit. Too memorable for its own good. I don't see people here (WAYWRN) repeat their windowpane suits more than twice a season.post #74189 of 787174/1/14 at 11:04pmpost #74190 of 787174/1/14 at 11:20pm
X-post to this week's challenge thread. First outing for this tie and the suit now that I have had the jacket tailored - and the temperatures are unseasonably warm. I think it fits almost perfectly, however the trousers, while almost exactly right in terms of length have enough material left to have at least 1.5" cuffs, so I think I will have them altered...
Pal Zileri Abito Privato lightweight brown with blue pinstripe tropical wool suit
CT Black Label white self-stripe shirt
Conrad Wu Oxford weave French blue triple-striped silk tie
David Andersen mid-century Norwegian sterling silver tie bar
Anonymous vintage handmade Japanese yellow silk square with olive edging
Gaziano & Girling Rothschilds in dark oak (with unseen navy blue socks)
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 9 seconds ago
- › The Look goes on... 24 seconds ago
- › Gucci 26 seconds ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 51 seconds ago
- › Jeeves - Vass shoes and elegant menswear accessories - Official... 1 minute ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 7 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 7 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...