or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4891  

post #73351 of 78723
Yes, even then. In general denim is just too casual for a tie.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I'll see someone in a summery outfit with a casual (knitted) tie and light jeans where the tie doesn't look out of place in a playful kind of way.
Just my opinion though.

There was some discussion on the matter on my native forum, should it interest you.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stijlforum.nl%2FSMF%2Findex.php%2Ftopic%2C8278.0.html
post #73352 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Went to NYC today and an amazing thing happened as I was standing outside of Penn Station.

Random dude comes up to me and says, you're on StyleForum right?

I say yes, I am.

He says, I KNEW IT! I recognized you right away.

Amazaballs!!

Sup, @GM-H !!

Ha! Last week I was in Miami, walking through the hotel lobby and a random girl walked past and said 'what's up President Obama?'

(For the record I am White with blonde hair!) biggrin.gif:D
post #73353 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_machine View Post

criticism/comments welcome. The collar sucks but it's all I have right now. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



Deets (Click to show)
Isaia Suit
BB Slim Shirt
Borrelli tie
unknown pocket square
Barney's house brand shoes
Deets (Click to show)
 

You will not find a bigger advocate for brown ties on this forum than me, but I don't think brown was the right choice for that outfit. In general, it works better with blue shirts, but since that suit suit probably works better with white shirts, it's the tie that should be changed.

post #73354 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crat View Post


I liked that fit a lot until I saw the tie.
Tie & jeans is almost always a no-no for me.

 

Disagree. Nothing wrong with a knit tie (or even some kinds of casual bow ties) and jeans in the right context, and that was the right context. Any more formal kind of tie and sure, I would agree. Does it belong in this thread though? That's another question - it's very much 'casual style' but I certainly don't mind seeing it here.

post #73355 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Went to NYC today and an amazing thing happened as I was standing outside of Penn Station.

Random dude comes up to me and says, you're on StyleForum right?

I say yes, I am.

He says, I KNEW IT! I recognized you right away.

Amazaballs!!

Sup, @GM-H !!

SF Superstar foo.giffoo.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crat View Post

I liked that fit a lot until I saw the tie.
Tie & jeans is almost always a no-no for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crat View Post

Yes, even then. In general denim is just too casual for a tie.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I'll see someone in a summery outfit with a casual (knitted) tie and light jeans where the tie doesn't look out of place in a playful kind of way.
Just my opinion though.

There was some discussion on the matter on my native forum, should it interest you.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stijlforum.nl%2FSMF%2Findex.php%2Ftopic%2C8278.0.html

I'm with you on that; neither fish nor fowl. I'm not even crazy about sport coat & jeans combo, though i suspect i'm in the minority on that. And just for good measure, calf dress shoes and jeans also rubs me the wrong way. Boots, yes, suede of almost any flavor, fine. The worst is jeans + calf bals; it's like a high school kid trying on his father's dress shoes.
post #73356 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_machine View Post

criticism/comments welcome. The collar sucks but it's all I have right now.
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Deets (Click to show)
Isaia Suit
BB Slim Shirt
Borrelli tie
unknown pocket square
Barney's house brand shoes

 

I agree that a brown tie is not the best choice here.  I think that suit is the star, any time you wear it, so stick to a basic navy tie, with a simple pattern.  For some reason I can't picture a solid navy tie working, but I could be wrong.  The suit itself is absolutely great.  Is the bunching on those pants caused by poster, or are they maybe too long?

post #73357 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheGroom View Post

I agree that a brown tie is not the best choice here.  I think that suit is the star, any time you wear it, so stick to a basic navy tie, with a simple pattern.  For some reason I can't picture a solid navy tie working, but I could be wrong.  The suit itself is absolutely great.  Is the bunching on those pants caused by poster, or are they maybe too long?

The fit of the jacket is very good, but the pants appear a bit full at the bottom, and might benefit from the addition of cuffs to impart some weight (if its not too late). The suit pattern is, apparently, fairly typical Isaia in that the scale is kind of in-between: neither bold enough to provide real impact, nor discreet enough to recede from a distance, imparting a kind of checkerboard effect. I know; I have one, albeit in blue, and so did Rudals/Noodles before he returned it to his pals at NM. I don't hate it, but neither do I love it. The jacket fit puts it in the plus column for me though (on second glance, are the sleeves perhaps a touch on the short side?)
post #73358 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL View Post

SF Superstar foo.giffoo.gif

not sure if superstar, but it was pretty neat.
post #73359 of 78723


Most people who get recognized by strangers on the streets of Manhattan did it the easy way, by being mere movie stars or world political figures.

 

Our man in_stitches did it the old fashioned way, the hard way, by working his way up through Style Forum.  :nodding:

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #73360 of 78723

How long does it take to reach said fame?

post #73361 of 78723
Apparently, either 3 years and 5 months, or way too many posts. Hard to say based on the raw data.
post #73362 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL View Post


The fit of the jacket is very good, but the pants appear a bit full at the bottom, and might benefit from the addition of cuffs to impart some weight (if its not too late). The suit pattern is, apparently, fairly typical Isaia in that the scale is kind of in-between: neither bold enough to provide real impact, nor discreet enough to recede from a distance, imparting a kind of checkerboard effect. I know; I have one, albeit in blue, and so did Rudals/Noodles before he returned it to his pals at NM. I don't hate it, but neither do I love it. The jacket fit puts it in the plus column for me though (on second glance, are the sleeves perhaps a touch on the short side?)


Isn't it a bit tight across the waist fastening button? Trou are a tad low. But all in all, looks good. I actually like the brown tie. Not an eyesore, so it's at least acceptable in a good way.


Edited by forbritisheyes - 3/23/14 at 10:01pm
post #73363 of 78723
Thanks for the tips/comments. I agree that the fit is a little off. I got the suit used for really cheap (I'm not really in love with it, kind of an experiment.) It's also not tailored other than letting down the leg an inch.

I think it's the way I was standing that made the pants look bunched in the pics.

I agree that the arm cuffs do need about a half inch added.

It took me a while to pick a non black tie. I was kind of expecting a little flack on the choice. I guess it was a bad choice.

I'm wondering if you guys would look better without a tie?
post #73364 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_machine View Post

Thanks for the tips/comments. I agree that the fit is a little off. I got the suit used for really cheap (I'm not really in love with it, kind of an experiment.) It's also not tailored other than letting down the leg an inch.

I think it's the way I was standing that made the pants look bunched in the pics.

I agree that the arm cuffs do need about a half inch added.

It took me a while to pick a non black tie. I was kind of expecting a little flack on the choice. I guess it was a bad choice.

I'm wondering if you guys would look better without a tie?


I think the tie is fine :]

 

If you let out the coat a bit, it looks fine. It's not "off". Just needs a little tweaking. Off to me would be the shoulders skewed, wrinkles in the back, divots, etc. What is wrong with the collar? you mentioned this in your OP.

post #73365 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crat View Post

I liked that fit a lot until I saw the tie.
Tie & jeans is almost always a no-no for me.

I hear you, and would usually agree. 9 out of 10 times, the difference in formality between jeans & tie is too great to combine them in a congruent way. I'd usually go for a knit tie, which I think works just fine. They're as informal as ties go.

Yesterday I went with a pretty casual wool tie instead. Did it work? Well, I wanted to try it at least, and I kinda liked it.
Edited by EFV - 3/24/14 at 12:32am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III