Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:16 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4833post #72481 of 787173/13/14 at 3:51pmpost #72482 of 787173/13/14 at 4:20pmpost #72483 of 787173/13/14 at 4:26pmpost #72484 of 787173/13/14 at 5:11pmQuote:
What you actually wrote was:
"I Have 3 Blue Blazers, And am yet to wear them with my Brown ties. -And no Gray flannels, that look is for beginners."
Maybe if you knew how to construct a sentence better than a 1st grader, people would know what you were trying to say. They'd think you're still wrong, and fairly stupid, but they'd at least know what you meant to say.post #72485 of 787173/13/14 at 5:18pm
Up here we have to be harsh on our least adaptable children, or they never learn to survive in these inhospitable parts. Tough love, eh.
This have me a cathartic guffaw, as I wait for potatoes to boil. Well worthy of reposting.post #72486 of 787173/13/14 at 5:29pmpost #72487 of 787173/13/14 at 5:32pmIf something looks good, it looks good. That's the only criterion of any importance. Doesn't matter how you got there, whether by a staple look of blue, gray, and brown (which 38r goes to great pains, unsolicited, to ensure everyone knows that he dislikes) or a complex TTO or AAS pattern extravaganza.
This does bring up an interesting point: how much does...or should...the difficulty of an attempt matter?
I'm tempted to say little to none, and it matters even less outside of SF. I think that the aesthetic appreciation of clothing is only marginally an intellectual exercise, whereas appreciating difficulty is definitely an intellectual endeavour.
One is not better dressed than another simply because he wears outfits that are more challenging to make work. He is better dressed only if he looks like he's dressed better.
On the blue-gray-brown note: I love it, clearly. It allows for a subtle exploration of texture and hue. It may be a very common look on SF, but I rarely see it in real life. Hell, it's rare enough for me to see someone do a decent job with an odd jacket and trou.post #72488 of 787173/13/14 at 5:37pmLess is more, in my opinion. I like fits and looks that seemed effortless. Too many patterns and layering and it screams "trying too hard" to me and so that alone is off putting - there are definitely fit pics I totally skip over on a regular basis because of stuff like that, but to each their own. It's subjective for sure.
While on some level I can appreciate what goes into making a difficult look be successful, I still don't care for that length of thought and planning.post #72489 of 787173/13/14 at 5:46pmpost #72490 of 787173/13/14 at 5:50pmpost #72491 of 787173/13/14 at 5:54pmpost #72492 of 787173/13/14 at 6:06pmQuote:
Thank you Sir. I have a fondness for the Edwardian Collar, and Edwardian Sartorial influences in general. The collar is rather quaint, but it does accent the lines of the fedora brim quite well.post #72493 of 787173/13/14 at 6:38pmpost #72494 of 787173/13/14 at 6:51pmQuote:
this FC is bringing out hella quality.Quote:Originally Posted by clarinetplayer
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
very nice, though i am pretty sure it goes in the pocket!post #72495 of 787173/13/14 at 6:53pmQuote:
this. though someone like foo might say that what another thinks looks good, is actually not good, they just dont realize it. i think he takes that too far, but there is truth in there. sometimes our eyes need training as to what is in fact good.
and of course, there will always be things that appeal to one person and not another, and neither is objectively wrong.Quote:This does bring up an interesting point: how much does...or should...the difficulty of an attempt matter?
does not matter at all. a fit is either successful, a failure, or run of the mill. perhaps a very difficult look deservedly gets extra appreciation when successful, simply because it was an end difficult to reach, but 2 fits, one classic, one complex, both excellent, are equally good to me.
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
Currently, there are 1221 Active Users (198 Members and 1023 Guests)
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 40 seconds ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 1 minute ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 6 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 7 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 10 minutes ago
- › Official MMA thread (UFC, Bellator, and whatever else - training,... 11 minutes ago
- › WANT: RLBL, RLPL Staple Suits / Blazers in 40R / New or Like New 13 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 17 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 29 minutes ago
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding