or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4728  

post #70906 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Create a thread and see if anyone participates. It's really the only way to find out.

Relatedly, is there a way to see thumbs on the mobile version of the site?

J
post #70907 of 78717
Not to my knowledge, no.
post #70908 of 78717

Thanks for the thumbs, and the thoughts on POW shirts. Maybe I'll try it with a solid SC next time and see what happens.

 

New tweed jacket today:

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

 

Details... (Click to show)

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

 
Polo
JPress
JPress
ConradWu
Incotex
AE
post #70909 of 78717

Sleeves too short?

post #70910 of 78717
j011yroger:
scroll down to the bottom of the page. There you'll find a choice between mobile & desktop. To see thumbs you chose desktop.
post #70911 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by J011yroger View Post


That makes sense, I always button a jacket when standing unless I am wearing a sweater or vest.

Your looks are generally pretty casual, so I can see you going unbuttoned, but still trying to hold everything in place on a casual or country fit seems at odds.

Thanks for the answer though, it's always good to see more perspective.

J


Many of the best-dressed men I know, online and IRL, tend to wear tie bars -- and I wouldn't have known had they not told me. I have one coworker who's almost always in some kind of odd vest, but who ensures a dramatically arched tie with a tie bar.

 

I agree, PoW shirts are cool in a casual way -- like a super refined tartan.

post #70912 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post


Many of the best-dressed men I know, online and IRL, tend to wear tie bars -- and I wouldn't have known had they not told me. I have one coworker who's almost always in some kind of odd vest, but who ensures a dramatically arched tie with a tie bar.

I agree, PoW shirts are cool in a casual way -- like a super refined tartan.

Glad I asked, learn something every day.

What do you do, arch the tie with your fingers, then clamp the bar on so the extra material keeps pushing up maintaining the arch?

I'll give it a shot, anything I can do to help, I am willing to try.

Thought I certainly am not expecting Spoo-like tie wizardry; my dimples look like crap half the time.

J
post #70913 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by J011yroger View Post


I agree that his is too high, but if yours is not seen when the jacket is on, what is the point? Isn't the bar to secure the tie, and if your jacket being buttoned over it already secures it at that point, the bar would be as redundant as wearing one with a 3 piece suit.

J

 

 

I think it's too high too. I usually wear mine just above the fourth button (including collar) which leaves it slightly visible when my jacket is buttoned.

 

I must admit I've been wearing mine nine times out of ten since I got it. Not only do I find the item decorative by itself, but I also use it to give my tie an inch of slack and lift it up a bit so  the knot stands out a little and the whole tie looks less flat, more three dimensional. For this reason I also tend to wear a tie bar with a vest, I just keep it invisible because I'm aware of it's redundancy.

And then of course there is the functional aspect of it that I really like as someone who wears (or wore) a lot of bow ties and has become very accustomed to not having a flap of fabric waving around. Though I a keep my jacket buttoned when standing, I do take it off at work or open it up when I'm sitting...

post #70914 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post

I'm starting to hear the death rattle in the good taste thread (since they are starting to talk about death explicitly). Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
One issue was distinguishing that thread from the WAYWRN thread here. So it occurred to me that there might be an idea for a new good taste thread that involves currently active SF members (the old guard can chime in). The thread would be something inspired by fits here where those fits meet some minimal "good" condition (e.g. based on thumbs). This would depend on folks reposting their fits when it meets with some subjective acclaim in the thread whereupon others in the second thread then can discuss more fine details. We do it occasionally, but to have a devoted thread, fed by judiciously chosen posts from here, where critiques can still be made might be instructive. Few fits are perfect, and even with a great fit, there are alternatives that might be of interest.
The point is a thread to discuss things (we do this here, but not a place for really active discussion).
What say you? I think some subset of the main posters like Pingson, Stitches, Claghorn, Cleav, Mimo, CP and several others would have to take the lead (they'd have some authority to get it started). I'd like to see more of this in SF.

i think this is a great idea personally.

i have a rant inside me that is close to coming out, and your post reminded me of it, but i shall leave well enough alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Create a thread and see if anyone participates. It's really the only way to find out.

this. and if you do, please link it here and i will do my best to actively participate.
post #70915 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by J011yroger View Post


Glad I asked, learn something every day.

What do you do, arch the tie with your fingers, then clamp the bar on so the extra material keeps pushing up maintaining the arch?

I'll give it a shot, anything I can do to help, I am willing to try.

Thought I certainly am not expecting Spoo-like tie wizardry; my dimples look like crap half the time.

J


I don't do it myself -- I don't wear wide spread collars, but I've been advised online that one element is pulling the front blade through the knot at a 90 degree angle to the torso, then clipping it to the shirt a little high. I think it's important to get the knot pointing in the right direction.

 

I've always thought of it as very Paul Stuart, especially since the gent I know who really rocks it goes for that kind of look.

 

post #70916 of 78717

Was itching to wear winter whites today...

 

 

post #70917 of 78717
Nice jacket
post #70918 of 78717

Kind of a mediocre day, for more reasons than just clothing. Oh well, tomorrow's a brand new day and all that jazz...

 

... mind you, there was one bright point - for my wardrobe though not my bank balance - which was ordering a bespoke pair of summer trousers from Ede & Ravenscroft in a sort of butterscotch/tan/yellow sand sort of colour (H&S Target Gabardine book, the very first fabric in it). Extravagantly expensive, but they'll go with every odd summer jacket I own so I figure I can justify it to myself, especially since RTW & MTM trousers never fit me right.

 

eO7BSk4.jpg

post #70919 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post


I don't do it myself -- I don't wear wide spread collars, but I've been advised online that one element is pulling the front blade through the knot at a 90 degree angle to the torso, then clipping it to the shirt a little high. I think it's important to get the knot pointing in the right direction.

I've always thought of it as very Paul Stuart, especially since the gent I know who really rocks it goes for that kind of look.

Cool, I'll experiment.

J
post #70920 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
 

There seems to be a bit of paranoia here regarding striped shirts these days, which I suspect is partly fallout from a recent exchange on the so-called “Good Taste” thread.  [...]

 

Ahem.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

 

 

Stripe-o-phobes should avert their eyes:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III