Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Is this style suitable for 30 years old men who wants to look like fun. Last post on 8/26/13 at 9:34am in Classic Menswear
What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4715post #70711 of 787242/14/14 at 2:24pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #70712 of 787242/14/14 at 2:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by luv2breformed
This is the second time I have heard this criticism of Stichy matching his tie to his shoes, and I don't get it. Sometimes I like reducing the number of new colors in a fit, and as long as the typical faux-pas are not matching then I see nothing wrong with it and in fact think it looks sharp.
In that other case it was me, and it was more because both were very bright and matching, rather than the matching on its own, Don't see any issue here and I also said recently that browns suit Stitchy. The only problem is that it's way too tasteful and restrained to be properly FU (this was also an entry for the challenge)!post #70713 of 787242/14/14 at 3:33pmpost #70714 of 787242/14/14 at 4:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by Holdfast
Worth highlighting; really nice colours here. Would love a pattern of some sort on that tie in this context though!
Matching tie too closely to shoes is kind of wonky for exactly the same reason as matching tie to square: it causes your eyes to jump sharply from tie to shoes and back again like a ball stuck between two bouncers on a pinball table.
The exception is a genuinely monochrome look where sharp contrasts tend to be the name of the game; because you have more than one such "pair" of matches in the look, the eye jumps around cleanly between all of them. But in this context, the number of colours is VERY stripped down.
This is controversial, but IMO I do actually believe that this bit of personal aesthetic preference has some biological/physiological substrate to back it up. We tend to absorb a look through saccadic (sharp/fast/jerky) eye movements rather than smoothly moving from one point to another. Most of these tend to be concentrated around the nose/eyes/lips, but then they bounce around between points of interest in our visual environment. I reckon that two very matching items flag up as things to bounce around between more. I'm not so deeply immersed in the neurophys literature to know if that's been proven, but that's my theory anyway.
post #70715 of 787242/14/14 at 7:33pmpost #70716 of 787242/14/14 at 10:53pmpost #70717 of 787242/14/14 at 11:17pmpost #70718 of 787242/14/14 at 11:23pmpost #70719 of 787242/15/14 at 1:21ampost #70720 of 787242/15/14 at 1:34ampost #70721 of 787242/15/14 at 3:23ampost #70722 of 787242/15/14 at 5:30ampost #70723 of 787242/15/14 at 5:50ampost #70724 of 787242/15/14 at 8:13am
- is there science on this Holdo? Not saying i don't believe you, just curious. Flusser says similar + that the eye gets disorientated when it see two similar sized adjacent patterns, but I've wondered whether this is a physiological fact or a cultural thing.
- you're talking bewbs here rite?
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Australian Members 1 minute ago
- › Fantasy Football League - Stylish Gentlemen is reborn - English... 11 minutes ago
- › Paul Smith jeans, NWT 12 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 17 minutes ago
- › Warning for Robinson's Shoes 20 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 22 minutes ago
- › Unipair - Gentlemen's Shoe Boutique - Official Affiliate Thread 24 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoe P0rn. 25 minutes ago
- › Sunglasses 27 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 27 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)