Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Is this style suitable for 30 years old men who wants to look like fun. Last post on 8/26/13 at 9:34am in Classic Menswear
What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4675post #70111 of 787232/5/14 at 4:31am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #70112 of 787232/5/14 at 4:33ampost #70113 of 787232/5/14 at 5:10ampost #70114 of 787232/5/14 at 6:23ampost #70115 of 787232/5/14 at 6:27ampost #70116 of 787232/5/14 at 6:32amPingston, I have a challenge with a jacket like that - it either looks good with cream trousers (amazing, and I wish I had some) or darker grey. Darker brown (which I usually pair it with) goes well, but I always feel like it's a cop-out. What say you?post #70117 of 787232/5/14 at 6:34ampost #70118 of 787232/5/14 at 6:45amQuote:
I guess there's nothing wrong with it, I just associate a pinstripe suit with business, while I don't associate derbies with business.post #70119 of 787232/5/14 at 6:53amQuote:
I can only agree, I inevitably wear this jacket with these exact trousers every time, it is as you say the easy way out. It works OK with mid-grey flannels (I have tried it a few times), but it is not nearly as good as with brown flannels. I have never tested it with cream flannels, but I am now curious to try your suggestion. Thanks for suggesting it, it's not something I would have come up with on my own...post #70120 of 787232/5/14 at 7:00ampost #70121 of 787232/5/14 at 7:09ampost #70122 of 787232/5/14 at 7:12ampost #70123 of 787232/5/14 at 7:30ampost #70124 of 787232/5/14 at 7:39ampost #70125 of 787232/5/14 at 8:10am
I used to have a pearl grey herringbone cashmere jacket. I loved it, but it is a little tricky to use for exactly the reason you highlight. I found it worked best within (relatively) monochromatic looks. For example, charcoal/mid-grey or winter-white/cream trousers & black shoes/boots or oxblood/burgundy ones respectively. Shirt white or those very pale/icy shades of blue or pink. Tie dark grey or black or with the cream trousers/oxblood shoes combo, you can go for a dark colour tie (navy, forest green, chocolate brown, etc).Originally Posted by in stitchesOriginally Posted by mimo
Professor Monkey is right that the default is still black shoes with a navy suit. I recall a great deal of news print when the England squad for the World Cup wore tan shoes with navy suits in an Italian-inspired ensemble...David Beckham henceforth led a GQ revolution. But that's still rather what it is: something of a fashion statement.
Not that I see anything wrong with it, and I'm wearing darker tan shoes with a navy suit today. I think as Dr Holdfast said, it draws attention away from the face, which might be an advantage Stitchy and I have already considered! Anyway, it's definitely not wrong in my book. Just a lot more casual: contrasting shoes is more or less the same as going with an odd jacket, I think.
no. the default with a navy suit is not black shoes. at least not universally. and anyone who says that there is anything wrong with brown shoes and a navy suit is a moron. its classic italian look. its just (apparently) not very british.
as i understand it, HF was more remarking on the particularly light shade of brown, or rather chestnut, that i was wearing with a navy suit. im pretty certain that that is also a rather acceptable italian combo, and some love it and some hate it, as its jarring nature is not really deniable.
I pretty much agree with both of you, in fact. For me, the default with navy suits is indeed black shoes... and most of the time, I feel that looks by far the best. But I do certainly recognise a useful/acceptable/more informal role for either very dark brown or dark burgundy. In fact, inspired by the discussion yesterday, I chose to wear a burgundy pair with a navy suit today. What I don't much like is lighter brown with navy. Obviously it has found widespread acceptability and naturally, I can rationally accept that... but my gut still tells me that it looks wrong, and I don't wear it.
If the suit is a lighter shade of blue, then lighter brown can look just fine, though. For example, a sapphire blue or RAF blue or steel blue or equally light summer suit could pair very nicely with a number of shades of brown inc. light brown. My distaste for them is predominantly with dark navy.
Anyway, that burgundy shoes/navy suit combo I mentioned. Lighting was even more terrible than usual, so the correction is equally harsh:
Edited by Holdfast - 2/5/14 at 8:29am
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › (((HD TV)))@@=>Watch Enjoy Mississippi State vs LSU Live 7 seconds ago
- › (((HD TV)))@@=>Watch Enjoy New Mexico vs New Mexico State Live 1 minute ago
- › (((HD TV)))@@=>Watch Enjoy UNLV at Houston Live 1 minute ago
- › (((HD TV)))@@=>Watch Enjoy Miami (FL) vs Nebraska Live 2 minutes ago
- › (((HD TV)))@@=>Watch Enjoy Clemson vs Florida State Live 3 minutes ago
- › San Francisco SF Bay Area Styleforum Meetup – Host Khaki’s of... 3 minutes ago
- › LIVE@@@@Watch Enjoy Georgia Southern vs South Alabama Live 4 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Apple Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura 6 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)