or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4675  

post #70111 of 78723
Those shoes are pretty amazing. Love the suit too.
post #70112 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post

Those shoes are pretty amazing. Love the suit too.

Thanks! They're Grenson.

post #70113 of 78723

What model, ETB?

post #70114 of 78723

i like the tie very much :) congrats!

 

i don't think its tooooo wide either.

post #70115 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post

Those shoes are pretty amazing. Love the suit too.

I wouldn't wear derbies with such a strong pinstripe suit. Wouldn't captoe oxfords be more appropriate?
post #70116 of 78723
Pingston, I have a challenge with a jacket like that - it either looks good with cream trousers (amazing, and I wish I had some) or darker grey. Darker brown (which I usually pair it with) goes well, but I always feel like it's a cop-out. What say you?
post #70117 of 78723

I don't see a problem wearing derbys with a pinstripe as much as wearing them with a check or plain suit. But if you've a specific reason why, feel free to enlighten me...

 

They are Grenson Kirk, Mimo.

post #70118 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post

I don't see a problem wearing derbys with a pinstripe as much as wearing them with a check or plain suit. But if you've a specific reason why, feel free to enlighten me...

They are Grenson Kirk, Mimo.

I guess there's nothing wrong with it, I just associate a pinstripe suit with business, while I don't associate derbies with business.
post #70119 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition View Post

Pingston, I have a challenge with a jacket like that - it either looks good with cream trousers (amazing, and I wish I had some) or darker grey. Darker brown (which I usually pair it with) goes well, but I always feel like it's a cop-out. What say you?

I can only agree, I inevitably wear this jacket with these exact trousers every time, it is as you say the easy way out. It works OK with mid-grey flannels (I have tried it a few times), but it is not nearly as good as with brown flannels. I have never tested it with cream flannels, but I am now curious to try your suggestion. Thanks for suggesting it, it's not something I would have come up with on my own...
post #70120 of 78723

2 Days

 


SF Family:
Henry Carter (tie)


 


 

SF Family
Exquisite Trimmings (square, Drakes)
Wolf vs Goat (trousers)
Unipair (shoes, Jalan Swirijaya)

post #70121 of 78723

I regret not buying that tie from Henry Carter. Looks great, Clags.

post #70122 of 78723
Yup I agree that HC tie is so right Clags nod[1].gif
post #70123 of 78723

A few more photos of some more winter-like outfit. More can be found here: http://blueloafers.com/outfits/winter-layering/

post #70124 of 78723
^ hey, that fit should be entered in the Friday challenge.
post #70125 of 78723
Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post
 

I like this jacket, but have a hard time wearing it because it's so light. 

 

I used to have a pearl grey herringbone cashmere jacket. I loved it, but it is a little tricky to use for exactly the reason you highlight. I found it worked best within (relatively) monochromatic looks. For example, charcoal/mid-grey or winter-white/cream trousers & black shoes/boots or oxblood/burgundy ones respectively. Shirt white or those very pale/icy shades of blue or pink. Tie dark grey or black or with the cream trousers/oxblood shoes combo, you can go for a dark colour tie (navy, forest green, chocolate brown, etc).

 

Originally Posted by in stitches View Post
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
Professor Monkey is right that the default is still black shoes with a navy suit.  I recall a great deal of news print when the England squad for the World Cup wore tan shoes with navy suits in an Italian-inspired ensemble...David Beckham henceforth led a GQ revolution.  But that's still rather what it is: something of a fashion statement.  

Not that I see anything wrong with it, and I'm wearing darker tan shoes with a navy suit today.  I think as Dr Holdfast said, it draws attention away from the face, which might be an advantage Stitchy and I have already considered!  Anyway, it's definitely not wrong in my book.  Just a lot more casual: contrasting shoes is more or less the same as going with an odd jacket, I think.

no. the default with a navy suit is not black shoes. at least not universally. and anyone who says that there is anything wrong with brown shoes and a navy suit is a moron. its classic italian look. its just (apparently) not very british.

as i understand it, HF was more remarking on the particularly light shade of brown, or rather chestnut, that i was wearing with a navy suit. im pretty certain that that is also a rather acceptable italian combo, and some love it and some hate it, as its jarring nature is not really deniable.

 

I pretty much agree with both of you, in fact. For me, the default with navy suits is indeed black shoes... and most of the time, I feel that looks by far the best. But I do certainly recognise a useful/acceptable/more informal role for either very dark brown or dark burgundy. In fact, inspired by the discussion yesterday, I chose to wear a burgundy pair with a navy suit today. What I don't much like is lighter brown with navy. Obviously it has found widespread acceptability and naturally, I can rationally accept that... but my gut still tells me that it looks wrong, and I don't wear it.

 

If the suit is a lighter shade of blue, then lighter brown can look just fine, though. For example, a sapphire blue or RAF blue or steel blue or equally light summer suit could pair very nicely with a number of shades of brown inc. light brown. My distaste for them is predominantly with dark navy.

 

Anyway, that burgundy shoes/navy suit combo I mentioned. Lighting was even more terrible than usual, so the correction is equally harsh:

 

2fh0pTc.jpg


Edited by Holdfast - 2/5/14 at 8:29am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III