I think that's pretty much right on, the navy suit/black shoes combo has always seemed more formal to me--not in the least because the focus remains on the suit itself.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:15 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
Last edited: 7/26/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4673post #70081 of 787212/4/14 at 10:56pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #70082 of 787212/4/14 at 11:09pm
Warmer today, winter is over...which is a pain as I haven't yet collected two new flannel suits and one tweed that I suspect won't be very wearable until December now! Today is two thirds of a linen suit...wasn't in the three piece mood as I've some running around to do:
Moreness (Click to show)
(SF-love: Shibumi tie, Post Imperial PS, Mazarin/Mes Chaussettes Rouges socks, Andrew Lock shoes)post #70083 of 787212/4/14 at 11:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
Professor Monkey is right that the default is still black shoes with a navy suit. I recall a great deal of news print when the England squad for the World Cup wore tan shoes with navy suits in an Italian-inspired ensemble...David Beckham henceforth led a GQ revolution. But that's still rather what it is: something of a fashion statement.
Not that I see anything wrong with it, and I'm wearing darker tan shoes with a navy suit today. I think as Dr Holdfast said, it draws attention away from the face, which might be an advantage Stitchy and I have already considered! Anyway, it's definitely not wrong in my book. Just a lot more casual: contrasting shoes is more or less the same as going with an odd jacket, I think.
no. the default with a navy suit is not black shoes. at least not universally. and anyone who says that there is anything wrong with brown shoes and a navy suit is a moron. its classic italian look. its just (apparently) not very british.
as i understand it, HF was more remarking on the particularly light shade of brown, or rather chestnut, that i was wearing with a navy suit. im pretty certain that that is also a rather acceptable italian combo, and some love it and some hate it, as its jarring nature is not really deniable.post #70084 of 787212/4/14 at 11:18pm
I think that's what I said, isn't it? It's a traditional UK default, the contrast is more Italian. Yes. As embraced by me also today. :)
Are you in a bad mood because you can't buy that suit from Spoo? And why are you up so late?post #70085 of 787212/4/14 at 11:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
Warmer today, winter is over...which is a pain as I haven't yet collected two new flannel suits and one tweed that I suspect won't be very wearable until December now! Today is two thirds of a linen suit...wasn't in the three piece mood as I've some running around to do: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Moreness (Click to show)
(SF-love: Shibumi tie, Post Imperial PS, Mazarin/Mes Chaussettes Rouges socks, Andrew Lock shoes)
Looks good Mimo, but these non-hemmed PSs must go (not only for you, I mean universally). It looks like you ripped something from a curtain at home and just showed it into you pocket before leaving home in the morning..........post #70086 of 787212/4/14 at 11:25pmpost #70087 of 787212/4/14 at 11:31pmpost #70088 of 787212/4/14 at 11:39pmpost #70089 of 787212/4/14 at 11:42pmpost #70090 of 787212/4/14 at 11:46pmpost #70091 of 787212/4/14 at 11:48pmQuote:
I was just using you as a sounding board, no idea why im mad.
Im always up late.post #70092 of 787212/4/14 at 11:49pmpost #70093 of 787212/4/14 at 11:50pmpost #70094 of 787212/4/14 at 11:58pmpost #70095 of 787212/5/14 at 12:05amDon't know why Stitchie is up this early/late.
As the unofficial spokesperson for navy suits (cus I freaking wear it everyday), black shoes and dark brown shoes are default. There, it is settled now.
I just woke up because my tank was full. I am going back to sleep.
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 4 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on trousers 5 minutes ago
- › @@@ Galatasaray Inter maci canli izle justin tv canli mac izle 7 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 7 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 8 minutes ago
- › Buttons 'n' Threads - Official Affiliate Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 10 minutes ago
- › LUIGI BORRELLI Gray Herringbone Wool FOX HOOD Coat Jacket Mens - EU... 13 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 14 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...