I think that's pretty much right on, the navy suit/black shoes combo has always seemed more formal to me--not in the least because the focus remains on the suit itself.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:52 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 8:38 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate It
Last edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest?Last edited: 5/10/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4673post #70081 of 787212/4/14 at 10:56pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #70082 of 787212/4/14 at 11:09pm
Warmer today, winter is over...which is a pain as I haven't yet collected two new flannel suits and one tweed that I suspect won't be very wearable until December now! Today is two thirds of a linen suit...wasn't in the three piece mood as I've some running around to do:
Moreness (Click to show)
(SF-love: Shibumi tie, Post Imperial PS, Mazarin/Mes Chaussettes Rouges socks, Andrew Lock shoes)post #70083 of 787212/4/14 at 11:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
Professor Monkey is right that the default is still black shoes with a navy suit. I recall a great deal of news print when the England squad for the World Cup wore tan shoes with navy suits in an Italian-inspired ensemble...David Beckham henceforth led a GQ revolution. But that's still rather what it is: something of a fashion statement.
Not that I see anything wrong with it, and I'm wearing darker tan shoes with a navy suit today. I think as Dr Holdfast said, it draws attention away from the face, which might be an advantage Stitchy and I have already considered! Anyway, it's definitely not wrong in my book. Just a lot more casual: contrasting shoes is more or less the same as going with an odd jacket, I think.
no. the default with a navy suit is not black shoes. at least not universally. and anyone who says that there is anything wrong with brown shoes and a navy suit is a moron. its classic italian look. its just (apparently) not very british.
as i understand it, HF was more remarking on the particularly light shade of brown, or rather chestnut, that i was wearing with a navy suit. im pretty certain that that is also a rather acceptable italian combo, and some love it and some hate it, as its jarring nature is not really deniable.post #70084 of 787212/4/14 at 11:18pm
I think that's what I said, isn't it? It's a traditional UK default, the contrast is more Italian. Yes. As embraced by me also today. :)
Are you in a bad mood because you can't buy that suit from Spoo? And why are you up so late?post #70085 of 787212/4/14 at 11:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
Warmer today, winter is over...which is a pain as I haven't yet collected two new flannel suits and one tweed that I suspect won't be very wearable until December now! Today is two thirds of a linen suit...wasn't in the three piece mood as I've some running around to do: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Moreness (Click to show)
(SF-love: Shibumi tie, Post Imperial PS, Mazarin/Mes Chaussettes Rouges socks, Andrew Lock shoes)
Looks good Mimo, but these non-hemmed PSs must go (not only for you, I mean universally). It looks like you ripped something from a curtain at home and just showed it into you pocket before leaving home in the morning..........post #70086 of 787212/4/14 at 11:25pmpost #70087 of 787212/4/14 at 11:31pmpost #70088 of 787212/4/14 at 11:39pmpost #70089 of 787212/4/14 at 11:42pmpost #70090 of 787212/4/14 at 11:46pmpost #70091 of 787212/4/14 at 11:48pmQuote:
I was just using you as a sounding board, no idea why im mad.
Im always up late.post #70092 of 787212/4/14 at 11:49pmpost #70093 of 787212/4/14 at 11:50pmpost #70094 of 787212/4/14 at 11:58pmpost #70095 of 787212/5/14 at 12:05amDon't know why Stitchie is up this early/late.
As the unofficial spokesperson for navy suits (cus I freaking wear it everyday), black shoes and dark brown shoes are default. There, it is settled now.
I just woke up because my tank was full. I am going back to sleep.
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...
- › Long and he is so compelling at cleaning 35 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 36 seconds ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 4 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 4 minutes ago
- › Croquis sartoriaux / Sartorial sketches 5 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 6 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 8 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 14 minutes ago
- › The "Actively Discovering 'New' Brands" Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 18 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan