Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 3:43 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4647
Styleforum Top Pickspost #69692 of 787211/30/14 at 12:26amQuote:Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey
This isn't directed at you particularly, rather it's a general point using your post as a jumping off point...
'I'm going to rock this' or 'I wear what I feel' too often translates as 'I know I look terrible, but I a going to wear this anyway'. In my view, that's exactly what we are trying to discourage here. This place isn't reddit or GQ, hopefully it's an antitdote to those kinds of places. Style can never only be about wearing whatever the hell you feel like, but has to involve actually looking good by some aesthetic standards that other people can agree on (but contrary to the belief of the kinds of people who think they 'rock' things, those standards don't necessarily involve following minutely-detailed rules to the letter). The point is that only a minority of people have superb aesthetic instincts and most people need to learn from others and educate themselves quite extensively in what does actually look good before they are able to start being more instinctive about it. And that applies to almost any kind of style - from CBD to SW&D... and beyond.
, I'm really sorry - but that fit is a perfect example of exactly what I'm talking about. You don't yet have the knowledgable aesthetic instincts to do anything other than amuse yourself. I know this feeling because this used to be me...
Agreed 100%, but its not like its his first week here, hes been given constructive advice on fits etc. and still chooses to do his own thing, not to my taste certainly or probably the majority but theres no use arguing about it :/post #69693 of 787211/30/14 at 12:38amQuote:
I'd say he's still very a much new here in terms of his attitude. Some people just resist for longer...post #69694 of 787211/30/14 at 12:40ampost #69695 of 787211/30/14 at 12:46amThere is, if course, the possibility of people having knowledge prior to their arrival. I know it seems not to be a popular idea around here, but it remains possible, nonetheless.
There is also the, equally unpopular, possibility that one might dress outlandishly, with full knowledge, and intent, fit a specific event, and/or purpose.
All that is not to say I endorse a blue shirt with a DJ, as I do not. Not that anyone here counts my opinion as useful, lol.post #69696 of 787211/30/14 at 12:48ampost #69697 of 787211/30/14 at 1:04ampost #69698 of 787211/30/14 at 2:05ampost #69699 of 787211/30/14 at 2:07amQuote:
Kind of a moot point since he won anyway. But I would at least have voted for this outfitpost #69700 of 787211/30/14 at 2:13ampost #69701 of 787211/30/14 at 2:15ampost #69702 of 787211/30/14 at 2:31ampost #69703 of 787211/30/14 at 2:34amQuote:Originally Posted by Purplelabel
What is the point in posting these everyday... I look like a hillbilly next to you guys!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
While the tie and pocket square are splendid, they should not be worn together--too "matchy matchy", dots with dots. If wearing this PS, I would recommend a solid colored tie. If wearing the tie with dots, a white, linen PS would be sufficient. Less is more.post #69704 of 787211/30/14 at 2:41amQuote:
Looks like a seriously need to step up my suit game...post #69705 of 787211/30/14 at 2:54amQuote:Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey
LabelKing developed massively during the time he was on here, even though he always had a certain eye for the flamboyant. Tirailleur has certainly changed in a very positive way too. I haven't been paying so much attention to AAS (sorry!) so I can't say. And look at Spoo and In Stitches... Almost all the people here who have stye worthy of emulation have come a long way from where they started.
I mention those three as they do their own thing ("rock" it, if you will), but they do it well. RTC probably has no interest in dressing like I do (with 6 going on 7 blue blazers), but giving those three as examples demonstrates that there is a way to break the rules and look good...and therefore must also be a way to break the rules and look not good. There is a way to "rock it" properly. And it takes far more work than dressing like I do. For example, I don't always like AAS' fits, but I'm always impressed by them.Quote:
I suspect he's very well aware. One of the benefits of consistently dressing well is getting the benefit of the doubt. Breaking rules with intent rather than out of ignorance. Whether or not it looks good is a different matter...
...though in this case, I dig it. Wouldn't wear it. But I dig it.
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate It
- › Viberg for Styleforum GMTO Pre-orders, Round 2, 2015 - Proposal... 2 minutes ago
- › NYC Tailor Recommendation 4 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 7 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and... 10 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 11 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 13 minutes ago
- › HOF: Labels, heels and nail patterns - Secrets to ID the maker 14 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...